Discussion: The last words of King Henry VIIIReported This is a featured thread

Showing 1 - 20 of 33  |  Show  posts at a time
2 | Next
Dagney
Dagney
The last words of King Henry VIII
Mar 10 2009, 1:00 AM EDT | Post edited: Mar 10 2009, 1:00 AM EDT
I read somewhere that the last words of Henry was 'Anne , Anne, Anne Boleyn!' and 'Monks, monks , monks!'.Is that true that he called Anne's name in the end? 3  out of 11 found this valuable. Do you?    
Keyword tags: None
BoleynGirl
BoleynGirl
1. RE: The last words of King Henry VIII
Mar 10 2009, 1:01 AM EDT | Post edited: Mar 10 2009, 1:01 AM EDT
"I read somewhere that the last words of Henry was 'Anne , Anne, Anne Boleyn!' and 'Monks, monks , monks!'.Is that true that he called Anne's name in the end?"
what ???Where did you read this??
2  out of 6 found this valuable. Do you?    
lily82
lily82
2. RE: The last words of King Henry VIII
Mar 10 2009, 1:50 AM EDT | Post edited: Mar 10 2009, 1:50 AM EDT
On a TV documentary on Henry, they said he called Katherine of Aragon on his death bed and that he kinda mumbled/beg for her forgivness....

That's what they said, I don't know if it's true...
0  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
Honey-Beezz
Honey-Beezz
3. RE: The last words of King Henry VIII
Mar 10 2009, 2:23 AM EDT | Post edited: Mar 10 2009, 2:23 AM EDT
"I read somewhere that the last words of Henry was 'Anne , Anne, Anne Boleyn!' and 'Monks, monks , monks!'.Is that true that he called Anne's name in the end?"
From what I have read,most biographers stated that while Katherine Parr was by his bedside,He called her Jane,how true this is,I'm not sure.
1  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    
Boudica
Boudica
4. RE: The last words of King Henry VIII
Mar 10 2009, 4:09 AM EDT | Post edited: Mar 10 2009, 4:09 AM EDT
I've only heard that Henry's last utterances was "monks" three times, I never heard anything about him mentioning Anne Boleyn. I have heard that he mentioned "Katherine", then again he was married to three Katherines, but most historians believe he was loosing his memory on his deathbed and slipping away and he was lapsing back to his early years with his first wife.
0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
Boudica
Boudica
5. RE: The last words of King Henry VIII
Mar 10 2009, 4:12 AM EDT | Post edited: Mar 10 2009, 4:12 AM EDT
"From what I have read,most biographers stated that while Katherine Parr was by his bedside,He called her Jane,how true this is,I'm not sure."
That could have been true, I remember reading something about Henry misidentifying Katherine Parr as one of his former wives although I don't think I remember Katherine was allowed near Henry when he was at the very near end of his last moments. The people who were definately around him to see him in his last moments were Thomas Cranmer and Will Sommers, his fool for many years.
1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
Jes89
Jes89
6. RE: The last words of King Henry VIII
Mar 10 2009, 6:32 AM EDT | Post edited: Mar 10 2009, 6:32 AM EDT
i don't believe he was talking about Anne boleyn or Katherine of aragon, they did what he hated,they confronted him a lot of times,something Henry never forgive.

I read that Mary was at his side and he said that he was very sad to die and not marry her with some prince.
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Reggie19
7. RE: The last words of King Henry VIII
Mar 10 2009, 9:47 AM EDT | Post edited: Mar 10 2009, 9:47 AM EDT
"i don't believe he was talking about Anne boleyn or Katherine of aragon, they did what he hated,they confronted him a lot of times,something Henry never forgive.

