Discussion: Amy Robsart - Robert Dudley's wifeReported This is a featured thread

Showing 8 posts
MissBrit
MissBrit
Amy Robsart - Robert Dudley's wife
Nov 21 2010, 9:20 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 21 2010, 9:20 AM EST
I watched a programme the other day on Channel 5 (in the UK) about the mystery surrounding the death of Amy Robsart, the first wife of Robert Dudley, who was Elizabeth I's favourite. I admit prior to watching this, that I know little about her, only that she was found dead at the bottom of the stairs in her home at the age of 28. I did learn that she married Dudley in her late teens, she was childless, and when Dudley became 'Master of the Horse,' he remained at court with Elizabeth, hardly seeing his wife. But then one day, she supposedly orders all of her maids out of the house, and then she is later found dead. I feel bad for her, as she has been left behind by her husband, whilst he spends all of his time with the Queen. Goodness knows what she was thinking was going on between them. I'm sure she heard the rumours that Dudley planned to marry Elizabeth. I don't know if Dudley no longer loved Amy, and saw the chance to become King. Perhaps he or even Elizabeth had something to do with it. Or perhaps it was the jealousy of Elizabeth's previous advisor, William Cecil, who was unhappy that she was no longer using him for advice. That is, if she had been murdered. Or she could have just fallen, or had cancer? But apparently, if she did have cancer, why was she ordering her tailor to do some adjustments for her, just a couple of weeks before she died? (Apparently there is a letter from Amy to her tailor at Longleat). If she was ill, perhaps clothes would be the last thing on her mind. Everyone else had said she was fit and well prior to her death. Could she have just fallen? Apparently the stairs (which no longer exist), were not the safest.

I doubt we will ever know the truth, but all in all, I do feel sorry for her. Being left alone by her husband, whilst he spent all of his time with Elizabeth. She must have felt single herself.
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
Keyword tags: None
Anne'sCurls
Anne'sCurls
1. RE: Amy Robsart - Robert Dudley's wife
Nov 21 2010, 12:59 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 21 2010, 12:59 PM EST
I recall hearing or reading that Robert and Amy were in love at a time but they were so young that Robert eventually fell out of love and perhaps got bored. I do not recall ever hearing that Rober became more important to Elizabeth than William Cecil; they did not get a long but Im sure Elizabeth knew that Cecil had more brains than Robert.
I also believe that after Amy's death, Elizabeth just shifted her reasoning for not marrying Robert from the fact that he was married to the scandal about how his wife had died so that makes me believe she had nothing to do with it, not counting the fact that the queen killing Amy seems absolutely ridiculous.
Both Robert and Elizabeth treated Amy horribly; sometimes it seems Elizabeth lives in this fantasy world where everybody is happy with her crazy lifestyle. The men she loves will be content to spend decades pining over her without and physical satisfaction or desire to marry and have children (Elizabeth's hissy fits about the Robert's other relationships). Or that the woman who are married to the men she loves just don't exist in her world and she will leave them to rot out in the country.
Do you find this valuable?    
XXXLEAXXX
XXXLEAXXX
2. RE: Amy Robsart - Robert Dudley's wife
Nov 25 2010, 4:36 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 25 2010, 4:36 AM EST
I was looking for information on Amy Robsart and i seen some modern theories on wikipedia, i thought you may want to read through? It's quite long so i'll spread it into seperate posts, and i must stress to you that these are not actual fact, they are just theories on what modern historian think!!!!

The coroner's report came to light in The National Archives in the late 2000s and is compatible with a fall as well as other violence. In the absence of the forensic findings of 1560, it was often assumed that a simple accident could not be the explanation on the basis of near-contemporary tales that Amy Dudley was found at the bottom of a short flight of stairs with a broken neck, her headdress still standing undisturbed "upon her head", a detail that first appeared as a satirical remark in Leicester's Commonwealth and has ever since been repeated for a fact. To account for such oddidities and evidence that she was ill, it was suggested in 1956 by Ian Aird, a professor of medicine, that Amy Dudley might have suffered from breast cancer, which through metastatic cancerous deposits in the spine, could have caused her neck to break under only limited strain, such as a short fall or even just coming down the stairs.This explanation has gained wide acceptance.

