Sign in or
Jewellery of Today's British Royalty
| Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II|
BRAZILIAN AQUAMARINE NECKLACE
The earrings and matching necklace were a Coronation gift to The Queen from the President and People of Brazil in 1953.
The perfectly matched stones are in diamond and platinum settings.
BRAZILIAN AQUAMARINE SUITE
The bracelet and matching brooch were presented to The Queen by the Brazilian Government in 1958 as a matching addition to the original Coronation gift of 1953.
BRAZILIAN AQUAMARINE BRACELET
BRAZILIAN AQUAMARINE EARRINGS
THE KENSINGTON BROOCH
In July 1893 The Committee of the Kensington wedding gift fund representing the inhabitants of Kensington visited Princess May of Teck’s home at White Lodge, Richmond, and presented her with this bow shaped diamond brooch with a large oriental pearl drop.
She wore the brooch at King Edward VII’s coronation in 1902 and at her own coronation in 1911 as an appropriate symbol of her childhood at Kensington Palace. The brooch is now with the current Queen.
An eighteenth birthday present to Princess Elizabeth from her parents King George VI and Queen Elizabeth in 1944. These clips are a personal favorite and seen frequently on the queen.
Done in the clip style popularized by Cartier, they are an Art Deco arrangement of aquamarines and diamonds. Though they are often called the Aquamarine Cartier Clips (they are identified as such in Leslie Field’s The Queen’s Jewels, where the connection is drawn to Louis Cartier’s adaptation of wooden clothes pins), according to the Royal Collection they were made by Boucheron.
|WILLIAMSON DIAMOND BROOCH|
The central diamond of 23.6 carats is the finest pink diamond in existence. It was excavated from a mine in Tanganyika (Tanzania) belonging to the Canadian geologist Dr John Williamson, who gave it as a wedding present to Princess Elizabeth in 1947. It was cut by Briefel and Lemer of London in 1948 and set in the centre of a new brooch designed by Frederick Mew of Cartier in 1952.
One of Queen Mary’s Cambridge emeralds was matched by Garrards, who also supplied the 22 brilliant-cut diamonds at a total cost of £350.
The earrings, first worn for the Delhi Durbar, were inherited by The Queen in 1953.
The Cambridge Emeralds originated from Queen Elizabeth's great-grandmother, Princess Mary-Adelaide, the Duchess of Teck, mother of Queen Mary. Princess Mary was a granddaughter of King George III of the United Kingdom so she was an extended member of the Royal family.
THE CAMBRIDGE EMERALD COLLECTION OF QUEEN MARY
THE DELHI DURBAR NECKLACE
The necklace was presented
to Queen Mary by the
Maharanee of Patiala on
behalf of the Ladies of India
to mark the first visit to India
by a British Queen-Empress.
At Queen Mary’s suggestion,
it was designed to match her
other emerald jewellery created
for the Delhi Durbar.
In 1912 Garrards slightly altered the necklace, making the existing emerald pendant detachable and adding a second detachable diamond pendant.
This is an 8.8 carat marquise diamond known as Cullinan VII, one of the nine numbered stones cut from the Cullinan Diamond. The necklace was inherited by The Queen in 1953.
The Royal Collection © 2008,
Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
CAMBRIDGE EMERALD BRACELET
The bracelet, made for Queen Mary to wear at the Delhi Durbar, incorporates three of the Cambridge emeralds and is en suite with the necklace.
|KING GEORGE VI SAPPHIRE AND DIAMOND SUITE|
Purchased by King George VI from Carrington & Co and given to Princess Elizabeth as a wedding present in 1947.
The necklace originally consisted of eighteen emerald-cut sapphires in diamond clusters. In 1952 it was shortened by four stones, the largest of which was converted into a pendant to the necklace in 1959.
The pendant now also has a pin fitting for wearing as a brooch. A tiara and bracelet was made to go with the suite.
|THE QUEEN ANNE AND QUEEN CAROLINE PEARL NECKLACES|
These necklaces, of forty-six (Queen Anne) and fifty (Queen Caroline) pearls, weighing 1,045gr. and 1,429.20gr. respectively, are always worn together and were given by the King and Queen to Princess Elizabeth as a wedding present in 1947.
The association with Queen Anne and Queen Caroline is first noted in the Garrards inventory of 1896.
|THE DUCHESS OF TECK PEARL EARRINGS|
These earrings, which originally belonged to Princess Mary, Duchess of Gloucester (1776-1857), were bequeathed to her niece Princess Mary Adelaide, Duchess of Teck, mother of Queen Mary.
