Discussion: Another good interpretation of HenryVIIIReported This is a featured thread

Showing 1 - 20 of 27  |  Show  posts at a time
2 | Next
angelosdaughter
angelosdaughter
Another good interpretation of HenryVIII
Mar 30 2008, 2:41 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 30 2008, 2:41 PM EDT
Robert Shaw who portrayed. a younger Henry VIII in "A Man for All Seasons" depicted an aspect of the king that was attractive. His Henry is boyishly charming and spontaneous with a twinkle and a hint of danger in his eye. His charming manner to the ladies is also evident in his exchanges with Susannah York''s Margaret More, the daughter of Sir Thomas. Of course, an effort was made to make the actor resemble Henry, at least in coloring and style of dress, although at 5'10" Shaw was considerably shorter than the 6'2" Henry. 4  out of 6 found this valuable. Do you?    

Imponthenet
1. RE: Another good interpretation of HenryVIII
Jun 5 2008, 1:15 PM EDT | Post edited: Jun 5 2008, 1:15 PM EDT
Having looked at the "Dream Cast" section, I've found it interesting how many of us think that Russell Crowe would make the perfect Henry VIII. He just naturally has the attributes and the somewhat foreboding appearance and physique to pull it off.Not to mention the temper. 1  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
The_Lady_Alicia
The_Lady_Alicia
2. RE: Another good interpretation of HenryVIII
Nov 2 2008, 8:52 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 2 2008, 8:52 PM EST
I think Timothy Spall as Wolsey was a pretty good match 1  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
The_Lady_Alicia
The_Lady_Alicia
3. RE: Another good interpretation of HenryVIII
Nov 2 2008, 8:57 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 2 2008, 8:57 PM EST
ooops sorry replied to wrong thread there! As for the part of Henry VIII I think Stephen Waddington would have been a great choice. 2  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    
howardfan
howardfan
4. RE: Another good interpretation of HenryVIII
Nov 2 2008, 9:08 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 2 2008, 9:08 PM EST
"I think Timothy Spall as Wolsey was a pretty good match "
alicia you totally red my mind, that was my submission as dream cast for wolsey
ah great minds think alike, isnt he perfect for the role, he seems to be cast as the smarmy troll like greeby in most movies (Think beddle in Sweeney todd)
and as an uptight unconventional smarmy cardinal who is the royal brown nose to the king would be right up his alley, plus The man can act :-)

And i totally agree with russel crowe as henry VIII, his acting is superb and despite what some (including) me may think of the actor as a person, he nails every role he plays. I have recently seen Body of lies, which sees crowe play an overweight cocky loose lipped CIA agent and he makes the role come to life, and u actually start to beleive he is the character he plays in real life lol so Crowe as an overweight sex fuelled charasmatic brooding yet passionate and fearsome Tudor ruler would be PERFECT just PERFECT
0  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
lettice
lettice
5. RE: Another good interpretation of HenryVIII
Nov 3 2008, 2:55 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 3 2008, 2:55 AM EST
I agree, AD, Robert Shaw was a great H8. He was a terrific actor in all his roles.
" A Man for All Seasons" was a great movie.
I loved Paul Scofield as More.
Brunet
Brunet
6. RE: Another good interpretation of HenryVIII
Nov 3 2008, 4:58 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 3 2008, 4:58 AM EST
"Robert Shaw who portrayed. a younger Henry VIII in "A Man for All Seasons" depicted an aspect of the king that was attractive. His Henry is boyishly charming and spontaneous with a twinkle and a hint of danger in his eye. His charming manner to the ladies is also evident in his exchanges with Susannah York''s Margaret More, the daughter of Sir Thomas. Of course, an effort was made to make the actor resemble Henry, at least in coloring and style of dress, although at 5'10" Shaw was considerably shorter than the 6'2" Henry."
I completely agree! Besides Laughton, I thought that Robert Shaw's performance was the most true. He convincingly showcased both Henry's charm and his erratic nature. Physically, he was perfect for the role. Even though he was only 5'10, he still managed to have a considerable physical presence that made him seem every bit of 6'2. Definitely one of the best H8's !
0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
Hever
Hever
7. RE: Another good interpretation of HenryVIII
Nov 3 2008, 8:04 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 3 2008, 8:04 AM EST
Robert Shaw was good but he laughed a bit too much, I found it slightly irritating. 0  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
FMFJRMGRL
FMFJRMGRL
8. RE: Another good interpretation of HenryVIII
Nov 3 2008, 11:37 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 3 2008, 11:37 AM EST
Robert Shaw had a extremely irritating laugh and in my opinion didnt play HVIII good at all! Ray Winstone I found to be the best match in every way! Of course JRM is still my favorite... 0  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
Hever
Hever
9. RE: Another good interpretation of HenryVIII
Nov 3 2008, 11:56 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 3 2008, 11:56 AM EST
I love JRM as Henry and I also love Keith Michell. 0  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

