Discussion: Katharine of AragonReported This is a featured thread

Showing 1 - 20 of 45  |  Show  posts at a time
2 3 | Next

Evanescence1984
Katharine of Aragon
Jul 3 2008, 6:24 AM EDT | Post edited: Jul 3 2008, 6:24 AM EDT
I found Maria Doyle Kennedy a good match to play the Queen. The way she portrays her it makes you see this noble woman destined to be queen and one who would never denounce that role even once divorced from the King. I think Maria is very pretty and does a good job acting in the role. 5  out of 6 found this valuable. Do you?    
Boudica
Boudica
1. RE: Katharine of Aragon
Jul 3 2008, 6:42 AM EDT | Post edited: Jul 3 2008, 6:42 AM EDT
"I found Maria Doyle Kennedy a good match to play the Queen. The way she portrays her it makes you see this noble woman destined to be queen and one who would never denounce that role even once divorced from the King. I think Maria is very pretty and does a good job acting in the role."
I totally agree, I don't think I've seen another actress play Katherine quite like MDK. And it's going to be hard for me to picture Katherine without thinking of MDK as well, her performance was that memorable. I think the second best I've seen was Annette Crosbie in the 1970 version of the Six Wives of Henry VIII.
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
LNor19
LNor19
2. RE: Katharine of Aragon
Jul 3 2008, 8:06 AM EDT | Post edited: Jul 3 2008, 8:06 AM EDT
"I found Maria Doyle Kennedy a good match to play the Queen. The way she portrays her it makes you see this noble woman destined to be queen and one who would never denounce that role even once divorced from the King. I think Maria is very pretty and does a good job acting in the role."
Yes, most certainly. I was blown away with MDK's performance, she portrayed Katherine so passionately and she really is KATHERINE for me now.
2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Evanescence1984
3. RE: Katharine of Aragon
Jul 3 2008, 8:14 AM EDT | Post edited: Jul 3 2008, 8:14 AM EDT
"Yes, most certainly. I was blown away with MDK's performance, she portrayed Katherine so passionately and she really is KATHERINE for me now. "
Yeah, I don't think I'll ever see anyone else who plays Katherine in the same light as her. I've seen The Other Boleyn girl and I didn't care for the woman who played Katherine, but MDK has such conviction and strength that it makes you relate or at least feel for her character.
QueenCatherine
QueenCatherine
4. RE: Katharine of Aragon
Jul 3 2008, 10:12 AM EDT | Post edited: Jul 3 2008, 10:12 AM EDT
Up until "The Tudors," I couldn't find anyone who could beat Irene Papas in "Anne of the Thousand Days." I think Maria Doyle Kennedy did a great job and projected the queen's honorable demeanor and personality so many have come to respect. 3  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    
Shadow_in_the_Sun
Shadow_in_the_Sun
5. RE: Katharine of Aragon
Jul 3 2008, 10:25 AM EDT | Post edited: Jul 3 2008, 10:25 AM EDT
"I think the second best I've seen was Annette Crosbie in the 1970 version of the Six Wives of Henry VIII. "
She's the first best for me. :-) Strong portrayal and the right colouring, too!

