Discussion: Did Henry regret what became of Anne Boleyn on his deathbed?Reported This is a featured thread

Showing 1 - 20 of 73  |  Show  posts at a time
2 3 4 | Next

Reggie19
Did Henry regret what became of Anne Boleyn on his deathbed?
Feb 3 2009, 6:27 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 3 2009, 6:27 AM EST
I've often wondered if Henry ever regretted the fate that befell his second wife, Anne Boleyn. It is said that he refused contact with their daughter, Elizabeth for some time after her mother's death. She was eventually welcomed back to court though, and it is well known that Elizabeth had the same dark eyes as her mother. I wonder when Henry looked at Elizabeth, did he think of Anne, did he think he made the right decision about her execution. Just a thought! 11  out of 17 found this valuable. Do you?    
Keyword tags: Anne Boleyn Elizabeth Henry
eryniel
eryniel
1. RE: Did Henry regret what became of Anne Boleyn on his deathbed?
Feb 3 2009, 6:32 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 3 2009, 6:32 AM EST
Somehow, I really doubt it. From what I understand, Henry demanded that everything associated with Anne was pretty much erased after her death, so as to have to reminders of her around him. I think by the time of her execution he had convinced himself of her guilt and wickedness, and would never likely have gone back on that, particularly considering how paranoid and self-deluded he was at the end of his life. I defer to more informed opinion, but I'd guess that Anne was the last thing on his mind on his deathbed. 4  out of 5 found this valuable. Do you?    
Bluevanillalady
Bluevanillalady
2. RE: Did Henry regret what became of Anne Boleyn on his deathbed?
Feb 3 2009, 6:52 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 3 2009, 6:52 AM EST
"I've often wondered if Henry ever regretted the fate that befell his second wife, Anne Boleyn. It is said that he refused contact with their daughter, Elizabeth for some time after her mother's death. She was eventually welcomed back to court though, and it is well known that Elizabeth had the same dark eyes as her mother. I wonder when Henry looked at Elizabeth, did he think of Anne, did he think he made the right decision about her execution. Just a thought!"
How could you not look at the child of your dead wife (at your hand or not) and not see something of her. I think he needed time before it "didn't bother" him any longer. Him getting rid of everything Anne would almost confirm that for me. An over purge of all things Anne shows me personally that he did think about it.
7  out of 7 found this valuable. Do you?    
lettice
lettice
3. RE: Did Henry regret what became of Anne Boleyn on his deathbed?
Feb 3 2009, 7:54 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 3 2009, 7:54 AM EST
"How could you not look at the child of your dead wife (at your hand or not) and not see something of her. I think he needed time before it "didn't bother" him any longer. Him getting rid of everything Anne would almost confirm that for me. An over purge of all things Anne shows me personally that he did think about it. "
I read that Elizabeth had to be kept away from Henry for quite some time "for her own safety". Aside from her Tudor coloring, Elizabeth looked like her mother & often times people at court would intimate that she was not Henry's.
Katherine Parr did the most to get Elizabeth back into Henry's good graces. Once Henry saw what a precocious child she was, he took pride in her. By that time he did have his longed for son & heir, so all was well.
4  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    
Boudica
Boudica
4. RE: Did Henry regret what became of Anne Boleyn on his deathbed?
Feb 3 2009, 8:03 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 3 2009, 8:03 AM EST
"I've often wondered if Henry ever regretted the fate that befell his second wife, Anne Boleyn. It is said that he refused contact with their daughter, Elizabeth for some time after her mother's death. She was eventually welcomed back to court though, and it is well known that Elizabeth had the same dark eyes as her mother. I wonder when Henry looked at Elizabeth, did he think of Anne, did he think he made the right decision about her execution. Just a thought!"
Elizabeth was kept away from court but records show she returned to court functions as early as October 1536 and was treated as the King's daugther although she was still of illegitimate status. I don't think Henry could have regreted what happened to Anne because he needed to become completely convinced of her guilt in order to condemn her as he did. After her arrest, the King had related to Henry Fitzroy that Anne was "a poisoning whore" who betrayed him with a hundred men. If he still believed so strongly these circumstances at the time of his death is uncertain, but I think he must have been completely convinced that what he did was right.
3  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    

