Discussion: Books, Films and tv programs favouriteReported This is a featured thread

Showing 1 - 11 of 11  |  Show  posts at a time
mazy999
mazy999
Books, Films and tv programs favourite
Feb 8 2011, 6:01 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 8 2011, 6:01 AM EST
I say a lot of people on this have read many books and seen many films about the Tudors. Excluding the show, what would everyone's favorite book, film or t.v program about The Tudors be???
Hopefully I hear of some i don't have in my collection.....
Do you find this valuable?    
Keyword tags: Books Films Movies TV series

Reggie19
1. RE: Books, Films and tv programs favourite
Feb 8 2011, 7:03 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 8 2011, 7:05 AM EST
So far, I loved Patricia Thompson's book on Thomas Wyatt, though a lot of her material is based on personal opinion, rather than facts because not a lot is known of Wyatt's childhood, nor the three years he spent in Spain after the 1536 beheadings. Another brilliant read was Linda Porter's book about Mary Tudor, full of informative facts and details, and not in the least bit biased in favour or against the subject which she speaks of. Though, Porter does get defensive concerning comments slating Mary as a weak queen. Alison Weir's 'Lady in the Tower' is a decent read as well, but beware, Weir has a tendency to use unreliable sources to dramatize her work. In the realm of fiction (not sure if you can consider Weir's 'Lady in the Tower' factual, but anyway...) I'd also recommend Weir's novel 'Lady Elizabeth', I'll emphasize the role fiction plays in making this a fascinating read, the elements used in a lot of it is based on rumors and gossip at the time... but I did love the portrayal of Mary Tudor in it in the earlier stages of the book, viewed by Elizabeth as being more of a motherly than a sisterly figure. One wonderful film about Anne Boleyn is 'Anne of a Thousand Days', Genevieve Bujold is, in every essence, Anne Boleyn. Richard Burton was quite the regal Henry VIII as well, for me the definitive one. As for TV series, the ones starring Keith Mitchell called 'The Six Wives of Henry VIII' as well as 'Henry VIII and his Six Wives' are both excellent by all accounts, though I have only seen the latter of the two.

Reggie19
2. RE: Books, Films and tv programs favourite
Feb 8 2011, 7:03 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 8 2011, 7:06 AM EST
And just as a sidenote, though I imagine you've already seen it, the Elizabeth 1998 and Elizabeth the Golden Age movies are good as well, voraciously innaccurate, but I felt the amazing cast made up for it... the greatest problems I had with it was the inaccurate portrayal of Walsingham as a puritan, and as a murderer (he killed Marie of Guise in the movie, when the woman died of dropsy), and William Cecil being relegated to a secondary character, and being dispensed of at the end of the movie, though he played a vital role in Elizabethan court for many years to come. 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
royalfalcon
royalfalcon
3. RE: Books, Films and tv programs favourite
Feb 8 2011, 7:48 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 8 2011, 7:48 AM EST
I can barely get through my front door for books and DVD's on The Tudors lol!. I love the series of course. Some of the books I would recommend are The Life and Death of Anne Boleyn by Eric Ives - thought by many people to be the definitive work on Anne Boleyn and certainly very good. I also very much enjoyed The Uncrowned Kings of England by Derek Wilson. I am fascinated by the Dudley family and think that they have generally had a poor press over the years. This book very much re-addresses the balance. There are really so many good books and DVD's out there. The film A Man for All Season is well worth watching as there are some marvellous perforamnces with a brilliant cast. Do you find this valuable?    
freya9
freya9
4. RE: Books, Films and tv programs favourite
Feb 8 2011, 8:15 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 8 2011, 8:15 AM EST
My brother got me a great book on Thomas Cromwell by J Patrick Coby. It not only tells Cromwell's story in an even handed way but gives great insight into the politics of the Tudor court, Tudor society and how they were affected by what was happening in Europe at the time. Do you find this valuable?    
MsSquirrly
MsSquirrly
5. RE: Books, Films and tv programs favourite
Feb 8 2011, 8:38 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 8 2011, 12:15 PM EST
Like royalfalcon, I have too many Tudor books and somehow just keep buying more. Anyway here are some that I have really enjoyed.

Non- fiction:
Lucy Wooding's Henry VIII
Derek Wilson's Henry VIII
Eric Ives' Life and Death of Anne Boleyn
David Starkey's Six Wives
Karen Lindsey's Divorced, beheaded, survived
Kelly Hart's Mistresses of Henry VIII
Alison Weir's Henry VIII & his court (and NOT her Six Wives which had too many errors and her Lady in the tower is worth a read )

Not much of a fiction reader but I did enjoy Margaret George's Autobiography of Henry VIII

Presently reading David Loades' Six Wives and Jessie Child's Henry VIII's last victim which are pretty good so far.
royalfalcon
royalfalcon
6. RE: Books, Films and tv programs favourite
Feb 8 2011, 8:52 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 8 2011, 8:52 AM EST
Sue, there are certainly some books on your list there that I think are particularly good as well.. I really enjoyed Alison Weir's book on Henry VIII King and Court - I liked the way it was full of little known facts and it is a book that is very easy to read. I also have Derek Wilson's book on King Henry and David Starkey's on the Six Wives - both are also really good.. Do you find this valuable?    

emmalane
7. RE: Books, Films and tv programs favourite
Feb 8 2011, 9:07 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 8 2011, 9:07 AM EST
For fiction, I really enjoyed 'Wolf Hall' by Hilary Mantel: it's a fictionalized portrait of Cromwell and really well done though it does seem to assume that you know a lot about the Tudor era already. It made me sympathetic towards the Cromwell character, something even James Frain was not able to do [well, maybe until he begged for mercy but got the botched axe instead...]. Do you find this valuable?    
HeverRose
HeverRose
8. RE: Books, Films and tv programs favourite
Feb 8 2011, 12:05 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 8 2011, 12:05 PM EST
I really loved David Starkey's book on the young Elizabeth,I think it is called "The Struggle for the Throne." It may be called something else in the UK. I DO love fiction, but have very high standards for writing, as I studied English literature at university. The two best works of fiction concerning the Tudors are "I, Elizabeth," by Rosalind Miles and "Innocent Traitor" by Alison Weir. Both are extremely well done from a stylistic point of view.. The Miles work is a fictional autobiography and its combination of Elizabethan flavour and modern readability is brilliant. The Weir novel is about Lady Jane Gray, told through the voices of Jane and the characters around her. Both are tightly written, very tasty books that brought me a lot of reading satisfaction as well as entertainment and insight. Do you find this valuable?    
Anne'sCurls
Anne'sCurls
9. RE: Books, Films and tv programs favourite
Feb 8 2011, 12:15 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 8 2011, 12:15 PM EST
Has anyone read "Elizabeth's Women"? Do you find this valuable?    
ladyfraidy
ladyfraidy
10. RE: Books, Films and tv programs favourite
Feb 8 2011, 3:59 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 8 2011, 3:59 PM EST
I haven't read all the Tudor related books, but of the ones I have read, I enjoyed "The Sisters Who Would Be Queen" by Leanda de Lisle the most. It really changed my outlook on Elizabeth. I think eventually ultimate power corrupts everyone.
Also love "The First Queen of England" by Linda Porter. After watching "The Tudors" and reading this novel, Mary has become my favorite person of the Tudor era. I can't wait to read the novel about KOA that I have on reserve at the library when it comes in.
1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on WikiFoundry Central.)