Showing 1 - 20 of 25  |  Show  posts at a time
2 | Next
LNor19
LNor19
Paintings of Anne Boleyn
Feb 10 2009, 3:26 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 10 2009, 3:26 PM EST
I found this painting of AB while surfing google:
http://www.diar.ru/marianna/photos/portret/england/Anne_Boleyn_6_s.jpg
Without being rude to the painter....it's...well not very flattering. With being rude...it's awful! I'm no fan of AB but this painting does her no justice. Does anyone know anything of this paintings origin or it's painter? The site I found it on was just links to paintings, nothing on the painting itself. Why someone would portray her this way?

Also, while surfing images, I came across images of Anne of Bohemia and Francis Walshingham(sp), I was wondering how these painting were once known as AB, and why they were mistaken for her? And by who? Are they still considered her?
1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
Keyword tags: None
annebqueen
annebqueen
1. RE: Paintings of Anne Boleyn
Feb 10 2009, 3:32 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 10 2009, 3:32 PM EST
Oh my god, that painting is horrible!!! I think its supposed to resemble the miniature of her. It has to be a spoof. Or as you said its really rude and unflattering to Anne. I don't know who painted that but i would love to find out who and if there's an explanation on how it came about, Do you find this valuable?    
jmccoy2272
jmccoy2272
2. RE: Paintings of Anne Boleyn
Feb 10 2009, 5:00 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 10 2009, 5:00 PM EST
"I found this painting of AB while surfing google:
http://www.diar.ru/marianna/photos/portret/england/Anne_Boleyn_6_s.jpg
Without being rude to the painter....it's...well not very flattering. With being rude...it's awful! I'm no fan of AB but this painting does her no justice. Does anyone know anything of this paintings origin or it's painter? The site I found it on was just links to paintings, nothing on the painting itself. Why someone would portray her this way?

