Discussion: CostumesReported This is a featured thread

Showing 1 - 20 of 21  |  Show  posts at a time
2 | Next
the-most-happy
the-most-happy
Costumes
May 26 2009, 4:38 AM EDT | Post edited: May 26 2009, 4:38 AM EDT
Personnaly, I'm not very happy with the costumes of that serie. They are, for most of them, elizabethan style. I though I could see some early Tudor court gowns, but in vain...
Other thing : I don't like the way they dressed some of the ladies as "half-naked" (here, I think of Anne Boleyn, for example, the red Christmas dress of season II). I don't think Anne Boleyn would have really show off herself in that kind of outfit.
In one episode of the season II, Thomas Wyatt undress a lady in the gardens. He only has to pull on one ribbon and the dress falls down. I have made a Tudor court gown, following the pattern of THE TUDOR TAILOR, and I know this is completely impossible. I know it's TV... but!
Do you find this valuable?    
Keyword tags: costumes
MsSquirrly
MsSquirrly
1. RE: Costumes
May 26 2009, 4:49 AM EDT | Post edited: May 26 2009, 4:50 AM EDT
Totally understand where you are coming from and I must say I haven't been too thrilled with some of their costume choices, particularly the headpieces. But really having watched all 3 seasons, you can definitely see there is a conscious effort to reinterpret the period from the costumes, to the acting to the dialogue. The creator/writer said that he didn't want it to be another masterpiece theatre type of drama.

If you read the main page about the costumes and the designer, Joan Bergin, there are several interviews with her. She said that designing the costumes was more than a matter of researching the costumes of the 16th Century. Her mandate was that they needed to be reinterpreted. " The thinking behind the costumes was to present a deconstructed Tudor that the clothes wouldn't be purist and odd for a contemporary audience" She says "I wanted the clothes to say to a modern audience: 'how sexy' or 'how magnificent or whatever - not to be strange. So that meant taking the Tudor garments and adding touches that allow you to relate to them in a modern way'.
the-most-happy
the-most-happy
2. RE: Costumes
May 26 2009, 11:17 AM EDT | Post edited: May 26 2009, 11:17 AM EDT
I haven't seen season III yet (canadian-french TV is always late) but I hope the costumes are better. Even if the idea was to reinterpret the costumes of the series, I was obviously deceived. The style of "making it sexy" is also annoying me, because I don't think that the Tudor era was really a "big sex party" with Henry VIII, but that's my point.
This morning I had watched the previews for season III, and I kept asking myself : why is Jane Seymour dressed as a queen Elizabeth I lady-in-waiting...?
karenofbethany
karenofbethany
3. RE: Costumes
May 26 2009, 12:44 PM EDT | Post edited: May 26 2009, 12:44 PM EDT
"I haven't seen season III yet (canadian-french TV is always late) but I hope the costumes are better. Even if the idea was to reinterpret the costumes of the series, I was obviously deceived. The style of "making it sexy" is also annoying me, because I don't think that the Tudor era was really a "big sex party" with Henry VIII, but that's my point.
This morning I had watched the previews for season III, and I kept asking myself : why is Jane Seymour dressed as a queen Elizabeth I lady-in-waiting...?"
Love costumes, talking about costumes looking at our costume page. There is a fantastic book: Tudor Costumes through The Ages, with all information about the clothing and lifestyles then. I think the point is the soap opera "modernizing" aspect of the show and they did the same thing with scripts and characters and I for one will never get used to it. For instance, women never wore their hair down (even in later years, at a certain coming of age they put it up) unless it was a wedding or occasion to indicate virginity. It would take 2 hours to get dressed and a maid to undress one back then, Wyatt must have pulled a lucky ribbon, lol. Same goes for Kitty Howard (with her '09 hair style) slipping out of her dress in front of the king - they had no zippers and everything was pinned into place including detachable sleeves, and etc., and she had no undergarments. At least they have the night clothes pretty authentic when women are actually wearing them on the show.
