Discussion: I'm related to Charles Brandon and Anne BoleynReported This is a featured thread

Showing 1 - 20 of 70  |  Show  posts at a time
2 3 4 | Next

EffieH
I'm related to Charles Brandon and Anne Boleyn
Feb 22 2010, 4:08 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 22 2010, 4:08 PM EST
According to my Legacy genealogy program, Charles Brandon was my 2nd cousin, 13 times removed -- we have ancestors in common -- Robert Wingfield and Elizabeth Goushill. It also says that Anne Boleyn was my 4th cousin 12 times removed -- related through our common ancestors Sir Robert Goushill and Elizabeth Fitzalan. There may be other relations, but that's all I've had time to research so far. I was really happy when I discovered my connection to Charles Brandon -- it makes the series so much more interesting!! I'm so glad he's one of the good guys!! My main genealogy line that goes back to the Tudor period is through the Wingfield family. Although realistically, I would imagine most people of European descent ARE related to the nobility of that and previous periods -- most people just don't know it. There's an article on the Internet called "Everyone is a descendant of Charlemagne" that explains why this is. Do you find this valuable?    
Keyword tags: Tudor descendants
BoleynGirl
BoleynGirl
1. RE: I'm related to Charles Brandon and Anne Boleyn
Feb 23 2010, 8:16 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 23 2010, 8:16 AM EST
"According to my Legacy genealogy program, Charles Brandon was my 2nd cousin, 13 times removed -- we have ancestors in common -- Robert Wingfield and Elizabeth Goushill. It also says that Anne Boleyn was my 4th cousin 12 times removed -- related through our common ancestors Sir Robert Goushill and Elizabeth Fitzalan. There may be other relations, but that's all I've had time to research so far. I was really happy when I discovered my connection to Charles Brandon -- it makes the series so much more interesting!! I'm so glad he's one of the good guys!! My main genealogy line that goes back to the Tudor period is through the Wingfield family. Although realistically, I would imagine most people of European descent ARE related to the nobility of that and previous periods -- most people just don't know it. There's an article on the Internet called "Everyone is a descendant of Charlemagne" that explains why this is. "
Amazing....a descendant of Anne!!!!!!
Do you find this valuable?    
juliana-angela
juliana-angela
2. RE: I'm related to Charles Brandon and Anne Boleyn
Feb 23 2010, 12:22 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 23 2010, 12:22 PM EST
"According to my Legacy genealogy program, Charles Brandon was my 2nd cousin, 13 times removed -- we have ancestors in common -- Robert Wingfield and Elizabeth Goushill. It also says that Anne Boleyn was my 4th cousin 12 times removed -- related through our common ancestors Sir Robert Goushill and Elizabeth Fitzalan. There may be other relations, but that's all I've had time to research so far. I was really happy when I discovered my connection to Charles Brandon -- it makes the series so much more interesting!! I'm so glad he's one of the good guys!! My main genealogy line that goes back to the Tudor period is through the Wingfield family. Although realistically, I would imagine most people of European descent ARE related to the nobility of that and previous periods -- most people just don't know it. There's an article on the Internet called "Everyone is a descendant of Charlemagne" that explains why this is. "
That's great!

There was a Sir Robert Wingfield who was Henry V111's ambassador to the Emperor Maximilian in the early years of his reign - is he a relative of yours? If so, you can read some of his letters in the Calendar of State Papers (Foreign and Domestic), accessed via British History online, if you haven't already done so.
DuchessGrey
DuchessGrey
3. RE: I'm related to Charles Brandon and Anne Boleyn
Mar 1 2010, 1:43 PM EST | Post edited: Mar 22 2010, 10:57 AM EDT
Very awsome. I am related to Charles Brandon, as well. He is my first cousin sixteen times removed.

Anne my 14th great grand aunt, as I am a direct descendent of Mary Boleyn (14th great grandmother) through the infamous Carey children.

EffieH
4. RE: I'm related to Charles Brandon and Anne Boleyn
Mar 1 2010, 11:49 PM EST | Post edited: Mar 1 2010, 11:49 PM EST
"That's great!