LadyJane1961
6. RE: Katharine of Aragon
Jul 4 2008, 3:01 PM EDT | Post edited: Jul 4 2008, 3:01 PM EDT
"Up until "The Tudors," I couldn't find anyone who could beat Irene Papas in "Anne of the Thousand Days." I think Maria Doyle Kennedy did a great job and projected the queen's honorable demeanor and personality so many have come to respect. "
Maria Doyle Kennedy did a fantastic job playing katherine of aragon. i read plenty of books about Katherine of Aragon and she played her like she knew her personally.the scene when katerine died i fely that i knew her to. I felt so sad. Henry would have lived a peaceful and honable life if he would just stayed married to catherine. Catherine loved him and to the end of her life she honered him.
3  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
missie_tudor
missie_tudor
7. RE: Katharine of Aragon
Jul 5 2008, 4:53 PM EDT | Post edited: Jul 5 2008, 4:53 PM EDT
"Henry would have lived a peaceful and honable life if he would just stayed married to catherine. Catherine loved him and to the end of her life she honered him."
Indeed, although I identify myself with Anne in some aspects, I respect Catherine so much, her strenght, her honor... Henry would certainly have lived a peaceful life with her and Princess Mary. The way Maria potrayed her was amazing, she was convicted that 'she was the queen' until the last day of her life.
KatherineOfAragon
KatherineOfAragon
8. RE: Katharine of Aragon
Aug 25 2008, 2:49 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 25 2008, 2:49 PM EDT
"Yeah, I don't think I'll ever see anyone else who plays Katherine in the same light as her. I've seen The Other Boleyn girl and I didn't care for the woman who played Katherine, but MDK has such conviction and strength that it makes you relate or at least feel for her character. "
In Italy they just finished to air the first season..I fell in Love with Katherine of Aragon..I knew her because last year I studied Henry VIII in my english history class..well i preffered her since she was the first to God is real wife...but then this summer I discovered a character not only strong for she stood against her King against her husband in a time when women should just step back...but thanks to MDK (a saint not a woman ;-) Now I feel like i really got to knew Katherine .. humanity kindnesss she potrayed her perfectly..2 weeks ago I bought and read "The Other Boleyn Girl"...I pictured the book charachter with our KoA from Tudors...when 2day i bought the dvd of the movie ..that woman who played Katherine disappointed me..I didn't like even how they killed the book but this i s an idea for another topic..Thanks for reading me Kisses ur Queen Katherine <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3 to all of you
Do you find this valuable?    
angelosdaughter
angelosdaughter
9. RE: Katharine of Aragon
Aug 25 2008, 10:05 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 25 2008, 10:05 PM EDT
"She's the first best for me. :-) Strong portrayal and the right colouring, too!"
Actually, Katharine's coloring was fair in hair and skin, so MDK's coloring is not comensurate with K of A's, although her portrayal of Katharine's dignity and regal manner are in keeping with the historical image of her.
0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
angelosdaughter
angelosdaughter
10. RE: Katharine of Aragon
Aug 25 2008, 10:13 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 25 2008, 10:13 PM EDT
"Up until "The Tudors," I couldn't find anyone who could beat Irene Papas in "Anne of the Thousand Days." I think Maria Doyle Kennedy did a great job and projected the queen's honorable demeanor and personality so many have come to respect. "
I liked Irene Pappas in the K of A role too, although casting went with the stereotypical conception of the Spanish Queen in depicting K of A as olive-skinned and dark haired as well as melancholy in temperament. . Irene Pappas did portray Katharine's regal bearing, her courage, and her dignity very well.
lettice
lettice
11. RE: Katharine of Aragon
Aug 26 2008, 6:18 AM EDT | Post edited: Aug 26 2008, 6:18 AM EDT
MDK was a fantastic Catherine.
I personally enjoyed Asumpta Serna as well. She played a very strong and passionate Catherine of Aragon opposite Ray Winstone as Henry.
Jes89
Jes89
12. RE: Katharine of Aragon
Aug 26 2008, 8:23 AM EDT | Post edited: Aug 26 2008, 8:23 AM EDT
MDK was fabulous, the emotion that she gave to KOA was perfect!!!

With certainty MDK is an excellent actress,she earned an award for her action, didn't she?
MsSquirrly
MsSquirrly
13. RE: Katharine of Aragon
Aug 26 2008, 8:55 AM EDT | Post edited: Aug 26 2008, 8:55 AM EDT
"MDK was fabulous, the emotion that she gave to KOA was perfect!!!

With certainty MDK is an excellent actress,she earned an award for her action, didn't she?"
She won an Irish Film & Television award last year and I am happy to say she has just been nominated for a Canadian Gemini Award.
Check out the awards page : http://tudorswiki.sho.com/page/The+Tudors+Awards
Katharine_fanatic
Katharine_fanatic
14. RE: Katharine of Aragon
Aug 26 2008, 10:21 AM EDT | Post edited: Aug 26 2008, 10:21 AM EDT
I think Maria gave an inspired, powerful, incredible performance. Hers is probably the role I will remember the longest in years to come, because she took a character who has been vastly under-played or over-acted in the past, and turned her into a heart-wrenching depiction of a fallen queen. I often cry while watching her scenes in the second season, they are so remarkable and powerful. I hope she gets better recognition for Katharine, because it truly is a mesmerizing performance. 3  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
KatherineOfAragon
KatherineOfAragon
15. RE: Katharine of Aragon
Aug 26 2008, 2:46 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 26 2008, 2:46 PM EDT
"I think Maria gave an inspired, powerful, incredible performance. Hers is probably the role I will remember the longest in years to come, because she took a character who has been vastly under-played or over-acted in the past, and turned her into a heart-wrenching depiction of a fallen queen. I often cry while watching her scenes in the second season, they are so remarkable and powerful. I hope she gets better recognition for Katharine, because it truly is a mesmerizing performance."
I haven't seen the 2nd sason yet but i saw here sme photos of MDK...amazing..great ctress..she gave to the role a whole new dimension..
sherrilina
sherrilina
16. RE: Katharine of Aragon
Aug 28 2008, 9:11 AM EDT | Post edited: Aug 28 2008, 9:11 AM EDT
"I think Maria gave an inspired, powerful, incredible performance. Hers is probably the role I will remember the longest in years to come, because she took a character who has been vastly under-played or over-acted in the past, and turned her into a heart-wrenching depiction of a fallen queen. I often cry while watching her scenes in the second season, they are so remarkable and powerful. I hope she gets better recognition for Katharine, because it truly is a mesmerizing performance."
I'm curious, who do you have in mind when you say Catherine has been vastly "underplayed or over-acted?" I can perhaps understand "under-played", though that has more to do I think with her rarely getting much limelight in Henry productions (they usually just focus on Anne to start with, with Catherine on the sidelines).