Nofretete
Nofretete
4. RE: Costumes
May 26 2009, 12:52 PM EDT | Post edited: May 26 2009, 12:52 PM EDT
"Love costumes, talking about costumes looking at our costume page. There is a fantastic book: Tudor Costumes through The Ages, with all information about the clothing and lifestyles then. I think the point is the soap opera "modernizing" aspect of the show and they did the same thing with scripts and characters and I for one will never get used to it. For instance, women never wore their hair down (even in later years, at a certain coming of age they put it up) unless it was a wedding or occasion to indicate virginity. It would take 2 hours to get dressed and a maid to undress one back then, Wyatt must have pulled a lucky ribbon, lol. Same goes for Kitty Howard (with her '09 hair style) slipping out of her dress in front of the king - they had no zippers and everything was pinned into place including detachable sleeves, and etc., and she had no undergarments. At least they have the night clothes pretty authentic when women are actually wearing them on the show. "
Did it take very long for men to get dressed as well? From the looks of their clothes I thought it might not have been such a complicated affair to get dressed for them, but I might be wrong. I'm curious abou that. If women fastened their clothes with pins, did men do that too with some of their garments?
karenofbethany
karenofbethany
5. RE: Costumes
May 26 2009, 5:01 PM EDT | Post edited: May 26 2009, 5:01 PM EDT
"Did it take very long for men to get dressed as well? From the looks of their clothes I thought it might not have been such a complicated affair to get dressed for them, but I might be wrong. I'm curious abou that. If women fastened their clothes with pins, did men do that too with some of their garments?"
Go back to Season III episode when he marries AOC and you will see him getting dressed by his valet - of course, they didn't wear as much jewelry or so many layers. But dressing a noble or royalty was a full-time job. Go to the Tudors Fashions on the left, it is fascinating. And I highly recommend the book I quoted above.
DuchessRLR
DuchessRLR
6. RE: Costumes
May 26 2009, 7:01 PM EDT | Post edited: May 26 2009, 7:01 PM EDT
Well I may be alone on this one but I LOVED many of the headpeices in the series-to bad you cant buy them any where-I want to steal the production wardrobe:) However i do agree with what was said above about Wyatt pulling one string and the whole outfit coming apart-maybey if there wasnt a corset involved. Do you find this valuable?    
karenofbethany
karenofbethany
7. RE: Costumes
May 27 2009, 12:02 PM EDT | Post edited: May 27 2009, 12:02 PM EDT
"Well I may be alone on this one but I LOVED many of the headpeices in the series-to bad you cant buy them any where-I want to steal the production wardrobe:) However i do agree with what was said above about Wyatt pulling one string and the whole outfit coming apart-maybey if there wasnt a corset involved."
I love the costumes too even though they are not historically or even accurate at all, some way over the top like the dominatrix looking stuff and Anne's blue eyeshadow in one ep. lol. They all look like there's a ton of hair product on them to keep their do's. And the headpieces are stunning. I guess it's all kind of a big picture thing with the producers. Sometimes I think the men look like a gang and all they need is Harley t-shirts. But the fabrics are gorgeous and Mary's gown in the last episode was fantastic. I watch the show for the clothes more than anything. I would love to wear ONE of those gowns for ONE hour what an experience it would be...but where? To walk my dogs lol.
the-most-happy
the-most-happy
8. RE: Costumes
May 27 2009, 2:54 PM EDT | Post edited: May 27 2009, 2:54 PM EDT
Yeh, I know what you mean. I have fallen in love with "The Tudor Costume and Fashion" from Herbert Norris. I don't know if you have read this book, but it doesn't just treat about costumes, but also about the way of life at the Tudor era. As for the article that David Starkey wrote about The Tudors (that the show is a shame for the BBC), I have to say I agree with his point of view.
I do also agree that the night clothes are good, but the headpieces just keeps me so angry...