Also, while surfing images, I came across images of Anne of Bohemia and Francis Walshingham(sp), I was wondering how these painting were once known as AB, and why they were mistaken for her? And by who? Are they still considered her?"
She's cross-eyed in it!!! And a red head!!! Someone had fun with paintshop on their computer!
Do you find this valuable?    
Anne'sCurls
Anne'sCurls
3. RE: Paintings of Anne Boleyn
Feb 10 2009, 5:12 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 10 2009, 5:12 PM EST
Ok this makes no sense whatsoever. That doesnt even look like Anne Boleyn. It looks like the artist took someone they knew and put them in Anne's clothes. And whoever he knew was butt ugly Do you find this valuable?    
annebqueen
annebqueen
4. RE: Paintings of Anne Boleyn
Feb 10 2009, 5:26 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 10 2009, 5:26 PM EST
LOL!!! I thought the same thing! Do you find this valuable?    
LNor19
LNor19
5. RE: Paintings of Anne Boleyn
Feb 10 2009, 5:58 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 10 2009, 5:58 PM EST
Well it's an actual painting, the latin across the top atests to it: "Anna Bollina-VXOR-Henrici-Octav". So it's not photoshopped from what I can tell. 0  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
angelosdaughter
angelosdaughter
6. RE: Paintings of Anne Boleyn
Feb 10 2009, 7:26 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 10 2009, 7:26 PM EST
"Well it's an actual painting, the latin across the top atests to it: "Anna Bollina-VXOR-Henrici-Octav". So it's not photoshopped from what I can tell."
According to Ives, the one image of Anne that survives is a medallion made during her lifetime. The nose has been defaced, so it's really not possible to form an idea of how she looked except that she had a long oval face with high cheekbones. It is plate 8 in Ives' biography of Anne. The miniature in the ring (plate 7) Queen Elizabeth I wore had the same shape of face as the medallion, and may have been made from descriptions of someone who had known Anne. He says that all other paintings of Anne date from long after her death, and the two Holbein drawings were inscribed identifying them as Anne in teh 18th century. I have never seen the image on that link, but if it had been painted during Anne's lifetime, she would probably have had the painter beheaded. It is plug-ugly. It is a shame the painter and the provenance identifying it are not labeled. For an even worse image, though, see the engraving of Anne in Ives' book (Plate 4) done in 1618.
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
LNor19
LNor19
7. RE: Paintings of Anne Boleyn
Feb 10 2009, 8:09 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 10 2009, 8:09 PM EST
"According to Ives, the one image of Anne that survives is a medallion made during her lifetime. The nose has been defaced, so it's really not possible to form an idea of how she looked except that she had a long oval face with high cheekbones. It is plate 8 in Ives' biography of Anne. The miniature in the ring (plate 7) Queen Elizabeth I wore had the same shape of face as the medallion, and may have been made from descriptions of someone who had known Anne. He says that all other paintings of Anne date from long after her death, and the two Holbein drawings were inscribed identifying them as Anne in teh 18th century. I have never seen the image on that link, but if it had been painted during Anne's lifetime, she would probably have had the painter beheaded. It is plug-ugly. It is a shame the painter and the provenance identifying it are not labeled. For an even worse image, though, see the engraving of Anne in Ives' book (Plate 4) done in 1618. "
I'm drawing a blank on the 1618 engraving, do we have it on our wiki? In the gallery or slideshow?
http://tudorswiki.sho.com/page/Anne+Boleyn+Art+Gallery
angelosdaughter
angelosdaughter
8. RE: Paintings of Anne Boleyn
Feb 10 2009, 8:21 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 10 2009, 8:21 PM EST
"I'm drawing a blank on the 1618 engraving, do we have it on our wiki? In the gallery or slideshow?
http://tudorswiki.sho.com/page/Anne+Boleyn+Art+Gallery"
No, LNor, it is plate 4 in the picture section of Erc Ives book "The Life and Death of Anne Boleyn". It is not, as far as I can tell anywhere on the wiki.
beardedlady
beardedlady
9. RE: Paintings of Anne Boleyn
Feb 11 2009, 1:37 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 11 2009, 1:37 AM EST
I remember that painting. I am pretty sure it was painted in the early 17th century. Do you have a date? Anyway, paintings were often changed years after they were painted. The eyes are definitely "goggle-eyed" too. I would guess that the the painting is a copy of an original with some exaggerations thrown in. The painter probably gave her red hair in reference to her mother.

btw, Starkey swears up and down that the Holbein sketch of a pregnant woman in very casual attire is Anne too but I am not convinced.
0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
Boudica
Boudica
10. RE: Paintings of Anne Boleyn
Feb 11 2009, 5:31 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 11 2009, 5:31 AM EST
"Without being rude to the painter....it's...well not very flattering. With being rude...it's awful! I'm no fan of AB but this painting does her no justice. Does anyone know anything of this paintings origin or it's painter? The site I found it on was just links to paintings, nothing on the painting itself. Why someone would portray her this way?

Also, while surfing images, I came across images of Anne of Bohemia and Francis Walshingham(sp), I was wondering how these painting were once known as AB, and why they were mistaken for her? And by who? Are they still considered her?"
Hmmmm...maybe the artist was Ambassador Chapuys? :P Seriously, though, I've seen the portrait before and I'm not sure who did it or when. Perhaps it was done after her death after Elizabeth became queen so that's why they showed her mother with red hair, to show a forced resemblance? I'd be interested to know who painted it as well.
The Frances Walsingham portrait is still attributed to Anne by some. It's in the wiki gallery and it's on the cover of Carolly Erickson's biograghy "Mistress Anne". I guess people think it's Anne because Frances had dark features like Anne did? Other than that I'm not sure why, because the subject is clearly Elizabethan although some posthumous portraits showed Anne in costume that were anachronistic.
Bluevanillalady
Bluevanillalady
11. RE: Paintings of Anne Boleyn
Feb 11 2009, 5:33 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 11 2009, 5:33 AM EST
It looks like a "replica" and I use that word loosely of this painting. The color is a bit more yellow but in general it is almost identical...other than Anne doesn't have crossed eyes and the quality is much better but it looks almost the same to me.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f2/Anne_boleyn.jpg
LNor19
LNor19
12. RE: Paintings of Anne Boleyn
Feb 11 2009, 8:29 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 11 2009, 8:29 AM EST
"I remember that painting. I am pretty sure it was painted in the early 17th century. Do you have a date? Anyway, paintings were often changed years after they were painted. The eyes are definitely "goggle-eyed" too. I would guess that the the painting is a copy of an original with some exaggerations thrown in. The painter probably gave her red hair in reference to her mother.

