Discussion: Will Anne of Cleves be made beautiful...Reported This is a featured thread

Showing 1 - 20 of 112  |  Show  posts at a time
2 3 4 5 | Next > Last
SemperEadem
SemperEadem
Will Anne of Cleves be made beautiful...
May 30 2008, 9:49 AM EDT | Post edited: May 30 2008, 9:49 AM EDT
Posted by antoinette2 on the Tudor's prediction page:

Or will she be portrayed as Henry's "Flander's Mare"?
Henry is left a widower, no doubt endowed with prodigeous self-pity and whinning. He craves Christina of Milan but doesn't get far with his suit. His fashion sense remains impeccable. Perhaps we shall be ffortunate onlookers to more sexual preying before his marriage to a foreign princess, Anne of Cleves, whom history has crowned "The Fanders Mare." However, her painting by Holbein is lovely and in my eyes, I see a woman much lovelier than poor, homely Jane. Alas, the chemistry will not be there and she is soon discarded, ending Henry's quest for the taste of something female and foreign, but at least she is not beheaded. In fact, it could be said that Anne of Cleves is the first ex-wife in history to get a great settlement and a membership in the "Third Wives Club". This marital disaster cinches forever Henry's predilection for "English Roses" and his future forays regarding the female sex remain solidly British.
8  out of 9 found this valuable. Do you?    
Holly2
Holly2
1. RE: Will Anne of Cleves be made beautiful...
May 30 2008, 9:55 AM EDT | Post edited: May 30 2008, 9:55 AM EDT
"Posted by antoinette2 on the Tudor's prediction page:

Or will she be portrayed as Henry's "Flander's Mare"?
Henry is left a widower, no doubt endowed with prodigeous self-pity and whinning. He craves Christina of Milan but doesn't get far with his suit. His fashion sense remains impeccable. Perhaps we shall be ffortunate onlookers to more sexual preying before his marriage to a foreign princess, Anne of Cleves, whom history has crowned "The Fanders Mare." However, her painting by Holbein is lovely and in my eyes, I see a woman much lovelier than poor, homely Jane. Alas, the chemistry will not be there and she is soon discarded, ending Henry's quest for the taste of something female and foreign, but at least she is not beheaded. In fact, it could be said that Anne of Cleves is the first ex-wife in history to get a great settlement and a membership in the "Third Wives Club". This marital disaster cinches forever Henry's predilection for "English Roses" and his future forays regarding the female sex remain solidly British."
Maybe after being summarily rejected by the other women he chased - and I would love it if they throw in the line about Christina of Milan not wanting to marry him because she only has one head - he'll be confidently expecting Anne of Cleves (pretty but not a beauty like Anne Boleyn) to be delighted to get to be his bride and, when she is less than enthusiastic, his pride gets hurt.

I doubt that Anne of Cleves could possibly be as ugly as Henry claimed. I'd say that her portrait may have flattered her a bit but that it was essentially a good likeness. If you were Holbein, would you dare to paint one of Henry's prospective brides as pretty if she was really unattractive?
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
lettice
lettice
2. RE: Will Anne of Cleves be made beautiful...
May 30 2008, 10:15 AM EDT | Post edited: May 30 2008, 10:15 AM EDT
"Maybe after being summarily rejected by the other women he chased - and I would love it if they throw in the line about Christina of Milan not wanting to marry him because she only has one head - he'll be confidently expecting Anne of Cleves (pretty but not a beauty like Anne Boleyn) to be delighted to get to be his bride and, when she is less than enthusiastic, his pride gets hurt.

I doubt that Anne of Cleves could possibly be as ugly as Henry claimed. I'd say that her portrait may have flattered her a bit but that it was essentially a good likeness. If you were Holbein, would you dare to paint one of Henry's prospective brides as pretty if she was really unattractive?"
I believe Anne of Cleves was probably attractive. It was more her strange dress, her lack of proficiency in English as well as the accepted social graces of the time and her reaction when the obese, middle aged Henry tried to pay her a surprise visit. He also blamed his impotence on her instead of on himself as he didn't do much better with the pretty and pert Katherine Howard.
4  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    
LNor19
LNor19
3. RE: Will Anne of Cleves be made beautiful...
May 30 2008, 11:31 AM EDT | Post edited: May 30 2008, 11:31 AM EDT
"Maybe after being summarily rejected by the other women he chased - and I would love it if they throw in the line about Christina of Milan not wanting to marry him because she only has one head - he'll be confidently expecting Anne of Cleves (pretty but not a beauty like Anne Boleyn) to be delighted to get to be his bride and, when she is less than enthusiastic, his pride gets hurt.