MDK was indeed excellent, though I think the best is still Annette Crosbie in the BBC Six Wives--she had both the correct coloring and the character down perfectly! MDK is probably my second favorite....

I don't understand why you guys dislike the Catherine in TOBG movie, other than the distracting mole on her mouth I thought she gave a fine performance....

And angelosdaughter, Sadow in the sun was referring to Annette Crosbie, not MDK when she said she had the right coloring....

Nikkig415
17. RE: Katharine of Aragon
Aug 28 2008, 9:57 AM EDT | Post edited: Aug 28 2008, 9:57 AM EDT
I absolutely loved MDK's performance as KoA. I too have TOBG and while reading it I always pictured the characters from the show. She was amazing in both seasons and I'm such a fan! I've seen her in other roles from movies after I saw the first season and I'm impressed at how she hides her Irish accent so well. I like how she added the Spanish inflection to her talking as Katherine it gave her more dimension. KoA was my favorite character. Love the show but I have to say I always enjoyed the scenes she was in. I felt so bad for her but the strength that MDK applied to the character really made one love her.

Oh and I think I heard from a radio interview, article, or somewhere I can't remember that at some point during the filming she was pregnant. Anyone know cause if that's the case and depending on how far she was those costumes had to be uncomfortable. lol I'll have to see if I can find where I saw that....
KatherineOfAragon
KatherineOfAragon
18. RE: Katharine of Aragon
Aug 28 2008, 12:23 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 28 2008, 12:23 PM EDT
"I absolutely loved MDK's performance as KoA. I too have TOBG and while reading it I always pictured the characters from the show. She was amazing in both seasons and I'm such a fan! I've seen her in other roles from movies after I saw the first season and I'm impressed at how she hides her Irish accent so well. I like how she added the Spanish inflection to her talking as Katherine it gave her more dimension. KoA was my favorite character. Love the show but I have to say I always enjoyed the scenes she was in. I felt so bad for her but the strength that MDK applied to the character really made one love her.

Oh and I think I heard from a radio interview, article, or somewhere I can't remember that at some point during the filming she was pregnant. Anyone know cause if that's the case and depending on how far she was those costumes had to be uncomfortable. lol I'll have to see if I can find where I saw that...."
you can see it for ur self when she talks to bessie blount ..episode 1 or 2...she touches her belly and its bigger tahn it should be..or when henry leave her and she cry fallind down to the floor she old her belly...AnyWay i watched the show in Italian..and know i'm watching it in English...Amazing an irish actress that hide her accent and trasform it ina spanish accent..so perfect love herrrrr does anyone knows how many kids she has??i heard she have 4 kids..
Katharine_fanatic
Katharine_fanatic
19. RE: Katharine of Aragon
Aug 28 2008, 3:37 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 28 2008, 3:37 PM EDT
"Oh and I think I heard from a radio interview, article, or somewhere I can't remember that at some point during the filming she was pregnant. Anyone know cause if that's the case and depending on how far she was those costumes had to be uncomfortable. lol I'll have to see if I can find where I saw that...."
Maria was heavily pregnant during filming for the second season. It is profoundly obvious in the first episode, in all her full length shots. I think it's sily that the director did not bother attempting to hide it. By the way, she had a baby boy in October of last year. (Ironic, huh?)

I thought Ana Torrent (the Katharine in TOBG) did a fine job, but for some reason they "uglied" her up a bit (why give her a mole, and why always shoot her so that the mole is showing? it was pathetic) and made her a bit more testy than Katharine actually was. With regards to over-acting, I'm mainly referring to the hysterical screeching from the Wives miniseries (otherwise, the actress did a fine job -- that was just over the top, and not accurate to Katharine crying, and then arguing with her husband), but Katharine was also somewhat over-acted as a crone in "The Sword & the Rose" film about Mary Tudor-Brandon.
2 3 | Next

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on WikiFoundry Central.)