There was a Sir Robert Wingfield who was Henry V111's ambassador to the Emperor Maximilian in the early years of his reign - is he a relative of yours? If so, you can read some of his letters in the Calendar of State Papers (Foreign and Domestic), accessed via British History online, if you haven't already done so."
My direct ancestor during the reign of Henry VIII was a Robert Wingfield who was Charles Brandon's first cousin once removed -- he was also Charles Brandon's "ducal auditor" -- I have no idea what that was, his accountant or something? This Robert Wingfield was my 12 great-grandfather. The ambassador Wingfield was probably another cousin - I'll have to research that! I did read some of those papers quite a few years ago, but that was before my interest in Henry VIII so they didn't make a lot of sense to me then. I've since read so many history books about his reign that I think I would now understand what I read, so I may revisit those -- thanks for reminding me about them!

jenniferfrance
5. RE: I'm related to Charles Brandon and Anne Boleyn
Mar 18 2010, 5:40 AM EDT | Post edited: Mar 18 2010, 5:40 AM EDT
No offense to your illustrious ancestor but Charles Brandon wasn't a good guy. He was a lecher and a pretty down right dirty guy. 2  out of 8 found this valuable. Do you?    
Nofretete
Nofretete
6. RE: I'm related to Charles Brandon and Anne Boleyn
Mar 18 2010, 6:13 AM EDT | Post edited: Mar 18 2010, 6:13 AM EDT
"No offense to your illustrious ancestor but Charles Brandon wasn't a good guy. He was a lecher and a pretty down right dirty guy. "
How did you form that opinion...?
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
DuchessGrey
DuchessGrey
7. RE: I'm related to Charles Brandon and Anne Boleyn
Mar 18 2010, 6:49 AM EDT | Post edited: Mar 22 2010, 10:58 AM EDT
Well, actually there is a difference. When you are cousins with someone, you are simply related. In other words (I use myself as an example), Charles Brandon is my first cousin sixteen time removed, therefore, he is a relation but not my ancestor. On the other hand, direct ancestors are your parents, grandparents, great grandparents and so on. Other ancestors include uncles and aunts, basically siblings of direct ancestors. For example (again I use myself), Mary Boleyn is my 14th great grandmother, therefore, she is my direct ancestor. Anne Boleyn is my 14th great grand aunt, so although she is not my direct ancestor, she is still my ancestor because she is the sibling of Mary. Hope that was not too confusing. There is, however, a huge difference between direct descent and being related.

No matter what these people did good or bad it certainity is never an unfortunate thing to be descended or related to them. I would not trade it for the world. You also can not judge these people from a 21st century mind because they did what they had to do in order to survive in their time.
Stone_Fox
Stone_Fox
8. RE: I'm related to Charles Brandon and Anne Boleyn
Mar 18 2010, 7:55 AM EDT | Post edited: Mar 18 2010, 7:55 AM EDT
"No offense to your illustrious ancestor but Charles Brandon wasn't a good guy. He was a lecher and a pretty down right dirty guy. "
I am proud to say I am related to Vlad the Impaler, what do you have to say to that? lol

periwimkle
9. RE: I'm related to Charles Brandon and Anne Boleyn
Mar 18 2010, 8:36 AM EDT | Post edited: Mar 18 2010, 8:36 AM EDT
gees i`m not related to anyone famous. So I suppose I would have been a peasant in the 16th century as well. Oh well, someone has to clean the castle. Do you find this valuable?    

jenniferfrance
10. RE: I'm related to Charles Brandon and Anne Boleyn
Mar 18 2010, 11:52 AM EDT | Post edited: Mar 18 2010, 11:52 AM EDT
I've read about him. That is how I formed my opinion. Reading has benefits. You learn. Do you find this valuable?    
Nofretete
Nofretete
11. RE: I'm related to Charles Brandon and Anne Boleyn
Mar 18 2010, 11:55 AM EDT | Post edited: Mar 18 2010, 11:55 AM EDT
"I've read about him. That is how I formed my opinion. Reading has benefits. You learn. "
I have read about him, too. And I can't see how he was a lecher in any way. He mostly married for politics and not love (except for Mary Tudor), so where do you see lecherous behaviour?
royalfalcon
royalfalcon
12. RE: I'm related to Charles Brandon and Anne Boleyn
Mar 18 2010, 12:20 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 18 2010, 12:20 PM EDT
"I've read about him. That is how I formed my opinion. Reading has benefits. You learn. "
I have also read about Charles Brandon. He does not come across to me as a bad man. He was extremely loyal to King Henry and had a distinguished military career. Henry thought so highly of him that he paid for his funeral and he is buried in St George's Chapel, Windsor - where the King himself is buried along side Jane Seymour.
HaremGirl
HaremGirl
13. RE: I'm related to Charles Brandon and Anne Boleyn
Apr 17 2010, 5:36 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 17 2010, 5:36 PM EDT
Hi DuchessGrey and Effie,
I have been researching my family's genealogy for the past two years and was thrilled several weeks ago to also learn that I am a descendant of the Boleyns (through the Sheltons.) Anne Boleyn Shelton (aunt to Queen Anne Boleyn and wife of Sir John Shelton--mother of "Madge" from the show) is my 18th great grandmother, making Anne Boleyn my first cousin nineteen times removed. I am also descended from the Parkers as Anne Shelton's son, Sir John Shelton, married Jane Parker's sister Margaret, making Lord Morley my 18th great grandfather and Jane Parker my 17th great grand aunt. Through Jane and Margaret's mother, Alice St. John, who was a great granddaughter of Margaret Beauchamp, I am the second cousin twenty times removed of Henry VIII. I have read that Lord Morley was also a cousin of Henry VIII, so I have more digging to do. I so love researching and reading about Tudor history as well as exploring genealogy and am delighted that there are others on this site that share the same interests. Hello to my distant cousins!
HalsAngels
HalsAngels
14. RE: I'm related to Charles Brandon and Anne Boleyn
May 11 2010, 10:40 AM EDT | Post edited: May 11 2010, 10:40 AM EDT
-- related through our common ancestors Sir Robert Goushill and Elizabeth Fitzalan.
Wow, I am related to Sir Robert Goushill and Elizabeth FitzAlan as well.. How cool! I guess we are related.. I think we are all related anyways but still in is nice to meet you!
Boleynpatentpending
Boleynpatentpending
15. RE: I'm related to Charles Brandon and Anne Boleyn
May 11 2010, 8:30 PM EDT | Post edited: May 11 2010, 8:30 PM EDT
My grandmother was a FitzGerald so I am probably descended from archenemies of the Tudors. But I suspect I have Anglo-Irish in there too so I'll have to find out more. Do you find this valuable?    