I doubt that Anne of Cleves could possibly be as ugly as Henry claimed. I'd say that her portrait may have flattered her a bit but that it was essentially a good likeness. If you were Holbein, would you dare to paint one of Henry's prospective brides as pretty if she was really unattractive?"
Henry's requested that Holbien make his portrait as accurate as possible, when painting Anne of Cleves and her sister Amelia. The "flanders mare" was made up, as to give Henry a little more reason for an anullement. Christian of Millian was acutually told by her father to wear a Mourning Dress, to make her less attractive, she was also quoted for saying "To marry Henry VIII, I must have two heads, one for me to keep and another for him to cut off."
Historically, Anne Boleyn was not considered a beautiful woman, in fact she was considered homely, like Jane. It was said that her eyes and dark features were redeeming, in that they could capture a man, but other than that, she wasn't much to look at.
5  out of 8 found this valuable. Do you?    
Mairy
Mairy
4. RE: Will Anne of Cleves be made beautiful...
May 30 2008, 12:09 PM EDT | Post edited: May 30 2008, 12:09 PM EDT
" Christian of Millian was acutually told by her father to wear a Mourning Dress, to make her less attractive, she was also quoted for saying "To marry Henry VIII, I must have two heads, one for me to keep and another for him to cut off.""
At last a woman with some good sense. The rest seem to think that the love a good woman was all that was needed with Henry. All they really needed was to look at the man's track record to realize that their chances of having a long and happy marriage was next to none.

They made the same mistakes we all make today....thinking that they or the love they bore their man would change things.
2  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
Scarlett45
Scarlett45
5. RE: Will Anne of Cleves be made beautiful...
May 31 2008, 1:21 PM EDT | Post edited: May 31 2008, 1:21 PM EDT
I think they will make Anne of Cleves attractive, to make Henry seem more crazy for rejecting her, and dubbing her "his flanders mare"- this is televsion. I doubt an unattractive actress would be cast.

I do agree that historically Anne of Cleves was not as ugly as Henry claimed. Every other contemporary record of her states she was of average if not above average in appearance. I do agree that perhaps her lack of etiquette and knowledge of the English lanuage probably made her appear more awkward than she normally would have been.
3  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
Reginabee
Reginabee
6. RE: Will Anne of Cleves be made beautiful...
May 31 2008, 1:59 PM EDT | Post edited: May 31 2008, 1:59 PM EDT
"I think they will make Anne of Cleves attractive, to make Henry seem more crazy for rejecting her, and dubbing her "his flanders mare"- this is televsion. I doubt an unattractive actress would be cast.

I do agree that historically Anne of Cleves was not as ugly as Henry claimed. Every other contemporary record of her states she was of average if not above average in appearance. I do agree that perhaps her lack of etiquette and knowledge of the English lanuage probably made her appear more awkward than she normally would have been. "

The writers haven't held back in exposing several characters as homosexual. I have a suspicion that they are going to make Anne of Cleves a lesbian.
6  out of 9 found this valuable. Do you?    
MaryOfScot
MaryOfScot
7. RE: Will Anne of Cleves be made beautiful...
May 31 2008, 2:02 PM EDT | Post edited: May 31 2008, 2:02 PM EDT

By this time Henry is still in grief, and based on Holbein's painting goes for Anne no. 2. She shows up in native attire, a tad overweight and with a face that is slightly pocked. Henry attempted intimacy but claimed she smelled and had no education. Her sense of humor was deemed lower class according to Henry's upbringing. Henry did however enjoy having long talks with her. He was at ease with this mare and loved her as a mate more than a female. They remained friends the rest of their lives as I have read. She and he stayed in touch and I understand that Henry turned to her in times of need.
lettice
lettice
8. RE: Will Anne of Cleves be made beautiful...
Jun 1 2008, 6:13 AM EDT | Post edited: Jun 1 2008, 6:13 AM EDT
"By this time Henry is still in grief, and based on Holbein's painting goes for Anne no. 2. She shows up in native attire, a tad overweight and with a face that is slightly pocked. Henry attempted intimacy but claimed she smelled and had no education. Her sense of humor was deemed lower class according to Henry's upbringing. Henry did however enjoy having long talks with her. He was at ease with this mare and loved her as a mate more than a female. They remained friends the rest of their lives as I have read. She and he stayed in touch and I understand that Henry turned to her in times of need."
She became his "Good Sister", which is probably much safer than being a wife! LOL