They could have done something so perfect, they had the idea, the history, everything, but I guest that modernizing the history could be more attractive and popular :(
In season I, there is a "blond-cute-innocent-girl" who Henry is charmed with, she has a 2009 haircut o_O what is that !? haha
Well, I guest I'm too straight for the series's reinterpretation!
the-most-happy
the-most-happy
9. RE: Costumes
May 27 2009, 2:58 PM EDT | Post edited: May 27 2009, 2:58 PM EDT
"Well I may be alone on this one but I LOVED many of the headpeices in the series-to bad you cant buy them any where-I want to steal the production wardrobe:) However i do agree with what was said above about Wyatt pulling one string and the whole outfit coming apart-maybey if there wasnt a corset involved."
And the scene where Anne and Henry have sex for the first time, in a kind of crappy forest, and she wears no corset, no shirt. He simply has to pull her gown and grab her skirt and there it is. I don't like it, haha.
karenofbethany
karenofbethany
10. RE: Costumes
May 27 2009, 5:34 PM EDT | Post edited: May 27 2009, 5:34 PM EDT
"Yeh, I know what you mean. I have fallen in love with "The Tudor Costume and Fashion" from Herbert Norris. I don't know if you have read this book, but it doesn't just treat about costumes, but also about the way of life at the Tudor era. As for the article that David Starkey wrote about The Tudors (that the show is a shame for the BBC), I have to say I agree with his point of view.
I do also agree that the night clothes are good, but the headpieces just keeps me so angry...
They could have done something so perfect, they had the idea, the history, everything, but I guest that modernizing the history could be more attractive and popular :(
In season I, there is a "blond-cute-innocent-girl" who Henry is charmed with, she has a 2009 haircut o_O what is that !? haha
Well, I guest I'm too straight for the series's reinterpretation! "
Oh I totally agree with everything, wasn't aware of Starkey's comments. I've always thought their lives were fascinating and entertaining enough that nothing needed to be added - maybe update some of the dialogue or try to focus on the motivations of the characters which will always be intriguing...certainly not to make up things and destroy or totally ignore people who were catalysts for a lot that happened (such as Norfolk). I think they are way out of line. I am disappointed with almost every ep., and Season III was a huge letdown. Well, there is nothing else to watch when you've seen all of the movies. The book you are talking about is the one I have - I made a mistake on the title. I refer to it again and again and wouldn't you love to see the characters in some of the costumes described so thoroughly - maybe a scene watching a lady in waiting actually help a character to get dressed?
the-most-happy
the-most-happy
11. RE: Costumes
May 29 2009, 3:08 PM EDT | Post edited: May 29 2009, 3:08 PM EDT
"Oh I totally agree with everything, wasn't aware of Starkey's comments. I've always thought their lives were fascinating and entertaining enough that nothing needed to be added - maybe update some of the dialogue or try to focus on the motivations of the characters which will always be intriguing...certainly not to make up things and destroy or totally ignore people who were catalysts for a lot that happened (such as Norfolk). I think they are way out of line. I am disappointed with almost every ep., and Season III was a huge letdown. Well, there is nothing else to watch when you've seen all of the movies. The book you are talking about is the one I have - I made a mistake on the title. I refer to it again and again and wouldn't you love to see the characters in some of the costumes described so thoroughly - maybe a scene watching a lady in waiting actually help a character to get dressed?"
Another book that I love to refer is "Patterns of Fashion" from Janet Arnold, and "The Tudor Tailor", have you heard of those books?
I am happy to see that I'm not the only once who was frankly deceived with the TV show!
But for the movie "The Other Boleyn Girl" (as the book) I think it's to romantic for the real life story. I prefer the movie "The Other Boleyn Girl" from the BBC (2004) because the costumes looks more authentic, but Sandy Powell's costumes are also very nice in the other version.
I'll try to find the article of the web of David Starkey.
karenofbethany
karenofbethany
12. RE: Costumes
May 30 2009, 6:56 AM EDT | Post edited: May 30 2009, 6:59 AM EDT
"Another book that I love to refer is "Patterns of Fashion" from Janet Arnold, and "The Tudor Tailor", have you heard of those books?
