Discussion: sex scenes in the TudorsReported This is a featured thread

Showing 61 - 80 of 84  |  Show  posts at a time
Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next
tudorcrazy
tudorcrazy
60. RE: sex scenes in the Tudors
Feb 19 2010, 5:25 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 19 2010, 5:25 AM EST
"ok, it has to be said........
although I agree, most of the sex scenes are ratings grabbers, they also serve a purpose. When Nan first told me that I would like the Tudors, I laughed and said..... I think not! . She went on to say, it has sex, boobs and massive blood and guts...... We then watched the entire season one the first night, two the second, and so on.....
While some things could have been left out, the shows awesome success is because it has something for everyone, and the fallout....... it creates a desire to know more! How many soap opera's can do this so effectively? "
such a good point. That's what soap opera do. They capture your attention, while raising your consciousness. It's like going to school, without the boredom.
5  out of 5 found this valuable. Do you?    

cntry
61. RE: sex scenes in the Tudors
Apr 12 2011, 5:10 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 12 2011, 5:10 PM EDT
"I dunno about that....I can see the king's "seed" being considered sacred but not the other end. LOL. Actually the more I think about this ...the more I think its totally inaccurate. After all, masturbation is a sin in the bible so I am sure there wouldn't have been a "witness" to it. What a subject! haha"
Im sorry after watching the Tudors on DVD and coming across this site I have to say this... You say that masturbation is a sin in the bible... that is not true...
'When a man has an emission of semen, he must bathe his whole body with water, and he will be unclean till evening. Any clothing or leather that has semen on it must be washed with water, and it will be unclean till evening. When a man lies with a woman and there is an emission of semen, both must bathe with water, and they will be unclean till evening. (Lev 15:16-18)
basically you are told to go bathe...

how ever the scene could of been deleted it did show how Henry was trying to restrain his self from finding comfort else where.
Do you find this valuable?    
MsSquirrly
MsSquirrly
62. RE: sex scenes in the Tudors
Apr 12 2011, 6:21 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 12 2011, 6:22 PM EDT
"Im sorry after watching the Tudors on DVD and coming across this site I have to say this... You say that masturbation is a sin in the bible... that is not true...
'When a man has an emission of semen, he must bathe his whole body with water, and he will be unclean till evening. Any clothing or leather that has semen on it must be washed with water, and it will be unclean till evening. When a man lies with a woman and there is an emission of semen, both must bathe with water, and they will be unclean till evening. (Lev 15:16-18)
basically you are told to go bathe...

how ever the scene could of been deleted it did show how Henry was trying to restrain his self from finding comfort else where."
Henry was a catholic in all senses of the religion except recognizing the pope as head and

[quote] The Catholic view of masturbation has been consistent for all of the Catholic Church's 2,000-year history. Early Catholic theologians universally condemned both masturbation and contraception as sinful. One such example is Clement of Alexandria, considered a saint and a Church Father, who said of masturbation, "Because of its divine institution for the propagation of man, the seed is not to be vainly ejaculated, nor is it to be damaged, nor is it to be wasted.".

St. Thomas Aquinas...wrote that masturbation, an "unnatural vice" which is a species of lust in the same category as bestiality and ******, "by procuring pollution [i.e., ejaculation apart from intercourse], without any copulation, for the sake of venereal pleasure [...] pertains to the sin of 'uncleanness' which some call 'effeminacy' [Latin: mollitiem, lit. 'softness, unmanliness']."......[unquote]

So it was against Catholic interpretation and dogma.
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

cntry
63. RE: sex scenes in the Tudors
Apr 13 2011, 4:14 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 13 2011, 4:14 AM EDT
"Henry was a catholic in all senses of the religion except recognizing the pope as head and

[quote] The Catholic view of masturbation has been consistent for all of the Catholic Church's 2,000-year history. Early Catholic theologians universally condemned both masturbation and contraception as sinful. One such example is Clement of Alexandria, considered a saint and a Church Father, who said of masturbation, "Because of its divine institution for the propagation of man, the seed is not to be vainly ejaculated, nor is it to be damaged, nor is it to be wasted.".

St. Thomas Aquinas...wrote that masturbation, an "unnatural vice" which is a species of lust in the same category as bestiality and ******, "by procuring pollution [i.e., ejaculation apart from intercourse], without any copulation, for the sake of venereal pleasure [...] pertains to the sin of 'uncleanness' which some call 'effeminacy' [Latin: mollitiem, lit. 'softness, unmanliness']."......[unquote]