desiderata
9. RE: Will Anne of Cleves be made beautiful...
Jun 1 2008, 6:46 AM EDT | Post edited: Jun 1 2008, 6:46 AM EDT
"Henry's requested that Holbien make his portrait as accurate as possible, when painting Anne of Cleves and her sister Amelia. The "flanders mare" was made up, as to give Henry a little more reason for an anullement. Christian of Millian was acutually told by her father to wear a Mourning Dress, to make her less attractive, she was also quoted for saying "To marry Henry VIII, I must have two heads, one for me to keep and another for him to cut off."
Historically, Anne Boleyn was not considered a beautiful woman, in fact she was considered homely, like Jane. It was said that her eyes and dark features were redeeming, in that they could capture a man, but other than that, she wasn't much to look at."
I'm predicting that the actress who plays Anna of Cleves wil be pretty, at the very least (for example, there really is no "Ugly Betty" for TV, America Ferrara is a beautiful actress who is made up to look homely). It is fun to compare beauty standards from the 1500's to our century...that being the case, I recent'y came across a portrait of Mary Boleyn during a web search on Anne, and wow, Mary is GORGEOUS!!!! And Henry discarded her! Anne's eyes were said to be her strong feature, large, almost black-colored eyes, her dark hair and also (what I really admire most about her) she had a brain and wasn't afraid to use it, damn the consequences! Her portrait grabs your attention, if nothing else, and sometimes that's all that is needed, especially for immortality. Here's a thought: it is said that no portrait of Catherine Howard exists; the image that was used for a long time to depict her (woman in a black widow's dress) turned out to be a portrait of Jane Seymour's sister, but I've seen another picture used that is attributed to Catherine Howard's likeness (a much younger looking woman with a big grin). Is that indeed her? Anyway, by today's standards, I think (the portrait) Anna of Cleves is very pretty. All of those women did pretty well,considering back then there was no cosmetic dentistry or dermabrasion or plastic surgery:)

LovetheTudors
10. RE: Will Anne of Cleves be made beautiful...
Jun 1 2008, 7:07 AM EDT | Post edited: Jun 1 2008, 7:07 AM EDT
I predict that Anne of Cleves will probably be made somewhat plain as JRM probably will not wear a fatsuit. If H-8 isn't depicted as bloated and awful, Anne of Cleves won't have reason to recoil from him in disgust. So, Anne will be plain and unsophisticated....but not absolutely ugly. Henry will have to debase himself by telling Parliament and the world that he is impotent with Anne and cannot consummate the marriage in order to get out of said marriage. This blow to Henry's ego and the fact that Cromwell fatally forgot that Henry has to be attracted to and "in love" with his wives will spell doom for Cromwell.
I predict the first part of Season Three will focus on the Pilgrimage of Grace and the last half will focus on Henry toying with Cromwell and setting his minister up for a huge fall. The entrance of Katherine Howard will add a sexual element (hopefully it will be an actress as good as Natalie Dormer) and speed things up. The season will end with Cromwell's horrific execution (apparently he got a novice headsman) and Henry's fifth wedding...execution and wedding happened on the same day.

