Discussion: Lady's In WaitingReported This is a featured thread

Showing 9 posts
Anne'sCurls
Anne'sCurls
Lady's In Waiting
Apr 5 2009, 9:16 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 5 2009, 9:16 PM EDT
What are the rules for the Lady's In Waitings dresses in this series? Do they all have to have their dresses made or are they assigned. And does the queen give them a guideline on what their dress must and must not have? It looks like no LiW dress of one lady is the same as the others. THe ones that looked the most similar were Anne's. Now it looks like Jane's only requirement for her LIWs were to were pastels and pale colors. 0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
Keyword tags: None
BlackNan
BlackNan
1. RE: Lady's In Waiting
Apr 6 2009, 1:44 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 6 2009, 1:44 AM EDT
I know Jane had the requirement of maybe 200 pearls, not sure on the exact number but i do remember that there was a precise amount of pearls needed on the neckline? Sorry I have been up all night. But I would imagine there would be some guidelines on the dress. 2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
lettice
lettice
2. RE: Lady's In Waiting
Apr 6 2009, 3:53 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 6 2009, 3:53 AM EDT
"I know Jane had the requirement of maybe 200 pearls, not sure on the exact number but i do remember that there was a precise amount of pearls needed on the neckline? Sorry I have been up all night. But I would imagine there would be some guidelines on the dress."
I believe Jane required her Ladies-in-Waitng to dress more in the English fashion, unlike AB who preferred the French fashion.
Do you find this valuable?    
beardedlady
beardedlady
3. RE: Lady's In Waiting
Apr 6 2009, 4:26 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 6 2009, 4:26 AM EDT
Jane required her ladies to dress in either black satin or velvet and of course they all had to wear the gable hood decorated with a band of pearls. I didn't know there was a specified amount of pearls required? That's interesting. Do you find this valuable?    
Anne'sCurls
Anne'sCurls
4. RE: Lady's In Waiting
Apr 6 2009, 8:27 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 6 2009, 8:27 AM EDT
I love me some Jane, but dang is that hood ugly. I just assumed that they would all have to wear the same thing like Padme's handmaidens in Star Wars. But the dresses seem to be different versions but have some similarities, most notably the color. Do you find this valuable?    
karenofbethany
karenofbethany
5. RE: Lady's In Waiting
Apr 9 2009, 11:43 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 9 2009, 11:45 AM EDT
"What are the rules for the Lady's In Waitings dresses in this series? Do they all have to have their dresses made or are they assigned. And does the queen give them a guideline on what their dress must and must not have? It looks like no LiW dress of one lady is the same as the others. THe ones that looked the most similar were Anne's. Now it looks like Jane's only requirement for her LIWs were to were pastels and pale colors. "
As far as I know all of the queens determined how their ladies would dress. Even Queen Elizabeth had very strict standards and if a lady looked more attractive than her, she would throw tantrums and nix the outfits. Anne introduced the French hoods for herself and her ladies, for example. And of course we read that Henry could not stand to look at Anne of Cleves' ladies and had them all shipped off...BTW I do not think the show is paying much attention to this. All dress was strict according to current queen's protocol. I do believe the ladies were supposed to wear clothes similar in style and color to the queen, but much more subdued. The sumptuary laws, also, forbade people of a certain class to wear certain fabrics, jewels, etc.
Honey-Beezz
Honey-Beezz
6. RE: Lady's In Waiting
Apr 9 2009, 12:32 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 9 2009, 12:32 PM EDT
"As far as I know all of the queens determined how their ladies would dress. Even Queen Elizabeth had very strict standards and if a lady looked more attractive than her, she would throw tantrums and nix the outfits. Anne introduced the French hoods for herself and her ladies, for example. And of course we read that Henry could not stand to look at Anne of Cleves' ladies and had them all shipped off...BTW I do not think the show is paying much attention to this. All dress was strict according to current queen's protocol. I do believe the ladies were supposed to wear clothes similar in style and color to the queen, but much more subdued. The sumptuary laws, also, forbade people of a certain class to wear certain fabrics, jewels, etc. "
Yes,your're right in your comment;it was up to the Queen to decide dress codes,Elizabeth liked her LIW in white,perhaps to keep the virginal theme? Just as Queen KOA ladies dressed in somewhat the Spanish style,Anne B. liked her ladies to be attractive and dressed them accordingly. I do not know about Jane's ladies,but, I remember reading that Katherine Parr introduced a much more subdued code of dress.
Anne'sCurls
Anne'sCurls
7. RE: Lady's In Waiting
May 6 2010, 8:18 PM EDT | Post edited: May 6 2010, 8:18 PM EDT
Sorry to resurrect a year old thread, but is the attention paid to the LiW gowns overboard because it is a theatrical tv show or in line with history? Jane's gowns looked like they would be easy to come by, but Anne and Catherine's look to have much more detail which make me think how the heck these women acquired them. Do you find this valuable?    
TheLadyTudor
TheLadyTudor
8. RE: Lady's In Waiting
May 6 2010, 8:31 PM EDT | Post edited: May 6 2010, 8:31 PM EDT
"Queen KOA ladies dressed in somewhat the Spanish style"
I've never read that, where ddi you find it? I'd be interested to know as I've always read KOA took a more English form of dress upon her arrival, and was actually very fond of the French round hoods (an early form of the French hood) when she was younger. I also like the gable hoods she wore that were fashionable in her youth, much nicer than the later ones that e.g. Jane (As much as I love her) wore.