offwithherhead
10. RE: Another good interpretation of HenryVIII
Nov 3 2008, 12:09 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 3 2008, 12:09 PM EST
"I agree, AD, Robert Shaw was a great H8. He was a terrific actor in all his roles.
" A Man for All Seasons" was a great movie.
I loved Paul Scofield as More."
I agree with both of you lettice and angelosdaughter....Robert Shaw was a great Henry VIII, and I loved the movie. I know some felt Schofield was dry in this role, but I think More was rather dry in real life, so he played him perfectly....his voice is so easily identifiable...I love it!
angelosdaughter
angelosdaughter
11. RE: Another good interpretation of HenryVIII
Nov 3 2008, 12:28 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 3 2008, 12:28 PM EST
"Robert Shaw was good but he laughed a bit too much, I found it slightly irritating."
Well, Henry's nickname was "Bluff King Hal". I think he probably did laugh al lot.
Hever
Hever
12. RE: Another good interpretation of HenryVIII
Nov 3 2008, 1:03 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 3 2008, 1:03 PM EST
"Well, Henry's nickname was "Bluff King Hal". I think he probably did laugh al lot. "
Surely not that much, he wore me out just watching him laugh constantly! Maybe i'm just miserable. lol
FMFJRMGRL
FMFJRMGRL
13. RE: Another good interpretation of HenryVIII
Nov 6 2008, 10:50 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 6 2008, 10:50 AM EST
"Surely not that much, he wore me out just watching him laugh constantly! Maybe i'm just miserable. lol"
Nah, your not miserable...He was like that guy Rip Taylor that is always laughing and throwing confetti all over the place...It just didnt fit in.
He was great in Jaws though...
Schofield(More) was so very very quite and slow answering, which was quietannoying also.
Just my 2cents worth..
p.s.Schofield just died.
Hever
Hever
14. RE: Another good interpretation of HenryVIII
Nov 6 2008, 11:07 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 6 2008, 11:07 AM EST
"Nah, your not miserable...He was like that guy Rip Taylor that is always laughing and throwing confetti all over the place...It just didnt fit in.
He was great in Jaws though...
Schofield(More) was so very very quite and slow answering, which was quietannoying also.
Just my 2cents worth..
p.s.Schofield just died."
I also didn't mind Richard Burton, he was pretty good.
lettice
lettice
15. RE: Another good interpretation of HenryVIII
Nov 7 2008, 8:35 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 7 2008, 8:35 AM EST
"I also didn't mind Richard Burton, he was pretty good. "
I agree,Richard Burton also made a pretty good Henry 8. I love his speaking voice.
He was quite the sexy Welshman in his day.
Have you seen him and Peter O'toole in "Beckett"? I could listen to the soundtrack alone just to hear them both speak.
1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
angelosdaughter
angelosdaughter
16. RE: Another good interpretation of HenryVIII
Nov 7 2008, 9:00 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 7 2008, 9:00 AM EST
"I agree,Richard Burton also made a pretty good Henry 8. I love his speaking voice.
He was quite the sexy Welshman in his day.
Have you seen him and Peter O'toole in "Beckett"? I could listen to the soundtrack alone just to hear them both speak. "
Oh, yeah! Burton's sonorous voice and O'Toole's elegant and sometimes sarcastic delivery really enhanced their interpretations of their characters. They remain two of my favorite actors. It is difficult to find actors of their stature nowadays.
Peter O'Toole, in spite of his boozy roistering lifestyle in younger days has aged well. It is a shame that the same lifestyle took Burton's life at a relatively young age.
1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
DuchessGrey
DuchessGrey
17. RE: Another good interpretation of HenryVIII
Nov 9 2008, 2:30 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 9 2008, 2:30 PM EST
Richard Burton will always be King Henry VIII and Peter O'Toole will always be King Henry II Plantagenet. 0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
MsSquirrly
MsSquirrly
18. RE: Another good interpretation of HenryVIII
Nov 9 2008, 2:45 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 9 2008, 2:45 PM EST
Yes! Burton's voice gives me shivers. LOL When I was at school, our english teacher had these recordings of him reading Shakespeare that she would put on for us to listen to.Oh my, suddenly Shakespeare made sense and I loved the old english but it was all thanks to Richard Burtons wonderful voice. 0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

offwithherhead
19. RE: Another good interpretation of HenryVIII
Nov 9 2008, 3:09 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 9 2008, 3:09 PM EST
"Yes! Burton's voice gives me shivers. LOL When I was at school, our english teacher had these recordings of him reading Shakespeare that she would put on for us to listen to.Oh my, suddenly Shakespeare made sense and I loved the old english but it was all thanks to Richard Burtons wonderful voice."
His voice was wonderful!!.....is it any wonder that Liz married him twice? LOL
2 | Next

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on WikiFoundry Central.)