I am happy to see that I'm not the only once who was frankly deceived with the TV show!
But for the movie "The Other Boleyn Girl" (as the book) I think it's to romantic for the real life story. I prefer the movie "The Other Boleyn Girl" from the BBC (2004) because the costumes looks more authentic, but Sandy Powell's costumes are also very nice in the other version.
I'll try to find the article of the web of David Starkey."
Like the BBC one, too, compelling performances even though some of it was ridiculous (the AB/George seduction, the monster foetus) how about the cleavage when AB bows to the king? lol. The costumes, I thought were a little dowdy, especially AB when queen, all those browns! No eye candy (lovely colors, jewels, head pieces) there. I am absolutely intrigued by that movie, though, it is so strange. I hated the costumes in The Other Boleyn Girl - they reminded me of Barbie Dolls, and I am not a fan of Natalie Portman's overtly seductive portrayal; Natalie Dormer on The Tudors is so much better and multi-faceted.
karenofbethany
karenofbethany
13. RE: Costumes
May 30 2009, 6:57 AM EDT | Post edited: May 30 2009, 6:57 AM EDT
LOL i have just been reviewing Season I on dvd and there are a lot more of those 1-ribbon fall off gowns. The men had hardly any work to do. The dresses are cut so low they look like the French Napoleonic era. Do you find this valuable?    
the-most-happy
the-most-happy
14. RE: Costumes
May 30 2009, 7:22 AM EDT | Post edited: May 30 2009, 7:22 AM EDT
I agree that tje BBC movie is strange, but is based of Philippa Gregory's novel, with I'm not in love with. (Actually, I don't believe that Anne Boleyn really sleep with her brother...) Those costumes are not as colored as I would like it too, but they are nicer than the other recent movie.
Talking about that new "The Other Boleyn Girl", when I saw the trailer, the first thing that came up to me was : what's that Scarlett Johansson doing there 0_o?! She really bothers me in that movie. Natalie Portman as well, but not as much as Scarlett Johansson.
(They don't wear any shirt under their gowns in that movie too *mad* haha!)
But I'm not convince with Natalie Dormer too, something bothers me as well.
For me, Geneviève Bujold was a great Anne Boleyn. I simply loved her in "Anne of the Thousand Days"!
karenofbethany
karenofbethany
15. RE: Costumes
May 30 2009, 9:14 AM EDT | Post edited: May 30 2009, 9:14 AM EDT
"I agree that tje BBC movie is strange, but is based of Philippa Gregory's novel, with I'm not in love with. (Actually, I don't believe that Anne Boleyn really sleep with her brother...) Those costumes are not as colored as I would like it too, but they are nicer than the other recent movie.
Talking about that new "The Other Boleyn Girl", when I saw the trailer, the first thing that came up to me was : what's that Scarlett Johansson doing there 0_o?! She really bothers me in that movie. Natalie Portman as well, but not as much as Scarlett Johansson.
For me, Geneviève Bujold was a great Anne Boleyn. I simply loved her in "Anne of the Thousand Days"! "
Oooo you got me started on S Johanssen now and I will lunge off thread just to say how HAPPI i am that the Queen of Scots film starring HER as My Mary got stalled. I have never seen her do anything other than look bored, wear an open-mouthed expression, knit her eyebrows together in perplexity and occasionally show her very pretty smile, but that is not acting like the QOF S deserves. Well, Johannsen did wear the clothes well, to go back on the thread. Vanessa Redgrave was good as QOFS they don't make 'em like they used to, do they...well, the acting on the Tudors, some of it is great, despite the predictable sc ripts and dialogue.
karenofbethany
karenofbethany
16. RE: Costumes
May 30 2009, 9:15 AM EDT | Post edited: May 30 2009, 9:15 AM EDT
"I agree that tje BBC movie is strange, but is based of Philippa Gregory's novel, with I'm not in love with. (Actually, I don't believe that Anne Boleyn really sleep with her brother...) Those costumes are not as colored as I would like it too, but they are nicer than the other recent movie.
