Discussion: Season 2 Episode 9Reported This is a featured thread

Showing 1 - 14 of 14  |  Show  posts at a time
LadyAnneBoleyn17
LadyAnneBoleyn17
Season 2 Episode 9
Aug 12 2011, 7:30 AM EDT | Post edited: Aug 12 2011, 7:30 AM EDT
Did Henry really cry about Anne in real life? Or was that a fictional part of the show? 3  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
MsSquirrly
MsSquirrly
1. RE: Season 2 Episode 9
Aug 12 2011, 8:12 AM EDT | Post edited: Aug 12 2011, 8:12 AM EDT
"Did Henry really cry about Anne in real life? Or was that a fictional part of the show? "
It seems to be based on truth although he cried with Brandon in the series instead of his illegitimate son Henry Fitzroy but then the series had him inaccurately dying as a child instead of a teenager.

Here's a quote from Eric Ives biography of Anne Boleyn : " A maudlin readiness to feel sorry for himself was one of the least endearing features of Henry VIII's unappealing personality and he now indulged it to the full. He claimed that Anne had had more than a hundred lovers and, if Chapuys had the story right, he even poured his sense of ill-usage into a tragedy which he carried in his pocket and tried to get people to read. On the very night of Anne's arrest, when the duke of Richmond had come to say goodnight to his father, Henry begun 'to weep and say that he and his sister [Mary] owed God a great debt for having escaped the hands of that cursed and poisoning wh0re who had planned to poison them'."
Do you find this valuable?    
royalfalcon
royalfalcon
2. RE: Season 2 Episode 9
Aug 12 2011, 8:48 AM EDT | Post edited: Aug 12 2011, 8:48 AM EDT
LOL You beat me Sue. I have just been pouring through my Eric Ives book on Anne Boleyn - I knew I had read that report in a book of fact and thought that it was most likely the Eric Ives book. Do you find this valuable?    
royalfalcon
royalfalcon
3. RE: Season 2 Episode 9
Aug 12 2011, 9:03 AM EDT | Post edited: Aug 12 2011, 9:03 AM EDT
I was just having an amusing thought about the Duke of Suffolk. It is amazing how many tasks fell into his in-tray that historically belonged to other people - the Tudor verson of Brandon must have been a complete workaholic. 2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
MsSquirrly
MsSquirrly
4. RE: Season 2 Episode 9
Aug 12 2011, 9:48 AM EDT | Post edited: Aug 12 2011, 9:48 AM EDT
"I was just having an amusing thought about the Duke of Suffolk. It is amazing how many tasks fell into his in-tray that historically belonged to other people - the Tudor verson of Brandon must have been a complete workaholic."
True....LOL he really did just about everything plus they even gave him marital problems and a mistress at the end of his life. I guess, its cheaper with one actors salary plus give screen time to the handsomest (besides JRM) guy on the set.
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
royalfalcon
royalfalcon
5. RE: Season 2 Episode 9
Aug 12 2011, 10:28 AM EDT | Post edited: Aug 12 2011, 10:28 AM EDT
"True....LOL he really did just about everything plus they even gave him marital problems and a mistress at the end of his life. I guess, its cheaper with one actors salary plus give screen time to the handsomest (besides JRM) guy on the set."
LOL Yes I don't think he would have got so much screen time if he had not been so easy on the eye!
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
jrmslady09
jrmslady09
6. RE: Season 2 Episode 9
Aug 12 2011, 11:57 AM EDT | Post edited: Aug 12 2011, 11:57 AM EDT
Agreed!!! Do you find this valuable?    
LadyAnneBoleyn17
LadyAnneBoleyn17
7. RE: Season 2 Episode 9
Aug 12 2011, 3:21 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 12 2011, 3:21 PM EDT
Thank you for the information. That was one of the few scene's of the series when I felt bad for Henry. He seemed to convince himself that the lies were true, though we are not 100% sure that he was behind Anne's downfall. Do you find this valuable?    
The_Lady_Alicia
The_Lady_Alicia
8. RE: Season 2 Episode 9
Aug 13 2011, 11:10 AM EDT | Post edited: Aug 13 2011, 11:10 AM EDT
I also wondered about that scene; I found it odd that he was crying over her considering by that point he had pretty much grown to hate her. But, I think he was crying more out of self pity than out of any love he had for Anne. Do you find this valuable?    
LadyAnneBoleyn17
LadyAnneBoleyn17
9. RE: Season 2 Episode 9
Aug 13 2011, 12:11 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 13 2011, 12:11 PM EDT
"I also wondered about that scene; I found it odd that he was crying over her considering by that point he had pretty much grown to hate her. But, I think he was crying more out of self pity than out of any love he had for Anne. "
I agree. The saddest part of the scene is when he thought that Elizabeth wasn't his daughter. The thing that bugs me the most is that he convinced himself that. In the series he sent Cromwell to investigate Anne's doings(which he heard from Anne's ladies in waiting), which lead me to believe that Henry was indeed part of the blame for Anne's downfall. He set himself up to believe the lies. Henry may or may not have been the blame for Anne's downfall, but this is what I interpreted from the series.
The_Lady_Alicia
The_Lady_Alicia
10. RE: Season 2 Episode 9
Aug 13 2011, 12:23 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 13 2011, 12:23 PM EDT
I think Henry was far too much influenced by those around him, but perhaps more importantly, he allowed himself to be influenced. He seems to have had an impulsive streak born out of insecurity of what people thought of him. So he acted rashly and came to regret his actions after the event, and then resented the people he had allowed to influence him to cause those events. Do you find this valuable?    
LadyAnneBoleyn17
LadyAnneBoleyn17
11. RE: Season 2 Episode 9
Aug 13 2011, 12:50 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 13 2011, 12:50 PM EDT
I agree again. In season 3, Henry becomes more violent to Cromwell(and we know he was indeed to blame for Anne's execution.) I think Cromwell influenced him more than anyone. Do you find this valuable?    
lettice
lettice
12. RE: Season 2 Episode 9
Aug 13 2011, 12:56 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 13 2011, 12:56 PM EDT
"I also wondered about that scene; I found it odd that he was crying over her considering by that point he had pretty much grown to hate her. But, I think he was crying more out of self pity than out of any love he had for Anne. "
I agree, Lady Alicia! Henry was full of self pity. To have married Jane so quickly shows us that he was not in mourning for Anne on any level.
LadyAnneBoleyn17
LadyAnneBoleyn17
13. RE: Season 2 Episode 9
Aug 14 2011, 1:05 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 14 2011, 1:05 PM EDT
"I agree, Lady Alicia! Henry was full of self pity. To have married Jane so quickly shows us that he was not in mourning for Anne on any level."
Henry only truly thought of himself in the situation. He knew that if he married Jane, she would produce a son for him. If he got a rid of Anne, then Jane would be his next wife. I felt terrible for Elizabeth when she was declared a bastard.

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on WikiFoundry Central.)