I read that Mary was at his side and he said that he was very sad to die and not marry her with some prince."
I read he had Mary, Elizabeth and a young Edward at his side in his last moments of life, how true this is i'm not sure, but i highly doubt he called for Anne, he was still fully convinced of her guilt, even on his deathbed, i think it would be more likely he'd call out for Katherine of Aragon or Jane Seymour!
Bluevanillalady
Bluevanillalady
8. RE: The last words of King Henry VIII
Mar 10 2009, 10:00 AM EDT | Post edited: Mar 10 2009, 10:00 AM EDT
I read in The wives of Henry VIII by AF that Catherine and the children went away and he didn't summon them. It was over Christmas I beleive. Was that incorrect info from the book? 2  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    

Reggie19
9. RE: The last words of King Henry VIII
Mar 10 2009, 10:07 AM EDT | Post edited: Mar 10 2009, 10:07 AM EDT
"I read in The wives of Henry VIII by AF that Catherine and the children went away and he didn't summon them. It was over Christmas I beleive. Was that incorrect info from the book?"
That's it!!! Read that somewhere, yup, Henry passed away over Christmas, and the children were present at the fesitivites even considering their father's physical state, Katherine Parr was also with them. Thank you, a big fog has just lifted, haha!
Do you find this valuable?    
angelosdaughter
angelosdaughter
10. RE: The last words of King Henry VIII
Mar 10 2009, 10:21 AM EDT | Post edited: Mar 10 2009, 10:21 AM EDT
Henry did not summon his family to his bedside. His last days were spent with his Councilors preparing for the reign of his son, Edward. Among his last words were "I will first take a little sleep, and then, as I feel myself, I will advise upon the matter." They were in response to the urging of one of his counsilors to call a priest. Sir Anthony Denny had bravely advised him that '..in man's judgment', he had not long to live.When he woke, he sent for Cranmer, but by the time the Archbishop had arrived, Henry was paralyzed, no longer capable of speech. Henry's last gesture was to seize and grasp Cranmer's hand with all his strength in response to Cranmer's asking him for a sign of his faith in Christ's power of redemption. He did not mention any of his wives.
During the last days he made plans for his burial next to Jane, but he made no provision for Queen Katherine Parr's burial.
I think some later apologists told the story of Henry's last moments as they would have liked them to be.
8  out of 8 found this valuable. Do you?    
SemperEadem
SemperEadem
11. RE: The last words of King Henry VIII
Mar 10 2009, 10:35 AM EDT | Post edited: Mar 10 2009, 10:35 AM EDT
I believe you have stated it absolutely correctly, angelosdaughter. I highly doubt any story that Henry mentioned any of his wives, or mentioned monks. It all sounds more like propaganda to me, from the numerous political and religious factions who still wanted to put ol' Henry's memory to their own use. Really, most "reported" dying words are to be highly suspect in any case. The one who supposedly uttered it isn't exactly around to confirm or contradict, is he? :-) 3  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
angelosdaughter
angelosdaughter
12. RE: The last words of King Henry VIII
Mar 10 2009, 10:47 AM EDT | Post edited: Mar 10 2009, 10:57 AM EDT
"I believe you have stated it absolutely correctly, angelosdaughter. I highly doubt any story that Henry mentioned any of his wives, or mentioned monks. It all sounds more like propaganda to me, from the numerous political and religious factions who still wanted to put ol' Henry's memory to their own use. Really, most "reported" dying words are to be highly suspect in any case. The one who supposedly uttered it isn't exactly around to confirm or contradict, is he? :-)"
So true, Semper. I only find the ones I quoted credible because they seem so like Henry. It probably took all of Sir Anthony Denny's courage to tell Henry to prepare for the end, and even then, Henry must have wanted to believe he was not actually going to die right away and put off summoning Cranmer saying he would think about it when he awoke.
As you say, apologists with varied agendas tell the story to suit their purposes
2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
Bluevanillalady
Bluevanillalady
13. RE: The last words of King Henry VIII
Mar 10 2009, 12:12 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 10 2009, 12:12 PM EDT
Sort of off topic my friend and I were looking up different interesting famous quotations and found some of peoples dying last words....they were pretty interesting. One lady was some famous ex prostitute and drug addict (the name excapes me). She was just about to die and her last words were "Cocaine....Burbon" then she was gone. Of all the things she wanted to be remembered for...that was my second favorite...My all time favorite last "words"...or death was an old actress who was apparently quite vain (again the name excapes me) but the people in her room had the priest...she had been administered her last rights and as far as everyone knew she was dead. All of the sudden she bolted up in her bed grabbed her makeup applied her lipstick and rouge then layed back down and really died. Now that's a way to exit the stage! 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
angelosdaughter
angelosdaughter
14. RE: The last words of King Henry VIII
Mar 10 2009, 12:20 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 10 2009, 12:20 PM EDT
"Sort of off topic my friend and I were looking up different interesting famous quotations and found some of peoples dying last words....they were pretty interesting. One lady was some famous ex prostitute and drug addict (the name excapes me). She was just about to die and her last words were "Cocaine....Burbon" then she was gone. Of all the things she wanted to be remembered for...that was my second favorite...My all time favorite last "words"...or death was an old actress who was apparently quite vain (again the name excapes me) but the people in her room had the priest...she had been administered her last rights and as far as everyone knew she was dead. All of the sudden she bolted up in her bed grabbed her makeup applied her lipstick and rouge then layed back down and really died. Now that's a way to exit the stage!"
I used to have a book about famous last words. It's probably still around here someplace. Some of them are pretty amusing.
I don't remember the name of the soldier. It may even have been an officer. I think it was in the American Civil War. They were in the midst of a batlle and he was told to get down. He replied, "Don't be ridiculous; they couldn't hit an elephant at this dist_____
Boudica
Boudica
15. RE: The last words of King Henry VIII
Mar 10 2009, 12:26 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 10 2009, 12:32 PM EDT
"Sort of off topic my friend and I were looking up different interesting famous quotations and found some of peoples dying last words....they were pretty interesting. One lady was some famous ex prostitute and drug addict (the name excapes me). She was just about to die and her last words were "Cocaine....Burbon" then she was gone. Of all the things she wanted to be remembered for...that was my second favorite...My all time favorite last "words"...or death was an old actress who was apparently quite vain (again the name excapes me) but the people in her room had the priest...she had been administered her last rights and as far as everyone knew she was dead. All of the sudden she bolted up in her bed grabbed her makeup applied her lipstick and rouge then layed back down and really died. Now that's a way to exit the stage!"
It was Tallulah Bankhead and I don't think she was a prostitute, she was just under a lot of scrutiny for her bisexuality and numerous lovers. And some people say she said codeine instead of cocaine. Did you and your friend come across Oscar Wilde's last words? "Either that wallpaper goes, or I do." :)