The Duchess gave them to her daughter, Queen Mary, who wore them at her wedding, in 1897.
The drops [seen above on the Duchess], which were sometimes worn as pendants on a fine chain by Queen Mary when Princess of Wales, were bequeathed (with replacement brilliant tops) to the Queen in 1953. Her Majesty frequently wears them with the Vladimir Tiara and Queen Victoria's Golden Jubliee Necklace.
They were given to Princess Elizabeth on 31 January 1947, the day of her departure with her parents and sister, by ship, for their State Visit to South Africa. The Princess wore them on her wedding day 20 November 1947, and they have been worn regularly every since.
|RUBY AND DIAMOND NECKLACE|
The three large flat-cut rubies set in brilliant-cut diamond clusters were probably first made as a pair of earrings and a pendant and were later adapted to form the centrepiece of the necklace.
Formerly in the Baring collection, the necklace was acquired by The Queen in 1964.
|THE TECK PEARL BROOCH|
Originally owned by Queen Mary's mother, the Duchess of Teck, was given to the Queen.
[for more info see Queen Mary's section below]
|DIAMOND FRINGE NECKLACE|
A wedding present to
Princess Elizabeth in 1947
from the Lord Mayor of London
and the Court of Aldermen,
the Governor of the Bank of England, the Chairman of the Stock Exchange, the Chairman of Lloyds,
the Chairman of the Baltic Exchange and the Committee of London Clearing Banks. The necklace, which is of similar design to the Russian-style ‘Kokoshnik’ Tiara/Necklace, is threaded on silk.
The pearls used to create these earrings were a wedding present to Princess Elizabeth in 1947 from the Sheikh of Bahrain.
The diamonds used in the earrings use a variety of modern cuts.
THE GODMAN EMERALD AND DIAMOND NECKLACE
The exquisitely crafted emerald and diamond encrusted Godman Necklace, which is part of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II's personal jewelery collection, was a gift by the two elderly Godman sisters to her majesty the Queen. The name"Godman Necklace" reflects the name of the original owners of the necklace.
The two sisters who remained unmarried and were spinsters inherited the necklace from their father Frederick Du Cann, a British naturalist, who purchased the necklace whilst on a holiday in Bavaria in the 1890s. The necklace was thought to be owned previously by the Empress Josephine of France, the Empress Consort and first wife of Napoleon Bonaparte.
|THE RUBY BOUCHERON BANDEAU|
The necklace was ordered by The Hon Mrs Ronald Greville from Boucheron in Paris on 24 October 1907. It was among the splendid jewels bequeathed by Mrs Greville to Queen Elizabeth in 1942 and was given to Princess Elizabeth as a wedding present in 1947. The necklace was subsequently shortened by the removal of two of the smallest flower clusters.
Emerald and Gold Set
Emerald and Gold Set
HM Queen Elizabeth
wearing a diamond and sapphire suite
|THE NIZAM ROSE BROOCHES |
Originally a tiara/necklace (see above), the piece was a gift to Her Majesty for her Coronation.
Nizam of Hyderabad Parure is a importent Diamond-Necklace and Tiara. It was a present of the Nizam of Hyderabad to the Queen of England.
This wonderful tiara does not exist anymore.
The tiara was, together with a necklace given to HM The Queen by the Nizam of Hyberabad as a coronation-gift. Made by Cartier and later broken up to be used in new setting, in the Burmese Ruby Rose Tiara, made by Courtjeweller Garrard.
When the Nizam Tiara was broken up, it was made into Rose Brooches for the Queen to wear. Queen Elizabeth wears it now as brooches. The large one as a single one, the smaller as a pair.
|THE KENT DEMI-PARURE|
The Kent demi-parure is one of the oldest collections of jewellry in the royal family. It consists of a necklace, three brooches, earrings, and a pair of hair combs.
The parure was owned by Queen Victoria's mother, the Duchess of Kent. The portrait above shows the Duchess wearing the brooch upon her bodice. The brooch consists of a hexagonal-cut amethyst surrounded by diamond sunrays and three smaller amethyst hanging pendants. Victoria inherited the collection upon her mother's death in 1861. In 1901, Victoria left the amethysts to the crown in her will.