So it was against Catholic interpretation and dogma."
Thank you so much for clearing that up. I keep forgetting that he was Catholic.
tudorcrazy
tudorcrazy
64. RE: sex scenes in the Tudors
Apr 13 2011, 9:16 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 13 2011, 9:16 AM EDT
I can't believe it has been 2 years since this post. I also can't believe I am still watching the Tudors. But, not for the sex scenes. It is a constant debate about history, and the art of historical research. We are living in the here and now of modern histroy. We are 2 weeks from a Royal wedding in Westminster Abbey. The French are leading a military action in the middle east. We are waiting for the president to talk to us about our economy which has been leveled by involvement in foreign wars, that no one wants. And so it goes on, and the only entertainment is the sex scenes in between. But sex is only a bodily function without romance. Were the Catholics romantic? Henry liked the romance, but not without a cause. He wanted his boy! Do you find this valuable?    
Verlah
Verlah
65. RE: sex scenes in the Tudors
Apr 13 2011, 1:04 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 13 2011, 1:04 PM EDT
I still watch "The Tudors", and I still like my favourite scenes.
I prefer Charles Brandon scenes, the scene with Henry and Bessie Blount, and the so-called "floral scene" in Season 1, Series 10. By the way, my impression has always been that Anne and Henry didn't have intercourse in the "floral scene", Anne rejected Henry shortly before. The first time they had intercourse was in France, when they begot Elizabeth.
Furthermore, I can't do that much with the Volta dance scene.
royalfalcon
royalfalcon
66. RE: sex scenes in the Tudors
Apr 13 2011, 1:27 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 13 2011, 1:27 PM EDT
I loved the Volta dance scene - I thought it was amazing. 4  out of 5 found this valuable. Do you?    
tudorcrazy
tudorcrazy
67. RE: sex scenes in the Tudors
Apr 13 2011, 6:40 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 13 2011, 6:40 PM EDT
Yes, that's a classic. Love the volta scene, 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
Lady_Amber
Lady_Amber
68. RE: sex scenes in the Tudors
Dec 28 2011, 12:19 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 28 2011, 12:19 PM EST
I loved the sex scenes, they were passionate, loving & naughty. I used to cringe watching sex scenes but The Tudors totally changed that for me, it wasn't too much but was still enough to make you blush. 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
freya9
freya9
69. RE: sex scenes in the Tudors
Dec 29 2011, 2:04 AM EST | Post edited: Dec 29 2011, 2:04 AM EST
I think that all the sex scenes were quite tasteful and fitted in with the show. The only nude scene that was a bit unnessecary was having Catherine Howard naked when she practised with the block. It made what should have been a poignant moment slightly silly. 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
HeverRose
HeverRose
70. RE: sex scenes in the Tudors
Dec 29 2011, 7:18 AM EST | Post edited: Dec 29 2011, 7:18 AM EST
I heard a rumour once here that Countess Worscester might have been Cromwell's mistress. This lady was the chief "witness" in the evidence aganist Anne Boleyn.

It would have been quite intriguing to have played out this "affair" on the show a bit. Was there a Lady Worsceter in the show? I don't remember. Anyway, that for me is the "scene that got away!!!"
MsSquirrly
MsSquirrly
71. RE: sex scenes in the Tudors
Dec 29 2011, 7:43 AM EST | Post edited: Dec 29 2011, 7:43 AM EST
"I heard a rumour once here that Countess Worscester might have been Cromwell's mistress. This lady was the chief "witness" in the evidence aganist Anne Boleyn.

It would have been quite intriguing to have played out this "affair" on the show a bit. Was there a Lady Worsceter in the show? I don't remember. Anyway, that for me is the "scene that got away!!!""
Totally agree! Instead of introducing the fake Ursula Misseldon character! Mind you, she was season 3 after Anne had been executed. But it could have made more of the Cromwell character as well.
freya9
freya9
72. RE: sex scenes in the Tudors
Dec 29 2011, 11:01 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 29 2011, 11:01 PM EST
"I heard a rumour once here that Countess Worscester might have been Cromwell's mistress. This lady was the chief "witness" in the evidence aganist Anne Boleyn.

It would have been quite intriguing to have played out this "affair" on the show a bit. Was there a Lady Worsceter in the show? I don't remember. Anyway, that for me is the "scene that got away!!!""
Can you remember which historian or source the person was quoting ?
LadyTudorsFan
LadyTudorsFan
73. RE: sex scenes in the Tudors
Dec 30 2011, 12:20 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 30 2011, 12:20 PM EST
"Can you remember which historian or source the person was quoting ? "
Definitely - Cromwell didn't get much loving on the show and that was the perfect opportunity! :)

The claim about Lady Worcester was mentioned in the book "Anne Boleyn:Fatal Attractions" by GW Bernard.