Chocolatepot
16. RE: I'm related to Charles Brandon and Anne Boleyn
May 12 2010, 11:58 AM EDT | Post edited: May 12 2010, 11:58 AM EDT
Genealogy is amazing, isn't it? I found out a couple of months ago that I'm cousins to some degree (I'm not that bothered about counting the generations removed) to Henry, as I'm descended from John of Gaunt and Katherine Swynford. 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
GoldenAged.ER
GoldenAged.ER
17. RE: I'm related to Charles Brandon and Anne Boleyn
May 28 2010, 1:52 PM EDT | Post edited: May 28 2010, 1:52 PM EDT
Yeah-yeah .. most of of these things are not researched correctly or calculated correctly. I don't know how many people I have encountered that have their information wrong or just copy it off of someone's tree online. 0  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
Idella
Idella
18. RE: I'm related to Charles Brandon and Anne Boleyn
May 29 2010, 9:09 AM EDT | Post edited: May 29 2010, 9:09 AM EDT
"Yeah-yeah .. most of of these things are not researched correctly or calculated correctly. I don't know how many people I have encountered that have their information wrong or just copy it off of someone's tree online."
Exactly! You need accurate and reliable records and sources for EACH individual linking them to your tree before you can assume they are indeed related to you. Take, for example the Daughters of the American Revolution - you can't join just because some software (which I imagine is using other people's tree's or some kind of collective tree like Ancestry.com's "One World Tree") told you that one of your ancestors fought in the Revolutionary War, you have to prove it with documents for each generation and records showing your ancestor did indeed fight in the Revolutionary War.

It takes a huge amount of time and effort to find these records and many are not available online. A lot of genealogists even insist on having THREE sources for one piece of information before believing it to be true. More specifically, it's well known that many people incorrectly claim royal heritage.
HaremGirl
HaremGirl
19. RE: I'm related to Charles Brandon and Anne Boleyn
May 29 2010, 12:59 PM EDT | Post edited: May 30 2010, 6:40 PM EDT
One World Tree is horrible! I'll say it again--horrible! One great source I have found (besides ancestry documents and other documents--is google books. They often have primary and secondary sources which are very very interesting.)
I am a member of the DAR and could join DoC as well as a descendants of Union soldiers organization, although I haven't done so (I have done extensive research and have documentation on my soldiers, but I don't want to be a member of the Confederate org.) I have and continue to do detailed research on my lineage that goes back to the Tudors. Whenever I have time I continue to spot check my entire tree (not just the royalty stuff) to ensure that it's accurate. I absolutely never ever assume what I find online is true--it has to be confirmed in several other places (ones that I know are not just copied from that first place) for me to be satisfied that it is accurate. Then I usually continue to check because I want it to be right (I have genealogical paranoia!) I always get so annoyed when people post what they are not certain to be accurate and researched, because that is not helpful to others. I am a member of many family lists and organizations and have been doing this for several years.

The "yeah yeah" comment from GoldedAged ER was disrespectful, and there really wasn't any reason for that. I share the same concerns as her about the accuracy of genealogy research, but I would never post a comment like that regarding the work people have done on what could very well be one of their lines. Please think before you post. I also don't understand why your profile page is littered with the pictures and names of royals who you claim to be your own ancestors. Do you feel that you are the only person who can research correctly?
2 3 4 | Next

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on WikiFoundry Central.)