The Queen Mother wore it a few times, but the suite eventually passed to Queen Elizabeth. She wore the parure upon her venture to Portugal in 1984. The pendant which hangs from the necklace is the same as the earrings while the middle stone is surrounded by two diamond and amethysts exactly the same as the brooch.
[Source: Field, 'The Queen's Jewels,' 1987]
|KING FAISAL OF SAUDI ARABIA NECKLACE|
The necklace is a fringe necklace
in design and is set with brilliant and
baguette diamonds. Made by Harry Winston, King Faisal bought the necklace and presented it to HM on a state visit to the United Kingdom in 1967. The Queen wore this necklace when King Faisal gave a banquet in honour of Elizabeth in the Dorchester hotel before his departure.
The Queen loaned this necklace
to Diana, Princess of Wales during a state visit to Australia in 1983.
After not being seen for quite a while, HRH The Countess of Wessex [Sophie] was loaned the necklace to wear at the dinner gala after the Luxembourg wedding of Countess Stephanie of Lannoy and the Grand Duke Prince Guillaume of Luxembourg on 20 October 2012.
|SOUTH AFRICAN DIAMONDS|
The South African Government: gave Her Majesty a necklace set with 21 diamonds of the finest quality.
The Queen refers to the set as 'my best diamonds.'
She would wear them again in 2010 on her return to South Africa.
|THE DIAMOND FESTOON NECKLACE|
In 1950, King George VI had a diamond necklace created for his daughter Princess Elizabeth using 105 loose collets that were among the Crown heirlooms he inherited. (These, according to Hugh Roberts, had been used by Queen Mary to change the lengths of her multiple diamond collet necklaces, hence their loose status in the collection.)
The end result is this take on a triple strand necklace: three strands of graduated collets suspended between two diamond triangles, with a single collet strand at the back. This is also called simply the Queen’s Festoon Necklace, though I’ll use George VI’s name to be a little more specific.
|DIAMOND AND PLATINUM NECKLACE|
A wedding present from the Nizam of Hyderabad to Princess Elizabeth in 1947, the necklace was remodelled from an earlier Cartier piece.
The double drop pendant, which incorporates 13 emerald-cut diamonds, is detachable from the chain of 38 brilliant-cut open-back collets.
Below, the Duchess of Cambridge was loaned the necklace in 2014.
|THE QUEEN'S FOUR ROW PEARL CHOKER|
The Queen had this four-row choker made from the Pearls in her collection. The large, conical, diamond-studded clasp is deep enough to add yet another two rows of pearls, if she desires.
In 1982, the Queen loaned the necklace to the Princess of Wales to wear at a banquet at Hampton Court Palace.
|THE QUEEN'S PEAR SHAPED DIAMONDS|
A pair of modern, gold-set diamond stud earrings with large pear-shaped dropped diamonds; made from family stones, most likely some of Victoria's diamonds.
The Queen loaned the Diamonds
to Diana more than a
few times for special occasions.
DAGMAR NECKLACE OF QUEEN ALEXANDRA
Queen Elizabeth wears her great-grandmother's Dagmar Necklace to a State visit to Denmark in 1957.
The original necklace had a cross which hung from the pearl in the center. It could be worn with the full necklace or alone like Queen Alexandra did.
For a full description see
DAGMAR NECKLACE OF QUEEN ALEXANDRA
Queen Alexandra's section on page 2.
|THE JARDINE DIAMOND STAR|
It features 8 diamond rays separated by a single collet which fan out from a central cluster of a large diamond 8 smaller stones.
Leslie Field in The Queen's Jewels:
"In 1981 the Queen was left a late-Victorian diamond star brooch by Lady Jardine, which she has worn on many occasions. It has a collet diamond on a knife-wire between each of its eight points."
The Queen has worn it several times through out the Diamond Jubilee year of 2012.
RASHID OF DUBAI SAPPHIRE SUITE
This sapphire suite of earrings and a loop necklace was a gift from Sheik Rashid of Dubai, on a visit in February 1979.
LESSER STARS OF AFRICA – Cullinan III and IV
For her diamond jubilee celebration at St. Paul's the queen broke out the Cullinan brooch.
(For the full description of the Cullinans, see below under Queen Mary)
|VICTORIA'S GOLDEN JUBILEE NECKLACE|
The famous Queen Victoria's
Golden Jubilee Necklace:
26 large Pearls and more than 300 brilliant cut diamonds are setting in this royal necklace as a gift of the people of Canada, to mark the golden jubilee of Queen Victoria.
