Discussion: Exclusion of the codpieceReported This is a featured thread

Showing 1 - 14 of 14  |  Show  posts at a time
Anne'sCurls
Anne'sCurls
Exclusion of the codpiece
Feb 17 2011, 2:51 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 17 2011, 2:51 PM EST
Im watching Henry VIII and his Six Wives on youtube and I just have to thank the powers that be of The Tudors for excluding this clothing option from the show. Who in their right mind came up with this piece of clothing! 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
Keyword tags: codpiece
MsSquirrly
MsSquirrly
1. RE: Exclusion of the codpiece
Feb 17 2011, 3:02 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 17 2011, 3:02 PM EST
"Im watching Henry VIII and his Six Wives on youtube and I just have to thank the powers that be of The Tudors for excluding this clothing option from the show. Who in their right mind came up with this piece of clothing!"
haha male testosterone gone wild?
Do you find this valuable?    

emmalane
2. RE: Exclusion of the codpiece
Feb 18 2011, 3:51 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 18 2011, 3:51 AM EST
Didn't Henry have a prominent codpiece in his final portrait? It was supposed to be a sign of dynastic ambitions...frankly I think it looks like a man is trying too hard, like stuffing a sock down your pants, LOL.
Since they did not have zippers back in the day, I'm assuming the everyday function was 'easy access', and probably some protection from daggers and saddles. Ouch!
Any experts know for sure?
MsSquirrly
MsSquirrly
3. RE: Exclusion of the codpiece
Feb 18 2011, 5:09 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 18 2011, 5:09 AM EST
yup you are correct emmalane...here is a quote from the costumes page :

Codpiece : an inverted triangular piece of material sewn into the hose around a man's groin and held closed by string ties. Later it would become padded and boned and over sized and used to carry a small weapon or jewels. (hence the term "family jewels".
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
Anne'sCurls
Anne'sCurls
4. RE: Exclusion of the codpiece
Feb 18 2011, 1:26 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 18 2011, 1:27 PM EST
The person who invented that clothing device should have a special place in he11 along with the person who invented algebra.
You think that in the 16th century a woman or man could actually see a man with that and not bust out in laughter? It really reminds me of those cone bras Madonna used to wear in the late 80s; like a cone bra for man parts.
juliana-angela
juliana-angela
5. RE: Exclusion of the codpiece
Feb 18 2011, 1:35 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 18 2011, 1:35 PM EST
"The person who invented that clothing device should have a special place in he11 along with the person who invented algebra.
You think that in the 16th century a woman or man could actually see a man with that and not bust out in laughter? It really reminds me of those cone bras Madonna used to wear in the late 80s; like a cone bra for man parts. "
I don't know whether you have ever watched 'Blackadder', but there is an episode in series one where Edmund Blackadder is wearing a particularly OTT codpiece. His mother takes one look, rolls her eyes, sighs, and says 'Oh, Edmund...'. That just about sums it up.....
KingHenryVIII
KingHenryVIII
6. RE: Exclusion of the codpiece
Feb 20 2011, 12:21 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 20 2011, 12:21 PM EST
That is not true, sorry to be a party pooper all the time, but the codpieces were used in the series, I remember Wyatt once wearing one. 1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
KingHenryVIII
KingHenryVIII
7. RE: Exclusion of the codpiece
Feb 20 2011, 1:10 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 20 2011, 1:10 PM EST
http://tudorswiki.sho.com/photo/11676238/Thomas+Wyatt+Costumes

Here it is.
1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
KingHenryVIII
KingHenryVIII
8. RE: Exclusion of the codpiece
Feb 21 2011, 2:19 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 21 2011, 2:19 AM EST
I think I saw it on somewhen else as well in the series. I will have to look through some pictures again to find it.

Still... doesn't look good.
MsSquirrly
MsSquirrly
9. RE: Exclusion of the codpiece
Feb 21 2011, 2:56 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 21 2011, 2:56 AM EST
"I think I saw it on somewhen else as well in the series. I will have to look through some pictures again to find it.

Still... doesn't look good."
Well King Henry wears one when he poses for the portrait at the end. However, the producers and costume designer have said that they made a conscious effort not to use them. That being said, some old costumes were re-used so its possible some extras wore them.
lettice
lettice
10. RE: Exclusion of the codpiece
Feb 21 2011, 3:06 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 21 2011, 3:06 AM EST
"Well King Henry wears one when he poses for the portrait at the end. However, the producers and costume designer have said that they made a conscious effort not to use them. That being said, some old costumes were re-used so its possible some extras wore them."
Maybe JRM & Henry Cavill strutting around with a codpiece would have been too distracting LOL
royalfalcon
royalfalcon
11. RE: Exclusion of the codpiece
Feb 21 2011, 3:25 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 21 2011, 3:26 AM EST
"Maybe JRM & Henry Cavill strutting around with a codpiece would have been too distracting LOL"
Yes far too much of a distraction Lettice lol!!

emmalane
12. RE: Exclusion of the codpiece
Feb 21 2011, 3:39 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 21 2011, 3:39 AM EST
"That is not true, sorry to be a party pooper all the time, but the codpieces were used in the series, I remember Wyatt once wearing one."
Now THAT is pure poetry, LOL. And we thought the pen was mightier than the sword...
KingHenryVIII
KingHenryVIII
13. RE: Exclusion of the codpiece
Feb 21 2011, 6:37 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 21 2011, 6:37 AM EST
"Maybe JRM & Henry Cavill strutting around with a codpiece would have been too distracting LOL"
It would also be distracting to wear I think. I would certainly bang against things all the time with it and up tearing it off.

Carry weapons? Now how odd would that look. But if they put a knife in there and turn the peak to the front, they could stab someone by running into them without even using the hands! Some great way to get rid of someone without actually doing it.... All right, that image is now stuck in my head and won't leave me...how absurd...