Filming sex scenes on The Tudors must have made the actors a bit cold - it was filmed in Ireland after all. :)
MsSquirrly
MsSquirrly
74. RE: sex scenes in the Tudors
Dec 30 2011, 12:55 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 30 2011, 12:55 PM EST
According to Kate Emerson 'Who's who of Tudor Women in her entry on Elizabeth Browne, Lady Worcester:

"Gossip prevalent at the time of Queen Anne's arrest did mention Lady Worcester as a source of some of the accusations against her, but specifics are elusive. Similarly, comments Queen Anne made during her imprisonment are open to various interpretations. One remark suggests that Lady Worcester had recently miscarried, but in fact, according to G. W. Bernard’s Anne Boleyn: Fatal Attraction, she gave birth to a daughter, Anne, in the year ending at Michaelmas 1536..... If Worcester thought the child might not be his, there is no indication of it in family records. Bernard, whose premise is that Anne Boleyn was guilty of at least some of the charges against her, theorizes that the countess of Worcester and others of Anne’s ladies were aware of her love affairs and only escaped prosecution for their complicity by giving evidence against the queen. As for the loan of £100, Elizabeth wrote to Thomas Cromwell on March 8, 1538, thanking him for his kindness in that matter and asking that he not mention it to her husband, since the earl did not know she had borrowed the money. G. W. Bernard’s book includes the suggestion, originally made by T. B. Pugh, that the father of Elizabeth’s baby was Cromwell himself."
freya9
freya9
75. RE: sex scenes in the Tudors
Dec 30 2011, 11:44 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 30 2011, 11:44 PM EST
I have always thought it a bit suspious that none of Anne's ladies-in-waiting were sent to the Tower when it would have been impossible for her to have liasions without their assistance. The idea that in return for their evidence they were let off scot free is an interesting one but somehow I can't imagine Henry doing this. Not when you compare his treatment of Lady Rochford, passing a special law so he could execute a mad woman. Nearly all men of the Tudor court had mistresses so it could be true that Lady Worcester was Cromwell's. Having said that I don't think the fact that he lent her money is conclusive proof since he often lent money. What I would like to know is how on earth the poor chap found time for a mistress with his workload. Do you find this valuable?    
LadyTudorsFan
LadyTudorsFan
76. RE: sex scenes in the Tudors
Jan 1 2012, 9:51 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 1 2012, 9:51 AM EST
"I have always thought it a bit suspious that none of Anne's ladies-in-waiting were sent to the Tower when it would have been impossible for her to have liasions without their assistance. The idea that in return for their evidence they were let off scot free is an interesting one but somehow I can't imagine Henry doing this. Not when you compare his treatment of Lady Rochford, passing a special law so he could execute a mad woman. Nearly all men of the Tudor court had mistresses so it could be true that Lady Worcester was Cromwell's. Having said that I don't think the fact that he lent her money is conclusive proof since he often lent money. What I would like to know is how on earth the poor chap found time for a mistress with his workload."
I think it's debatable about Lady Rochford being "mad" when she was executed. She did have a nervous breakdown when she was arrested, but Henry sent his own doctor to get her well again in time for her execution because he was determined to make an example of her. By the time she was executed, she was (surprisingly) relatively sane and calmer.
Yes, how Cromwell found the time is a mystery lol! :) It was once said that in that court, most men were like "pimps" and most women were like "whores".
freya9
freya9
77. RE: sex scenes in the Tudors
Jan 1 2012, 10:29 PM EST | Post edited: Jan 1 2012, 10:29 PM EST
To Tudor society it would seem completly normal to marry off your female relations to gain power and social standing. Women also would have thought nothing shameful in marrying for purely financial gain. Henry was very unusual in that his marriages were made for emontional reasons. Perhaps if he had been more like his contemparies things might have turned out better for all concerned. Do you find this valuable?    
FrancePetre
FrancePetre
78. RE: sex scenes in the Tudors
Jan 2 2012, 6:07 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 2 2012, 6:07 AM EST
"Yes regarding the masturbation scene I really was not that comfortable with it. I have never heard that this actually happened in Tudor times - I mean the witness, not the masturbation lol!! You are right MsSquirly this is regarded as a sin in the bible - so it would seem to me to be very unlikely that it would have taken place in this way.

I had no problem at all with the scene in the woods. As I have stated earlier I felt it had a definite purpose in showing Henry's frustation that Anne would not give herself completely to him."
indeed nonetheless , the french were catholics too and I know that when a boy masturbated , it was called "une carte de france" , this is how they found out that louis the 14th was a "man" so am unclear whether it was totally banned or... interesting question ...
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
HeverRose
HeverRose
79. RE: sex scenes in the Tudors
Jan 2 2012, 7:29 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 2 2012, 12:19 PM EST
" Nearly all men of the Tudor court had mistresses so it could be true that Lady Worcester was Cromwell's. Having said that I don't think the fact that he lent her money is conclusive proof since he often lent money. What I would like to know is how on earth the poor chap found time for a mistress with his workload.
"
While many men had mistresses, I don't think they were as elaborate a production as, say, Madame de Pompadour was. or Dianne de Portiers. I am sure Tudor mistresses were more in line with "wham bam thank you ma'am"

So Crommie could have met her in his office, on his desk, behind the tapestries, in an alcove. I am sure there was plenty of opportunity., especially for people who like secret behaviour and intrigue!!
Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on WikiFoundry Central.)