Another popular theory has been that Amy Dudley took her own life; because of illness or depression, her melancholy and "desperation" being traceable in some sources. As further arguments for suicide have been forwarded the fact that she insisted on sending her servants away and that her maid Picto, Thomas Blount, and perhaps Robert Dudley himself alluded to the possibility.
XXXLEAXXX
XXXLEAXXX
3. RE: Amy Robsart - Robert Dudley's wife
Nov 25 2010, 4:39 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 25 2010, 4:39 AM EST
Continued:..........
A few modern historians have considered murder as an option. Alison Weir has tentatively suggested William Cecil as organizer of Amy Dudley's death on the grounds that, if Amy was mortally ill, he had the strongest murder motive and that he was the main beneficiary of the ensuing scandal. Against this idea it has been argued that he would neither have risked to damage Elizabeth's reputation nor his own position. The notion of Sir Richard Verney killing Amy Robsart after long and fruitless efforts to poison her (with and without his master's knowledge) has been revived by George Bernard and by Chris Skidmore on the basis that Verney appears in both the c. 1563 chronicle by John Hales (also called Journal of Matters of State) and the 1584 libel Leicester's Commonwealth. This coincidence has as often been evaluated as no more than a tradition of gossip, poison being a stock-in-trade accusation in the 16th century.

That Robert Dudley might have influenced the jury has been argued by George Bernard, Susan Doran, and by Chris Skidmore. The foreman, Sir Richard Smith (mayor of Abingdon in 1564/1565, had been a household servant of Princess Elizabeth and is described as a former "Queen's man" and a "lewd" person in Hales' 1563 chronicle, while Dudley gave a "Mr. Smith", also a "Queen's man", a present of some stuffs to make a gown from in 1566; six years after the inquest. It has, however, not been established that Sir Richard Smith and the "Mr. Smith" of 1566 are one and the same person, Smith being a "very common" name. Susan Doran has pointed out that any interference with the jury could be as easily explained by the desire to cover up a suicide rather than a murder.
XXXLEAXXX
XXXLEAXXX
4. RE: Amy Robsart - Robert Dudley's wife
Nov 25 2010, 4:46 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 25 2010, 4:46 AM EST
Continued...............
Most modern historians have exonerated Robert Dudley from murder or a cover-up. Apart from alternatives for a murder plot as causes for Amy Robsart's death, his correspondence with Thomas Blount and William Cecil in the days following has been cited as proofs of his innocence; the letters, which show signs of an agitated mind, making clear his bewilderment and unpreparedness. It has also been judged as highly unlikely that he would have orchestrated the death of his wife in a manner which laid him open to such a foreseeable scandal. David Loades has remarked that when Lady Dudley was found dead, "the obvious conclusion was drawn. So obvious, indeed, we can be reasonably certain that Lord Robert had no hand in his wife's death."

I hope this has helped, i found it interesting!!! I don't think we will find out much more fact, but in cases like this where nowone knows the truth we must make our own minds up and believe what we think is the truth!! So i hope this has helped u decide what to believe?
royalfalcon
royalfalcon
5. RE: Amy Robsart - Robert Dudley's wife
Nov 25 2010, 5:09 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 25 2010, 5:09 AM EST
I don't believe and never have that Robert Dudley was guilty of his wife's murder. He was an intelligent man and would have realized that he would have been the first person to be suspected.. I don't really think that the documentary that was on British Television last week really came up with anything that new. There is some very interesting infomation on The Elizabeth Files about this case.. Do you find this valuable?    
juliana-angela
juliana-angela
6. RE: Amy Robsart - Robert Dudley's wife
Nov 25 2010, 10:29 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 25 2010, 10:30 AM EST
"I don't believe and never have that Robert Dudley was guilty of his wife's murder. He was an intelligent man and would have realized that he would have been the first person to be suspected.. I don't really think that the documentary that was on British Television last week really came up with anything that new. There is some very interesting infomation on The Elizabeth Files about this case.."
I watched the documentary and wasn't convinced that Amy was murdered at all, let alone murdered by her husband. Chris Skidmore's idea that Verney murdered her in expectation of favours from Dudley strikes me as particularly ludicrous (make him look like a wife-murderer - great way to please him...). Skidmore has since been elected as a Conservative MP - hmmm.

The fact that the jury, having read the report and no doubt heard all the rumours, concluded that the death was accidental is surely significant. I think that accident is still the most likely explanation and that breast cancer may well have been a contributory factor.
lettice
lettice
7. RE: Amy Robsart - Robert Dudley's wife
Dec 1 2010, 12:11 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 1 2010, 12:11 PM EST
"I watched the documentary and wasn't convinced that Amy was murdered at all, let alone murdered by her husband. Chris Skidmore's idea that Verney murdered her in expectation of favours from Dudley strikes me as particularly ludicrous (make him look like a wife-murderer - great way to please him...). Skidmore has since been elected as a Conservative MP - hmmm.

The fact that the jury, having read the report and no doubt heard all the rumours, concluded that the death was accidental is surely significant. I think that accident is still the most likely explanation and that breast cancer may well have been a contributory factor."
I believe the cancer spread to her skeletal system making her bomes very brittle. When she fell she broke her neck.