A similar necklace was made for Princess Alexandra of Kent
(Misc Section - PAGE 2)
|KING KHALID OF SAUDI ARABIA DIAMOND NECKLACE|
The necklace was presented to Her Majesty by King Khalid when she made a State visit to his country in February of 1979.
The Queen loaned the necklace to The Princess of Wales on several occasions, such as the one pictured here where the Princess completed the look with a pair of ornate diamond and pearl drop earrings; which were a wedding present of Amir of Qatar.
|THE CAMBRIDGE PEARL BROOCH|
From Queen Alexandra's Collection
THE SAPPHIRE AND DIAMOND BRACELET
An eighteenth birthday present to Princess Elizabeth from her father King George VI in 1944.
ENGAGEMENT RING OF ELIZABETH
This ring was given to Princess Elizabeth as a token of Prince Philip's love. He had dismantled one of his mother's old tiaras to make this ring. The engagement between Princess Elizabeth and Lieutenant Philip Mountbatten R.N was officially announced on July 9, 1947.
Sapphire, diamond, emerald, amethyst and ruby brooch by Cartier, London.
Given by the Duke of York (the future King George VI) to the Duchess of York (the future Queen Elizabeth, later The Queen Mother) in 1928 and to Princess Elizabeth by her parents as a birthday present during the Second World War.
THE FLOWER BASKET BROOCH
A present to Princess Elizabeth from King George VI and Queen Elizabeth to mark the birth of her first child and their first grandchild, Prince Charles on 14 November 1948. It is reported to be her favorite.
The Queen, when still Princess Elizabeth, wore this brooch when photographed by Cecil Beaton with her first child, Prince Charles, in December 1948.
DIAMOND WEDDING BRACELET
The bracelet is set with old brilliants taken from a tiara that had belonged to Princess Andrew of Greece, mother of Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh. It was designed and made for Prince Philip by the London jeweller Philip Antrobus (of 6 Old Bond St.) as a wedding present for Princess Elizabeth.
|CARTIER FLOWER BROOCH|
Pink and blue sapphire, diamond and ruby brooch made by Cartier, London.
Given to Princess Elizabeth by her parents King George VI and Queen Elizabeth in 1945.
THE QUEEN'S GARTER BADGE
Originally made for George IV, the badge was given as a wedding present to Prince Albert from Queen Victoria who wore it after his death.
|INSIGNIA OF |
HM QUEEN ELIZABETH II
THE QUEEN'S GARTER STAR
Originally a present to King George VI on his marriage, it was given to Princess Elizabeth in 1947 by her father at the time of her investiture with the Order of the Garter.
THE QUEEN'S CAMEO AND ENAMEL GARTER BADGE
The Queen wears this badge as an alternative to the diamond cameo badge which was made for George IV.
Her Majesty's Many Brooches
| Lady Diana, Princess of Wales|
The personal jewels of Lady Diana are noted as such. If the jewels were not loaned to her by the Queen, they are the property of Lady Diana. After her death, they were either sold or put away for her children, Prince William and Prince Harry to inherit.
SAPPHIRE AND DIAMOND EARRINGS
Kate Middleton already wears Princess Diana's sapphire and diamond engagement ring, and now the Duchess of Cambridge has received more jewels from her husband's late mother. Prince William, 29, has given his 29-year-old bride a pair of Diana's favorite earrings, also made of sapphire and diamonds.
"Now that they're married, William wanted her to have some of his mother's favorite pieces," an insider tells The Daily Mail.
The earrings are sapphire surrounded by 10 brilliant diamonds.
Ever the fashionista, the Duchess opted to give the earrings a modern twist by having the studs remodeled into drop earrings.
Believed to be her most prized set of jewels, Diana wore them quite frequently before her death in 1997.
|COLLINGWOOD DIAMOND GIRANDOLE EARRINGS AND DIAMOND NECKLACE|
The diamond earrings and necklace
were on loan from Collingwood
jewelers, which were the jewelers
favored by the Spencer Family
ever since Lady Diana was a girl.
The jewelries were borrowed for the official engagement photographs taken by Lord Snowdon at Highgrove House. Collingwood had wanted to give this set to Diana as a wedding present but it was deemed inappropriate by Palace officials.
Collingwood did present Diana with
diamond and pearl earrings.
