Discussion: Who is the other George Boleyn (Dean of Lichfield)Reported This is a featured thread

Showing 1 - 14 of 14  |  Show  posts at a time
darrrrksunshine
darrrrksunshine
Who is the other George Boleyn (Dean of Lichfield)
Jan 30 2009, 6:03 PM EST | Post edited: Jan 30 2009, 6:03 PM EST
Several sources state that he was a distant relative of the Boleyns and was seen at court during Queen Elizabeths reign, but I do not see any info on how he could have been related to the family. I know there was a rumor that George may have been the son of George and Jane (Parker) Boleyn.
Anyone know anything else about this person? Thanks.
Do you find this valuable?    
MsSquirrly
MsSquirrly
1. RE: Who is the other George Boleyn (Dean of Lichfield)
Jan 30 2009, 6:23 PM EST | Post edited: Jan 30 2009, 6:23 PM EST
It is believed that he was a distant cousin. No children were ever acknowledged from George & Jane and if there had been a son, he would have inherited the titles of Earl of Ormonde & Earl of Wiltshire. Instead, the inheritance went to the crown since there were no male heirs left from Thomas and Elizabeth Boleyn, and Henry passed the funds along to Mary Boleyn. Do you find this valuable?    
angelosdaughter
angelosdaughter
2. RE: Who is the other George Boleyn (Dean of Lichfield)
Jan 30 2009, 10:05 PM EST | Post edited: Jan 30 2009, 10:05 PM EST
"Several sources state that he was a distant relative of the Boleyns and was seen at court during Queen Elizabeths reign, but I do not see any info on how he could have been related to the family. I know there was a rumor that George may have been the son of George and Jane (Parker) Boleyn.
Anyone know anything else about this person? Thanks."
According to Julia Fox in her book "Jane Boleyn" George Boleyn, Dean of Litchfield, was not a relation.
In her notes she quotes "The Complete Peerage" 1987 volume IV, p.142 for info on George Boleyn, Dean of Litchfield, and his will. Apparently he was an eccentric character who took his misbehaving dog to church.
I suppose he could be a distant relative of Thomas Boleyn.
Neveleo
Neveleo
3. RE: Who is the other George Boleyn (Dean of Lichfield)
Jan 31 2009, 8:22 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 31 2009, 8:22 AM EST
Wasn't there a rumour that Jane and eorge did have a son??? I'm sure I've read that somewhere? Probably untrue but interesting. Do you find this valuable?    
angelosdaughter
angelosdaughter
4. RE: Who is the other George Boleyn (Dean of Lichfield)
Jan 31 2009, 8:51 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 31 2009, 8:51 AM EST
"Wasn't there a rumour that Jane and eorge did have a son??? I'm sure I've read that somewhere? Probably untrue but interesting."
Those rumors were probably based simply on the name of this George Boleyn, but apparently they had no children.
VerelaiR
VerelaiR
5. RE: Who is the other George Boleyn (Dean of Lichfield)
Jan 31 2009, 3:01 PM EST | Post edited: Jan 31 2009, 3:01 PM EST
"Several sources state that he was a distant relative of the Boleyns and was seen at court during Queen Elizabeths reign, but I do not see any info on how he could have been related to the family. I know there was a rumor that George may have been the son of George and Jane (Parker) Boleyn.
Anyone know anything else about this person? Thanks."
Yes, there was a George Boleyn, Dean of Lichfield, during Elizabeth's time, but as some of the posters wrote, he was either not a relation or a distant cousin. The name Boleyn was fairly common in Norfolk, and it's still in use.

If there had been a son, he would have inherited Blickling Hall, where Lady Rochford resided until reappearing in court. Upon her execution, though, Blickling reverted to Sir James Boleyn, the brother of Sir Thomas Boleyn - Anne Boleyn's paternal uncle.
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
caitthequeen
caitthequeen
6. RE: Who is the other George Boleyn (Dean of Lichfield)
Jun 16 2009, 9:31 PM EDT | Post edited: Jun 16 2009, 9:31 PM EDT
"Wasn't there a rumour that Jane and eorge did have a son??? I'm sure I've read that somewhere? Probably untrue but interesting."
i read a book--vengence is mine, i believe it was--that claims jane boleyn gave birth to a son, whom she called george boleyn after his father. in this *insert great emphasis here* NOVEL, if i remember correctly, the child is actually not the son of late georgie but of CROMWELL, with whom she's bedded to retain her inheritence or something. hardly believable--though WIlDLY entertaining--especially since later in the book there is a great homosexual affair between anne of cleves and katherine howard. a copious amount of honey is involved. It might be this book you're thinking of, neveleo.
