Sign in or
Want to add to this page?
(large pics on left and small pics & text on the right.)
Richmond at the time of Henry VII
Richmond at the time of Mary I (c. 1555)
Old Palace Gateway, other side bears the arms of Henry VII
Some 650 deer still roam free in Richmond Park
Model of Richmond Palace in the 1560s.
On show at the Museum of Richmond
Painted glass from Richmond Palace. One piece is decorated with the "HE" monogram of Henry VII and Elizabeth of York. On show at the Museum of Richmond
Not much of Henry VII's palace remains, but a walk around the area between Richmond Green and the Thames reveals a few sections of the Tudor structure. What remains has been made into a private residence and is not open to the public.
After a fire in 1497 destroyed the wooden original buildings, Henry VII rebuild and renamed the Palace after his family title - the Earl of Richmond. Richmond was once the largest and grandest palace in England and it was the venue for various occasions in the early 16th century. The wedding festivties of Prince Arthur and Katherine of Aragon were held there in 1501 and the formal betrothal of Princess Margaret Tudor to James IV of Scotland was held there as well. The birth and death of Henry VIII's and Katherine of Aragon's infant son occured at Richmond in 1510. The original Tudor Palace is gone, but the old palace gatehouse remains and Richmond Park which was once the royal hunting grounds.
Henry VII's coat of arms at Richmond
with a spray of Tudor roses beneath
Left: The surviving gateway of Richmond Palace. The palace was built by Henry VII, replacing the old Shene Palace which was extensively damaged by fire in 1497. Henry died at Richmond Palace on 21 April 1509.
Latest page update: made by MsSquirrly
, Apr 23 2009, 12:52 AM EDT
(about this update
About This Update
Edited by MsSquirrly
77 words added
3 images added
- complete history)
Keyword tags: Richmond Palace
More Info: links to this page