The necklace and earrings were
sold by an Iranian jeweler in Dusseldorf, Genio Hakimi, who claimed they were Spencer heirlooms that had been sold to pay for the wedding .
THE SAUDI SAPPHIRE AND DIAMOND SET
This pendant was part of a suite of sapphire jewelry Diana received as a wedding present from the Saudi Arabian royal family. Made by Asprey, the set consisted of an enormous Burmese sapphire pendant set in a jagged sun-ray fringe of baguette diamonds and hung on a thin diamond necklace; a matching pair of earrings and ring; a two-row bracelet of brilliant-cut diamonds with a smaller version of the sapphire pendant as a centrepiece; and a wristwatch, the face set in the same diamond sunray fringe and the strap consisting of seven oval sapphires set in clusters of diamonds...."
Diana wearing the bracelet on a velvet choker with velcro as a necklace.
Diana wore these jewels frequently before her death in 1997 as well.
[The earrings are not from the suite]
|LADY DIANA'S SAPPHIRE AND DIAMOND ENGAGEMENT RING |
Prince Charles initially proposed without an engagement ring,
insisting that Diana consider the
implications of the role of his wife
before accepting. Diana, however,
needed little encouragement after
she was presented a selection of
engagement jewels for her consideration by Garrard Jewellers.
Diana selected a large £30,000 ring
consisting of 14 diamonds surrounding
a sapphire, similar to her mother's
engagement ring. The sapphire and diamonds were set in white gold.
Because Diana's wedding band was gold (a royal welsh tradition), the ring appeared to be set in gold. It was not until the engagement of William and Kate that better pictures revealed the actual color.
From 'The Divided Prince' p.230 by
Christopher Andersen, Vanity Fair
20th Anniversary Issue pp.221-252,
September 2003 " ...Four months after
the funeral, it was Burrell who opened
the black front door to Kensington Palace and welcomed the boys for one last walk through the apartments
they had shared with their mother.
William shook Burrell's hand, but
"Harry ran across and hugged me,"
the butler recalled. "He knew my heart was breaking as much as theirs." Then, as a tearful Harry held on
tight to Burrell, they walked from room to room, picking out mementos to take with them to their new rooms at
St. James's Palace. Among other things, William chose the Cartier Tank watch that the Princess always wore - a gift from her father, the eight Earl Spencer. Harry picked out the sapphire-and-diamond engagement ring given by Charles to the blushing "Shy Di" when she was just 19."
Prince Harry had picked out the ring originally, but he was more than willing to give the ring over to his brother, Prince William, when he made his sentiments known to his family.
Catherine 'Kate' Middleton on her engagement to Prince William received the ring. Kate, after receiving the ring altered the ring to better suit her style and finger size. Miss Middleton asked the Crown jewellers, G Collins and Sons, to attach small platinum beads inside the bottom of the ring to make it a size I, which is said to be one notch up from her own finger width.
|THE CAMBRIDGE ART-DECO CHOKER|
Part of the
Cambridge Emerald Collection
Originally made with sixteen of the Cambridge Emeralds as part of the Delhi Durbar Parure, matching the necklace and bracelet, it was re-modeled for Queen Mary in the 1920s using the same emeralds and brilliant-cut diamonds, but set in platinum in the Art Deco style.
The Cambridge Emerald Choker, the Lover's Knot Tiara and some other valuable pieces of jewelry were given as gifts to Princess Diana at the time of her marriage to Prince Charles.
Princess Diana initially wore the Cambridge Emerald Choker for the purpose it was designed for, but later she wore the choker as a bandeau across her forehead, as she was seen doing at a charity event in Melbourne, Australia, in 1984, and again in 1988 at a formal event also in Australia, at which she appeared dressed in a dark green gown.
Full description of the Cambridge collection in Elizabeth II's section and the history of the emeralds is in Queen Mary's section.
|PRINCE OF WALES FEATHER PENDANT|
(a copy is now worn by
Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall)
The only diamond necklace that the
Princess of Wales owned was the
solid chain of brilliant-cut diamonds
set in gold that part of the sapphire and diamond suite she received as a
wedding gift from the
Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia.
(see above picture of
Sapphire Necklace and Earrings)
Its large sapphire pendant is
detachable and the Princess
also wore the chain with the diamond
Prince of Wales Feathers' Pendant
that Queen Elizabeth the
Queen Mother gave her just after
her engagement was announced.