Carriep
11. RE: Will Anne of Cleves be made beautiful...
Jun 1 2008, 8:34 AM EDT | Post edited: Jun 1 2008, 8:34 AM EDT
I also hope they don't make Anne of Cleves as her stereotype portrays her. Anne of Cleves is my favorite of Henry's wives. I predict Season 3 will open with Jane's marriage and Mary's submission. Maybe one or two episodes will be devoted to the Pilgrimage of Grace and the further dissolution of the religious houses. Then there'll be a 2 part midseason episode, part one being Edward's birth and Jane's death, part 2 being Henry's mourning, the trial of Thomas a Becket (do you really think Showtime would skip something so dramatically gruesome?). Then the second half of the season will be Anne of Cleves' marriage, divorce, Henry's meeting and wooing of Catherine Howard, and Cromwell's fall. This leaves material for season 4 being the downfall of Catherine Howard and Henry's marriage to Catherine Parr. 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
lettice
lettice
12. RE: Will Anne of Cleves be made beautiful...
Jun 2 2008, 4:48 AM EDT | Post edited: Jun 2 2008, 4:48 AM EDT
"I also hope they don't make Anne of Cleves as her stereotype portrays her. Anne of Cleves is my favorite of Henry's wives. I predict Season 3 will open with Jane's marriage and Mary's submission. Maybe one or two episodes will be devoted to the Pilgrimage of Grace and the further dissolution of the religious houses. Then there'll be a 2 part midseason episode, part one being Edward's birth and Jane's death, part 2 being Henry's mourning, the trial of Thomas a Becket (do you really think Showtime would skip something so dramatically gruesome?). Then the second half of the season will be Anne of Cleves' marriage, divorce, Henry's meeting and wooing of Catherine Howard, and Cromwell's fall. This leaves material for season 4 being the downfall of Catherine Howard and Henry's marriage to Catherine Parr."
Sounds like a plan!
Lady_anne2
Lady_anne2
13. RE: Will Anne of Cleves be made beautiful...
Jun 2 2008, 5:01 PM EDT | Post edited: Jun 2 2008, 5:01 PM EDT
"
The writers haven't held back in exposing several characters as homosexual. I have a suspicion that they are going to make Anne of Cleves a lesbian.
."
I never thought of the lesbian angle. I agree that from her portraits she is more attractive than Jane. However, I know the first portrait Henry saw of her was intentionally painted to make her appear more attractive than she was.

It was my understanding that it was her odor he found more offensive than her looks. If that is true, I can't even imagine what that would have to be since hygeine was not on the top of the list for everyone!
Do you find this valuable?    
Mairy
Mairy
14. RE: Will Anne of Cleves be made beautiful...
Jun 2 2008, 7:25 PM EDT | Post edited: Jun 2 2008, 7:25 PM EDT
Even if they use the lesbian angle Anne of Cleves could be a very striking woman in here own right. Not as beautiful as Anne but not dead ugly either. 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
lettice
lettice
15. RE: Will Anne of Cleves be made beautiful...
Jun 3 2008, 4:56 AM EDT | Post edited: Jun 3 2008, 4:56 AM EDT
"Even if they use the lesbian angle Anne of Cleves could be a very striking woman in here own right. Not as beautiful as Anne but not dead ugly either."
Anne of Cleves a lesbian? Not that there's anything wrong with that.
1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
Holly2
Holly2
16. RE: Will Anne of Cleves be made beautiful...
Jun 3 2008, 12:36 PM EDT | Post edited: Jun 3 2008, 12:36 PM EDT
"
."
They had Compton and Tallis for the first season, and George and Smeaton for the second so if they decide to make a pattern of it, that could happen.
1  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
Renmaiden34433
Renmaiden34433
17. RE: Will Anne of Cleves be made beautiful...
Jun 15 2008, 8:19 AM EDT | Post edited: Jun 15 2008, 8:19 AM EDT
"I doubt that Anne of Cleves could possibly be as ugly as Henry claimed. "
The thing of it was, Henry liked the petite, frail type of woman and Anne was not that. She was tall, sturdy and healty. I firmly believe that if Henry could have gotten past the fact that she wasnt his "type" she would have given him the sons he so desired. She was much stronger then Kathrine, Anne B, or Jane.
Shadow_in_the_Sun
Shadow_in_the_Sun
18. RE: Will Anne of Cleves be made beautiful...
Jun 16 2008, 8:28 AM EDT | Post edited: Jun 16 2008, 8:28 AM EDT
"
."
Hahaha! I will seriously bow down to you if your prediction is correct! I really do think this is a possibility for the show, and you're very clever for thinking of it!
1  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
FMFJRMGRL
FMFJRMGRL
19. RE: Will Anne of Cleves be made beautiful...
Jun 16 2008, 3:46 PM EDT | Post edited: Jun 16 2008, 3:46 PM EDT
"The thing of it was, Henry liked the petite, frail type of woman and Anne was not that. She was tall, sturdy and healty. I firmly believe that if Henry could have gotten past the fact that she wasnt his "type" she would have given him the sons he so desired. She was much stronger then Kathrine, Anne B, or Jane. "
I agree, she probably was stronger. I bet she would have given him sons, she was the athletic type. I believe that she liked to do the same things as Henry did, I suppose that is why she became his "sister"
I think her portrait is actually prettier than the others...Lesbian I doubt it...She just liked sports and wasnt into the frivolis stuff like the others..
Her smell...OMG...Lol!
2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
2 3 4 5 | Next > Last

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on WikiFoundry Central.)