LadyJane1961
5. RE: Did Henry regret what became of Anne Boleyn on his deathbed?
Feb 3 2009, 8:13 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 3 2009, 8:13 AM EST
I DONT THINK SO . AFTER SHE GOT KILLED (SHE WAS KILLED BECAUSE ALL THE EVIDENCE THAT THEY HAD ABOUT HER WAS ALL A LIE) AND ALL THROUGH HIS LIFE AFTER SHE WAS KILLED HE CALLED HER WHORE SO I DONT THINK HE HAD ANY REGRETS. HE HAD AN EGO SO BIG THAT HE THOUGHT THAT EVERYTHING THAT HE DID OR SAID WAS ALWAYS RIGHT 10  out of 12 found this valuable. Do you?    
angelosdaughter
angelosdaughter
6. RE: Did Henry regret what became of Anne Boleyn on his deathbed?
Feb 3 2009, 9:12 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 3 2009, 9:12 AM EST
Maybe Henry did look at Elizabeth and think of Anne, and the last thing he wanted to think of was Anne. He had come to loathe Anne and wanted to be rid of all trace of her. Even there he placed the blame on Anne rather than himself.
If Henry ever regretted executing Anne, there is no record of him expressing it. He was not given much to regret, except it seems for the men of conscience he had to execute to get her.
3  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
angelosdaughter
angelosdaughter
7. RE: Did Henry regret what became of Anne Boleyn on his deathbed?
Feb 3 2009, 9:15 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 3 2009, 9:15 AM EST
" If Henry ever regretted executing Anne, there is no record of him expressing it. He was not given much to regret, except it seems for the men of conscience he had to execute to get her."
I meant to say,
If Henry ever regretted executing Anne, there is no record of him expressing it. He was not given much to regret, except it seems for the men of conscience he had to execute to get her. And even there, he placed the blame on Anne rather then himself.
3  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
karenofbethany
karenofbethany
8. RE: Did Henry regret what became of Anne Boleyn on his deathbed?
Feb 3 2009, 11:54 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 3 2009, 11:54 AM EST
I think Henry had a talent (?) for mentally erasing all of his bad deeds and finding ways of justifying his behavior. Who knows what he thought about late at night (other than who he could bed or when the next meal was - lol). As other wiki members have said here (a lot of it I did not know), his behavior pretty much displays his attitude. What I vehemently dislike about him was that he was so uncaringly destructive to people and even institutions that simply did not agree with him. He was the classic meglomaniac, and it is a shame, because he was not raised to be so. If he had any regret about what he did to Anne, it sure didn't influence his behavior to do it to a lot of others.