This oval pendant, which has a
detachable emerald drop, had been
a wedding gift to
Princess Alexandra of Denmark
from the 'Ladies of Bristol'
when she married the future
King Edward VII in 1863...
For an explanation of the pendants of the Princess of Wales; did Camilla get Diana's jewels..see the jewels of HRH Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall.
Diana added the cabochon
emerald drop to her diamond
Prince of Wales Feather Pendant,
recalling the style of Princess Alexandra.
|OMAN SUITE: DIAMOND EARRINGS, DIAMOND NECKLACE, DIAMOND BRACELET|
This crescent-shaped diamond
earrings were given to Diana by the
Sultan of Oman during the royal couple's visit to Oman in November 1986
(Dressing Diana p.99, Tim Graham and Tamsin Blanchard).
The suite consists of a diamond
the necklace and earrings seen in this
photo and a diamond bracelet.
|SIX-ROW PEARL CHOKER WITH A LARGE OVAL STONE SURROUNDED BY DIAMONDS|
Princess Diana at the
Victoria and Albert Museum, shortly after her marriage to Prince Charles, wears a Bellville Sassoon dress to an exhibition at the Victoria and Albert Museum.
Diana was very fond of Pearls. She would wear multiple strands at once.
Here The Princess is wearing a Pearl Choker with an Opal center piece.
|SPENCER DIAMOND EARRINGS|
These are the diamond earrings
that Diana wore on her wedding
day on July 29th 1981 for
her marriage to Prince Charles.
The earrings belonged to her mother, Frances Shand-Kydd. She lent them to Diana so she could wear them on her wedding day as
|SEVEN-STRAND DIAMOND AND SAPPHIRE PEARL CHOKER|
"The seven-strand pearl choker that
stunned the world."
The large sapphire with two
rows of diamonds surrounding
it was originally a brooch, given to the Princess by
Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother as a wedding gift.
The Princess wore it as a
brooch on two occasions,
but decided to have it altered to be
the center piece of a pearl choker.
THE SWAN LAKE SUITE
The Princess wore this necklace
to the royal gala performance
of the ballet Swan Lake at the
Royal Albert Hall in London in
The necklace was
created by Garrards in the spring
"knowledge and assistance"
and included five of the
Princess's favourite jewels -
South Sea pearls. She wore the
necklace to the gala performance
before returning it to the jewellers
for the accompanying pearl
and diamond earrings
to be completed. Her untimely death prevented her purchase of the suite.
|CHANEL BUTTON EARRINGS|
Diana's 'Costume' Jewellery
Chanel Ad feat. the Earrings Diana wore.
|PEAR SHAPED DIAMOND AND AQUAMARINE EARRINGS|
This pear-shaped aquamarine is
surrounded by diamonds
and hangs from a diamond
The huge cross suspended
from this long strand of pearls
was a loan from Garrard's.
EMERALD CUT AQUAMARINES
|RUBY AND DIAMOND TASSEL NECKLACE|
Similar to the set made for the Duchess of Windsor
|SAPPHIRE TEARDROP EARRINGS||DOUBLE CLUSTER AMETHYST AND DIAMOND NECKLACE AND EARRINGS|
ELEVEN STRAND PEARL CHOKER
with diamond and ruby spacers
GRADUATED DIAMOND FLOWER CLUSTER NECKLACE
KING KHALID SAUDI NECKLACE OF QUEEN ELIZABETH II
This necklace was made by Harry Winston and was given to QEII when she made a State visit to Saudi Arabia in February 1979. The Queen loaned it to the Princess on at least three occasions during 1982 and 1983 (The Queen's Jewels p.57, Leslie Field). Diana wears it with the diamond and pearl drop earrings, a wedding present from the Emir of Qatar.
|SPENCER DIAMOND AND PEARL DROP NECKLACE|
"...Every single diamond is detachable and a bracelet can be made from part of it. Hanging from the necklace are 3 pearls in diamond mounts and drops from a pair of diamond earrings..."
'Diana: A Celebration' Souvenir booklet pg. 16
TRIPLE-STRAND PEARL CHOKER
A gift from the Spencer family on the Princess' 18th birthday.
"...It consisted of three rows with a turquoise and pearl cluster clasp, the clasp showing when it matched the colour of her outfit, hidden at the back when it did not. She has now altered the clasp to be all pearls..."