btw, Starkey swears up and down that the Holbein sketch of a pregnant woman in very casual attire is Anne too but I am not convinced. "
You mean this one: http://www.jack-of-all-trades.ca/meandmine/ab5.html
I doubt AB, being the fashion lover she was, would be in such frumpy clothing for a sketch/painting. I mean even in the sketch of Jane where she's supposedly pregnant(it's not showing), Jane has on status attire: http://www.marileecody.com/seymour2.jpg
Also, wasn't the 'Anna Bollein Queen' revealed to be put on later than the 16th century?
1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
VerelaiR
VerelaiR
13. RE: Paintings of Anne Boleyn
Feb 11 2009, 9:20 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 11 2009, 9:20 AM EST
The cross-eyed, orange hair painting is genuine, in the possession of the National Portrait Gallery, but not on display, like the ubiquitous counterpart (http://www.marileecody.com/boleyn1.jpg) - both were painted during the latter part of Elizabeth's reign, and perhaps based on a lost Holbein original. Neither are by accomplished hands, particularly not the cross-eyed one; not great artists here. Anne Boleyn and Anne of Bohemia or Frances Walsingham? I've not heard this, but Anne of Bohemia (based on her funeral effigy; no portraits of her exist) also had a long oval face. Frances Walsingham's portraits show her in Elizabeth dress.

The jack-of-all-trades image was commissioned by Charles I, and painted by the brilliant miniaturist John Hoskins (thus painted over one hundred years after AB's execution. Accuracy? Difficult to pinpoint, as we do not know what Hoskins used - a surviving portrait from life, or imagination. As for the Anne of Bohemia - no, only a wood funeral effigy of her survives. The Walsingham? That is actually a French image of AB, dating to the mid-16th C.

Angelo's daughter is correct regarding the medal and the ring; it is true that no contemporary portraits of AB survive to this day (none we know of). Another interesting point: "goggle eyed" could mean either bulging or squinting in the early 16th C. (OED).

I've done quite a bit of research on this: outside of foreign images, there are two traditions of AB portraiture with identifiable descendants: the gable hood drawing (identified as AB in the late 17th C.) and the NPG image. Frankly, the best way of determining AB's appearance is through portraits of her maternal relatives, the examination of her skeleton/skull, and life portraits of Elizabeth: Ermine, Sieve, Darnley, etc.
5  out of 7 found this valuable. Do you?    
Bluevanillalady
Bluevanillalady
14. RE: Paintings of Anne Boleyn
Feb 11 2009, 11:19 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 11 2009, 11:19 AM EST
I love the one about 7 down on the left hand side. Who did that. I just love the setting of them hunting and not "focused" on things going on. I know it had to have been much later..my guess is 1800's some time but if anyone can give me any more information on it I would love it. Do you find this valuable?    
Bluevanillalady
Bluevanillalady
15. RE: Paintings of Anne Boleyn
Feb 11 2009, 11:24 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 11 2009, 11:24 AM EST
Here is the link to the national portrait gallery:

http://www.npg.org.uk/collections/search/portrait.php?LinkID=mp00109&page=1&rNo=1&role=sit

I don't know if it is open to the public but it says that it is on display:

"On display in Room 1 at Montacute House"
beardedlady
beardedlady
16. RE: Paintings of Anne Boleyn
Feb 11 2009, 1:44 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 11 2009, 1:44 PM EST
ahhh that is where I saw that painting. Yes, it is on display. Or at least it was two years ago. Do you find this valuable?    
LNor19
LNor19
17. RE: Paintings of Anne Boleyn
Feb 11 2009, 2:12 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 11 2009, 2:12 PM EST
"The cross-eyed, orange hair painting is genuine, in the possession of the National Portrait Gallery, but not on display, like the ubiquitous counterpart (http://www.marileecody.com/boleyn1.jpg) - both were painted during the latter part of Elizabeth's reign, and perhaps based on a lost Holbein original. Neither are by accomplished hands, particularly not the cross-eyed one; not great artists here. Anne Boleyn and Anne of Bohemia or Frances Walsingham? I've not heard this, but Anne of Bohemia (based on her funeral effigy; no portraits of her exist) also had a long oval face. Frances Walsingham's portraits show her in Elizabeth dress.

The jack-of-all-trades image was commissioned by Charles I, and painted by the brilliant miniaturist John Hoskins (thus painted over one hundred years after AB's execution. Accuracy? Difficult to pinpoint, as we do not know what Hoskins used - a surviving portrait from life, or imagination. As for the Anne of Bohemia - no, only a wood funeral effigy of her survives. The Walsingham? That is actually a French image of AB, dating to the mid-16th C.

Angelo's daughter is correct regarding the medal and the ring; it is true that no contemporary portraits of AB survive to this day (none we know of). Another interesting point: "goggle eyed" could mean either bulging or squinting in the early 16th C. (OED).

I've done quite a bit of research on this: outside of foreign images, there are two traditions of AB portraiture with identifiable descendants: the gable hood drawing (identified as AB in the late 17th C.) and the NPG image. Frankly, the best way of determining AB's appearance is through portraits of her maternal relatives, the examination of her skeleton/skull, and life portraits of Elizabeth: Ermine, Sieve, Darnley, etc. "
I should've been more clear, Anne of Bohemia and Hungary: http://www.museothyssen.org/thyssen/img/obra761/museo_thyssen_f_609_103.jpg
There are images that are labeled AB, when it's Anne of Bohemia, for example: http://www.heritage-history.com/books/abbott/elizabeth/zpage020.gif
I was just curious as to how the two were ever confused.
Bluevanillalady
Bluevanillalady
18. RE: Paintings of Anne Boleyn
Feb 11 2009, 2:12 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 11 2009, 2:12 PM EST
My guess is this person was not training witht he Holbeins... Do you find this valuable?    
VerelaiR
VerelaiR
19. RE: Paintings of Anne Boleyn
Feb 11 2009, 2:59 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 11 2009, 2:59 PM EST
The heritage-history.com link leads to a likeness identified as Anne Boleyn - but it is a relatively modern copy of (possibly) original work by Holbein: the face is of a typical early 19th C. prototype; a stereotype. I have it in Singer's 1821 edition of "Life of Wolsey" by George Cavendish, which incorporates the first real biography of AB (a counterpoint to Sander) by George Wyatt. This link is a poor reproduction of the original etching. The work's provenance is iffy at best.

Anne of Bohemia - there was an Anne of Bohemia, Queen of England, the consort of Richard II - as well as Anne of Bohemia/Hungary, who married Ferdinand of Austria (Joanna of Castile's son). Her portraits are without question; Anne of Bohemia/Hungary did not resemble AB in the least, and is shown wearing eastern European dress.

All the images of AB show her in traditional English dress, but it would have been intriguing to envision her in French dress. In the series Natalie Dormer recounts dressing as an Amazon warrior, blazing a sword, in the court at Malines. That was actually Margaret of Austria.

Some of my information re: the cross eyed AB might be out of date, as it was not on display when I studied this in London. How anyone would want such an inferior work to be displayed is astonishing. It is definitely 16th C., but it's certainly not by a trained artist.
2 | Next