Your comment about the eyes - probably if he did look at her eyes it just served to make him angrier if she reminded him of Anne. My own mother's father left before she was born and she looked just like him. She was raised never forgetting "you look and act just like your father".
3  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    
karenofbethany
karenofbethany
9. RE: Did Henry regret what became of Anne Boleyn on his deathbed?
Feb 3 2009, 11:56 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 3 2009, 11:56 AM EST
"Somehow, I really doubt it. From what I understand, Henry demanded that everything associated with Anne was pretty much erased after her death, so as to have to reminders of her around him. I think by the time of her execution he had convinced himself of her guilt and wickedness, and would never likely have gone back on that, particularly considering how paranoid and self-deluded he was at the end of his life. I defer to more informed opinion, but I'd guess that Anne was the last thing on his mind on his deathbed."
Interesting comment. Makes me think: At the moment of death, it's said that a lot of deeds come rushing back to you and you do have some kind of regrets if you have any conscience. Henry squeezed Cranmer's hand when asked if he repented of his sins. Who knows?
2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
karenofbethany
karenofbethany
10. RE: Did Henry regret what became of Anne Boleyn on his deathbed?
Feb 3 2009, 11:57 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 3 2009, 11:57 AM EST
"I read that Elizabeth had to be kept away from Henry for quite some time "for her own safety". Aside from her Tudor coloring, Elizabeth looked like her mother & often times people at court would intimate that she was not Henry's.
Katherine Parr did the most to get Elizabeth back into Henry's good graces. Once Henry saw what a precocious child she was, he took pride in her. By that time he did have his longed for son & heir, so all was well."
I thought Elizabeth looked like Henry (in coloring, etc.) and thought her eyes were a golden brown, or something. Honestly I don't recall reading her eyes were black, but she may have had a lot of her mom's personality and mannerisms. She certainly was a feisty enough lady.
Do you find this valuable?    
karenofbethany
karenofbethany
11. RE: Did Henry regret what became of Anne Boleyn on his deathbed?
Feb 3 2009, 12:00 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 3 2009, 12:00 PM EST
"Elizabeth was kept away from court but records show she returned to court functions as early as October 1536 and was treated as the King's daugther although she was still of illegitimate status. I don't think Henry could have regreted what happened to Anne because he needed to become completely convinced of her guilt in order to condemn her as he did. After her arrest, the King had related to Henry Fitzroy that Anne was "a poisoning whore" who betrayed him with a hundred men. If he still believed so strongly these circumstances at the time of his death is uncertain, but I think he must have been completely convinced that what he did was right. "
There's no way I feel Henry was "convinced of her guilt". I think he knew all along it was a set up and went along with whatever his counselors told him because he made it clear to them he wanted rid of her. The charges were patently ridiculous, since if she had slept with any number of men it would have been reported to him eventually (C. Howard). He was tired of her, and jumped on the witchcraft excuse like the other lies. Of course, never admitting he had "allowed" himself to be seduced, or that it was he who originally did the seducing. IMO
11  out of 11 found this valuable. Do you?    
jmccoy2272
jmccoy2272
12. RE: Did Henry regret what became of Anne Boleyn on his deathbed?
Feb 3 2009, 4:33 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 3 2009, 4:33 PM EST
"
Your comment about the eyes - probably if he did look at her eyes it just served to make him angrier if she reminded him of Anne. My own mother's father left before she was born and she looked just like him. She was raised never forgetting "you look and act just like your father". "
I concur with everyone here. Either he was convinced of her guilt or was just stubborn enough to not admit he was wrong (although I also agree that what goes on between man and God is known only to the two- he could have begged forgiveness) As far as Elizabeth goes, she probably only showed him a pieces of her personality that he would approve of and Henry was probably so vain he saw past the Anne Boleyn traits and only saw himself in her when she did well. Now if she would have screwed up in some way he probably would have turned on her and blamed anything bad she did on being Anne's daughter

KOB my family did the same to me too- my mother hurt my father very badly and left him and me. Growing up all I heard was comparisons between myself and her in that same quote- and I do look exactly like my mother-