The Queen's Jewels p.99, Leslie Field, 1987
DIAMOND AND SOUTH SEA PEARL EARRINGS
Princess Diana wore pearls to a gala performance at Her Majesty's Theatre, London, in November of 1993.
|GOLD HOOP EARRINGS|
Diana wore this pair for a photo shoot photographer Patrick Demarchelier.
Princess Diana was photographed in New York City in January, 1995. Diana is wearing a Catherine Walker gown and a multi-strand pearl choker with a large sapphire (brooch) at its midpoint.
Princess Diana wearing a long strand of pearls, knotted and flowing down the open back of her crushed velvet evening gown. This picture of Princess Diana was taken at the London premiere of Back To The Future in December, 1985.
|HRH The Duchess of Cornwall|
Like Lady Diana, Camilla has been loaned certain items from the Queen. If they previously belonged to one of the members of the Royal family, it is on loan from the Queen.
|THE GREVILLE COLLAR|
Previously owned by
The Late Queen Mother,
The Duchess now wears the
necklace along with the Queen Mother's Boucherin Tiara. The necklace and tiara were loaned to Camilla by Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth.
The necklace can be scaled down
to just 2 rows or 3, depending on
how much 'bling' the
Duchess wants to wear.
(FULL DESCRIPTION WITH MORE PHOTOS IN THE JEWELS OF QUEEN MOTHER, BELOW)
|SERPENT AND DIAMOND NECKLACE|
The Delhi Durbar tiara, loaned to Camilla by Her Majesty.
Three row pearl choker with an aquamarine brooch attached in the middle(above); pearl dangling earrings.
This fashion started in Edwardian times, was revamped by her predecessor, Princess Diana.
See below for the five strand choker with pink topaz.
|SAUDI RUBY AND DIAMOND NECKLACE|
DIAMOND FLOWER BROOCH
Wearing the tiara of the late Queen Mother, loaned to Camilla by Her Majesty, the Queen.
The set of pink topaz and diamonds (originally a brooch, now the choker’s centerpiece, with matching earrings) is Edwardian and was purchased at auction at Sotheby’s in the year 2000.
DAISIES AND YELLOW GOLD NECKLACE
Diamond necklace and earrings.
DIAMOND COLLET CORONATION NECKLACE/DIAMOND BRACELET
The Duchess of Cornwall
wearing The Queen Mother's jewels.
These items were loaned to Camilla by Her Majesty, the Queen.
(FOR FULL DESCRIPTION AND MORE PHOTOS, SEE JEWELS OF THE QUEEN MOTHER, ELIZABETH BELOW)
PRINCE OF WALES FEATHER BROOCH
When Diana was married to Charles, she wore this brooch, for an explanation on the discrepancies between whether or not Camilla got Diana's pin, see below;
It is known as the Ladies of North Wales Brooch - it is worn by the current Princess of Wales - Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall. The diamond-set brooch was a wedding gift from the Ladies of North Wales to Princess Alexandra of Denmark. The Prince of Wales feathers is encircled by 18 diamonds and 36 emeralds with a hanging emerald pendant.
The feathers emerge from a coronet with a band of 6 emeralds and a ruby. A ribbon is engraved with the motto of the Prince of Wales "Ich dien"--"I serve".
The Ladies of North Wales brooch was inherited by Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother who wore the brooch to the investiture of Prince Charles as Prince of Wales in 1969.
Diana wore this piece as a pendant on a necklace (see above).
|ENGAGEMENT RING OF CAMILLA, DUCHESS OF CORNWALL|
The platinum and diamond engagement ring given to Camilla by the Prince of Wales belonged to Charles's grandmother, Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother. It was not the Queen Mother’s wedding or engagement ring but one of many rings in her collection. Clarence House confirmed only that the ring was a precious royal heirloom. But a courtier said: “It was the Queen Mother’s. No doubt about it.” The Times reported that the 1930s art deco ring, which has been reset to fit Camilla, was a favourite of the Queen Mother. At the time it was given to Camilla, it was valued around £100,000. It has been speculated that it may be part of the Greville inheritance, a gift to the future Queen Mother from the society hostess Mrs Ronald Greville at whose home, Polesden Lacey in Surrey the Queen Mother spent her honeymoon (as the then Duchess of York) Dame Margaret Greville, the heiress to the McEwen brewing family and a close friend of Queen Mary, left most of her collection to the Queen Mother. Most of her jewels were set in platinum, reflecting the taste of the Queen Mother and the style of the period. The choice of a ring owned by the Queen Mother is a little surprising, as it has been repeated broadcast that the Queen Mother deeply disapproved of Mrs Parker Bowles and opposed her grandson’s remarrying. And in addition Charles and Camilla spent their honeymoon at Birkhall, the Queen Mother's former on the Queen’s Balmoral estate which she willed to Prince Charles.