RoyalMarie00
16. RE: The last words of King Henry VIII
Mar 10 2009, 12:28 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 10 2009, 12:28 PM EDT
I think will be interesting to see how the show uses what Henry's last words were. Do you find this valuable?    
Bluevanillalady
Bluevanillalady
17. RE: The last words of King Henry VIII
Mar 10 2009, 12:35 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 10 2009, 12:39 PM EDT
"It was Tallulah Bankhead and I don't think she was a prostitute, she was just under a lot of scrutiny for her bisexuality and numerous lovers. Did you and your friend come across Oscar Wilde's last words? "Either that wallpaper goes, or I do." :)"
Thanks for that Boudica. You are correct. It was Tallulah and no she wasn't a prostitute. Maybe a little sexually risky for the time as far as choosing partners but not a prostitute.....and I don't mean she wasn't safe she just as Boudica stated was bi-sexual. For early Hollywood that could have been a career death sentence if any rumors were to get out. It was well over a year a year ago that I had read it and it seems that as my age gets bigger my memory is shrinking. It's starts to get all foggy and mush together sometimes (LOL). I didn't hear about Oscar Wilde's but that is pretty good too. I read about Tallulah after I read that quote. Tallulah had her own great stories though didn't she! She mingled with some of Hollywoods beauties at the time that's for sure.
BoleynGirl
BoleynGirl
18. RE: The last words of King Henry VIII
Mar 10 2009, 12:35 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 10 2009, 12:35 PM EDT
SO WHAT WAS HIS LAST WORDS??
angelosdaughter
angelosdaughter
19. RE: The last words of King Henry VIII
Mar 10 2009, 12:39 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 10 2009, 12:39 PM EDT
"SO WHAT WAS HIS LAST WORDS??
"
See my first post above. At the end, Henry was unable to speak so Cranmer could not give him last rites. The last words that I could find recorded for him were in response to Sir Anthony Denny's urging that he summon a priest. He said, "I will first take a little sleep, and then, as I feel myself, I will advise upon the matter."
2 | Next