1  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
angelosdaughter
angelosdaughter
13. RE: Did Henry regret what became of Anne Boleyn on his deathbed?
Feb 3 2009, 4:51 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 3 2009, 4:51 PM EST
"Interesting comment. Makes me think: At the moment of death, it's said that a lot of deeds come rushing back to you and you do have some kind of regrets if you have any conscience. Henry squeezed Cranmer's hand when asked if he repented of his sins. Who knows?"
Henry squeezed Cranmer's hand in response to the question "Do you believe in the redemptive power of Christ.?"
2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
angelosdaughter
angelosdaughter
14. RE: Did Henry regret what became of Anne Boleyn on his deathbed?
Feb 3 2009, 4:54 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 3 2009, 4:54 PM EST
"There's no way I feel Henry was "convinced of her guilt". I think he knew all along it was a set up and went along with whatever his counselors told him because he made it clear to them he wanted rid of her. The charges were patently ridiculous, since if she had slept with any number of men it would have been reported to him eventually (C. Howard). He was tired of her, and jumped on the witchcraft excuse like the other lies. Of course, never admitting he had "allowed" himself to be seduced, or that it was he who originally did the seducing. IMO"
Henry was capable of amazing self-deception and in his own mind he was never wrong. He probably did believe in Anne's guilt. That is probably how he was able to carry out such an atrocity. He made himsefl believe that the evidence he bought and paid for was true.
2  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    
annebqueen
annebqueen
15. RE: Did Henry regret what became of Anne Boleyn on his deathbed?
Feb 3 2009, 4:59 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 3 2009, 4:59 PM EST
"Henry was capable of amazing self-deception and in his own mind he was never wrong. He probably did believe in Anne's guilt. That is probably how he was able to carry out such an atrocity. He made himsefl believe that the evidence he bought and paid for was true. "
I totally agree with Angelosdaughter. Although in my own mind i would hope he had some regret about what happened to Anne. As it was based on lies and corruption.
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
karenofbethany
karenofbethany
16. RE: Did Henry regret what became of Anne Boleyn on his deathbed?
Feb 3 2009, 5:44 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 3 2009, 5:44 PM EST
"I concur with everyone here. Either he was convinced of her guilt or was just stubborn enough to not admit he was wrong (although I also agree that what goes on between man and God is known only to the two- he could have begged forgiveness) As far as Elizabeth goes, she probably only showed him a pieces of her personality that he would approve of and Henry was probably so vain he saw past the Anne Boleyn traits and only saw himself in her when she did well. Now if she would have screwed up in some way he probably would have turned on her and blamed anything bad she did on being Anne's daughter

KOB my family did the same to me too- my mother hurt my father very badly and left him and me. Growing up all I heard was comparisons between myself and her in that same quote- and I do look exactly like my mother-

"
God's justice! From you are pictures you are beautiful, as I am sure she was.
karenofbethany
karenofbethany
17. RE: Did Henry regret what became of Anne Boleyn on his deathbed?
Feb 3 2009, 5:46 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 3 2009, 5:46 PM EST
"Henry squeezed Cranmer's hand in response to the question "Do you believe in the redemptive power of Christ.?""
Right, which in essence means, "Do you believe through Christ your sins have been redeemed", and he had been in and out of consciousness, so he may have quickly did an inventory of his past behaviors...in "Henry VIII" the film starts on his deathbed with him reviewing all of the women in a montage.
karenofbethany
karenofbethany
18. RE: Did Henry regret what became of Anne Boleyn on his deathbed?
Feb 3 2009, 5:48 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 3 2009, 5:48 PM EST
"I totally agree with Angelosdaughter. Although in my own mind i would hope he had some regret about what happened to Anne. As it was based on lies and corruption."
Part of my opinion comes from the history Henry had of taking off when the people had to be confronted, always putting the deed on one of his advisors, as if he could not face the person he accused. Leads me to believe he did just what was convenient, and that he well knew he had gone overboard.
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
angelosdaughter
angelosdaughter
19. RE: Did Henry regret what became of Anne Boleyn on his deathbed?
Feb 3 2009, 5:59 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 3 2009, 5:59 PM EST
"Right, which in essence means, "Do you believe through Christ your sins have been redeemed", and he had been in and out of consciousness, so he may have quickly did an inventory of his past behaviors...in "Henry VIII" the film starts on his deathbed with him reviewing all of the women in a montage. "
Well, Cranmer didn't personalize it. I don't think he would have dared to suggest that Henry had any sins that needed redeeming. He asked if Henry believed in Christ's power to redeem sins. If Henry had been truly penitent, I think he would have confessed to the nearest priest while he could still speak, but he would have no one but Cranmer, one of his partners in crime. By the time Cranmer arrived his ability to voice his confession was gone. I may be being unfair, and it's just my opinion, but I don't' think Henry's conscience bothered him much. In the days before his end, Henry's time was entirely taken up with affairs of state. He did not send for any of his family, and none of the them was at his bedside.
2 3 4 | Next

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on WikiFoundry Central.)