For me, Geneviève Bujold was a great Anne Boleyn. I simply loved her in "Anne of the Thousand Days"! "
Natalie Portman always looks like she is angry or about ready to cry, and her laughter looks fake, IMO. There is no way Anne Boleyn acted like that when she met Henry. She was way too over the top. And Scarlett played Mary Boleyn as a holy relic which we know is not true.
theladyV
theladyV
17. RE: Costumes
Jun 1 2009, 4:58 PM EDT | Post edited: Jun 1 2009, 4:58 PM EDT
I totally agree with you guys. I sometimes have a problem with a lot of the headdresses, not a single french hood anywhere! In season 1 I really did not like that huge mulit pointed spider looking headdress Anne wears. Made me thing of some beauty pageant crown. But I do love to draw and love the history of fashion, so I can respect the designers vision. As for TOBG, I did like the green gown Natalie wears, and Scarlett...well I agree that all she can do is look pouty or confused. And I have to admit even though some don't like the acting style, I adore the original The Six Wives of Henry VIII with Keith Mitchell, the costumes I thought were excellent and very accurate. Do you find this valuable?    
karenofbethany
karenofbethany
18. RE: Costumes
Jun 1 2009, 5:26 PM EDT | Post edited: Jun 1 2009, 5:26 PM EDT
"I totally agree with you guys. I sometimes have a problem with a lot of the headdresses, not a single french hood anywhere! In season 1 I really did not like that huge mulit pointed spider looking headdress Anne wears. Made me thing of some beauty pageant crown. But I do love to draw and love the history of fashion, so I can respect the designers vision. As for TOBG, I did like the green gown Natalie wears, and Scarlett...well I agree that all she can do is look pouty or confused. And I have to admit even though some don't like the acting style, I adore the original The Six Wives of Henry VIII with Keith Mitchell, the costumes I thought were excellent and very accurate. "
Minds think alike...
the-most-happy
the-most-happy
19. RE: Costumes
Jun 2 2009, 6:51 PM EDT | Post edited: Jun 2 2009, 6:51 PM EDT
"I totally agree with you guys. I sometimes have a problem with a lot of the headdresses, not a single french hood anywhere! In season 1 I really did not like that huge mulit pointed spider looking headdress Anne wears. Made me thing of some beauty pageant crown. But I do love to draw and love the history of fashion, so I can respect the designers vision. As for TOBG, I did like the green gown Natalie wears, and Scarlett...well I agree that all she can do is look pouty or confused. And I have to admit even though some don't like the acting style, I adore the original The Six Wives of Henry VIII with Keith Mitchell, the costumes I thought were excellent and very accurate. "
The headdress that you describe as a multi pointed spider was design for the BBC series of Elizabeth starring Ellen Mirren, or if it is the other one that Anne wears at the banquet (who looks like a marriage) it was for the BBC series The Virgin Queen. The problem is that this is an Elizabethan headdress, not an Early Tudor one. You are right, they are no single french hood in this season (even if one of the episode is in France -_-). So how could people follow a fashion inspired bu somebody how wasn't even born. That's one of the main reason why I'm personally deceived of the costume here. I do love Elizabethan fashion as much as the Early Tudor once, but in the present case, they were wrong to chose it.
For the TOBG green gown of Natalie Portman, I didn't like it so much because I thought that it wasn't enough accurate, and buy the way, this emerald color did not exist at the time for fabrics. (I seem to be really hard to please ^^')
Personally, Jane Parker's gown (red velvet) was one of my absolute favorite from this movie!
I have to admit that the costumes of The Six Wives of Henry VIII with Keith Mitchell are really nice. I haven't got the chance to watch it yet, but I have seen some screens and these gowns look gorgeous!
2 | Next