Maggie-AnneB.
Maggie-AnneB.
7. RE: Who is the other George Boleyn (Dean of Lichfield)
Jun 17 2009, 4:24 AM EDT | Post edited: Jun 17 2009, 4:24 AM EDT
"i read a book--vengence is mine, i believe it was--that claims jane boleyn gave birth to a son, whom she called george boleyn after his father. in this *insert great emphasis here* NOVEL, if i remember correctly, the child is actually not the son of late georgie but of CROMWELL, with whom she's bedded to retain her inheritence or something. hardly believable--though WIlDLY entertaining--especially since later in the book there is a great homosexual affair between anne of cleves and katherine howard. a copious amount of honey is involved. It might be this book you're thinking of, neveleo."
Where can you get this book? LOL!
Lady-Anne
Lady-Anne
8. RE: Who is the other George Boleyn (Dean of Lichfield)
Jun 17 2009, 5:11 AM EDT | Post edited: Jun 17 2009, 5:11 AM EDT
"Where can you get this book? LOL!"
LOL! That's exactly what I was thinking!
I was like "Mmmh... OK, weird but that's a novel..." and then the AoC/KH affaire came
across my sight: "WTF?!"
Must be something to read! XD
caitthequeen
caitthequeen
9. RE: Who is the other George Boleyn (Dean of Lichfield)
Jun 17 2009, 5:48 AM EDT | Post edited: Jun 17 2009, 5:48 AM EDT
"Where can you get this book? LOL!"
my friend got it off amazon, i'm sure, and i borrowed it from her. i think i've also seen it in the bookstores. its called VENGENCE IS MINE by brandy purdy. some other ones that it doesn't seem too many people have heard of are AN UNCHASTE LIFE by anne cato (about katherine howard) and THREADS, by nell gavin. the last is one of my FAVOURITES, and should DEFINITELY be checked out!
Maggie-AnneB.
Maggie-AnneB.
10. RE: Who is the other George Boleyn (Dean of Lichfield)
Jun 17 2009, 8:51 AM EDT | Post edited: Jun 17 2009, 8:51 AM EDT
"my friend got it off amazon, i'm sure, and i borrowed it from her. i think i've also seen it in the bookstores. its called VENGENCE IS MINE by brandy purdy. some other ones that it doesn't seem too many people have heard of are AN UNCHASTE LIFE by anne cato (about katherine howard) and THREADS, by nell gavin. the last is one of my FAVOURITES, and should DEFINITELY be checked out!"
Oh I am checking these out...... =D
Maggie-AnneB.
Maggie-AnneB.
11. RE: Who is the other George Boleyn (Dean of Lichfield)
Jun 17 2009, 8:59 AM EDT | Post edited: Jun 17 2009, 8:59 AM EDT
"Oh I am checking these out...... =D"
They cound amazing.... =D
caitthequeen
caitthequeen
12. RE: Who is the other George Boleyn (Dean of Lichfield)
Jun 17 2009, 3:37 PM EDT | Post edited: Jun 17 2009, 3:37 PM EDT
"They cound amazing.... =D"
i really did enjoy them, and i hope you do too!
Honeydutchess
Honeydutchess
13. RE: Who is the other George Boleyn (Dean of Lichfield)
Aug 9 2009, 7:46 AM EDT | Post edited: Aug 9 2009, 7:48 AM EDT
"i read a book--vengence is mine, i believe it was--that claims jane boleyn gave birth to a son, whom she called george boleyn after his father. in this *insert great emphasis here* NOVEL, if i remember correctly, the child is actually not the son of late georgie but of CROMWELL, with whom she's bedded to retain her inheritence or something. hardly believable--though WIlDLY entertaining--especially since later in the book there is a great homosexual affair between anne of cleves and katherine howard. a copious amount of honey is involved. It might be this book you're thinking of, neveleo."
is this book non fiction or fiction? I read that Anne Of Cleves was ignorant towards sex to the point she had no idea how to have it. Henry VIII said something about her not being a maid to get a divorce, then was it once completed stated he left her as good a maid as he found her. So to hear different is interesting, I want to get my hands on that book.
Also, in Alison Weir's 1992 book The Six wives of HenryVIII, it is stated that the Dean of Lichfield was named after his father, George Boleyn, however, I am not sure if this is true, I would ask if anyone does know the truth, but reading the posts I see that it is just speculation.
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on WikiFoundry Central.)