|LADIES OF NORTH WALES LEEK DIAMOND AND EMERALD PIN|
Additionally, on the occasion of her marriage, Princess Alexandra was given by the Ladies of North Wales a large emerald and diamond oval brooch with an emerald and diamond leek in the centre and cabochon emerald drop, along with matching earrings which is now worn by the Duchess on occasion.
The leek is the national symbol of Wales and the legend is in Welsh.
"To our Princess."
|Mystery behind |
"Did Camilla get Diana's pin?"
or for that matter ANY of her jewels.....
In regards to the Princess of Wales brooches worn by both Diana and Camilla. Leslie Field's information is that there are 2 brooches, one was made and gifted to Queen Alexandra when she was Princess of Wales. When Alexandra became Queen and her daughter-in-law Mary of Teck became Princess of Wales, Alexandra had an identical copy made of her brooch to give to Mary. Diana received Alexandra's brooch to wear and Camilla received Mary's brooch to wear.
Technically, the brooch was never Diana's, nor is it Camilla's.
These jewels belong to the monarch. They wouldn't be private items owned by the current Prince of Wales, because had that been the case Edward VIII Wallis or sold them.
The monarch then would be the person who lent these brooches (and other PoW brooches, Alexandra was given several, Camilla has worn some of the other brooches as well) to both Camilla and Diana. There is not a high likelihood that the Queen would have given Camilla a brooch that had been worn by Diana, just like the fact that Camilla has never been seen wearing the Cambridge tiara, as that was lent to Diana. This increases the probability that there are 2 separate brooches.
This could all change though once or if she becomes Queen consort.
Camilla does not have a large treasure trove of jewellery, she has her own private jewellery and then there's what the Queen loans her. It's the Queen who owns all of the Queen Mother jewellery (to save on having to pay inheritance tax) and she's the one who lends it to Camilla to wear. Prince Charles does not own his grandmother's jewellery.
| Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother|
|CORONATION DIAMOND COLLET NECKLACE (1937) |
A Coronation present from King George VI to Queen Elizabeth.
This necklace is comprised of forty brilliant-cut diamonds.
The Queen Mother with her grandson, Prince Charles of Wales.
Pinned to the middle of Elizabeth's dress is the Sunburst Diamond Brooch of Queen Alexandra.
|GREVILLE CHANDELIER DIAMOND EARRINGS|
c. 1918 and 1922
These earrings, which are designed to show the greatest possible variety of modern cuts of diamond including half moon, trapeze, square, pear, baguette and emerald, were among the magnificent jewels bequeathed by the Hon. Mrs Ronald Greville to Queen Elizabeth in 1942. Mrs Greville ordered the earrings from Cartier in December 1918 and in September 1922 Cartier supplied the King with six drops.
The earrings were given from the Queen Mother to Princess Elizabeth for her wedding in 1947.
|VICTORIA'S JUBILEE DIAMONDS|
(For full description see Page 2 under Queen Victoria)
The Queen Mother wore
Victoria's collection during her
Coronation in 1937 along with the
Necklace that was made especially
The Queen Mother wearing one of her favorite tiaras, the Oriental Circlet
|ALEXANDRA'S PEARLS |
Full description in
section on PAGE 2.
Also wearing the Fringe Tiara.
|THE GREVILLE COLLIER|
Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother used the 5 row necklace when King Frederik IX and Queen Ingrid was in Great Britain on state visit 1951.
The 3 Strand Version Greville Collier
The Full Greville Collier
|QUEEN MOTHER DIAMOND EARRINGS|
Shown here is a pair of Diamond Flower Earrings that the Queen Mother was very fond of. She is also wearing a brooch from past Queen Consorts.
The earrings were passed to the current Queen who was just recently seen wearing them in 2009 on a trip to Tobago.
QUEEN VICTORIA'S RUBY SUITE
QUEEN MOTHER PEARLS
Queen Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon.
Dangling from the center strand is most likely one of the detachable Emerald Tear Drops from
The Cambridge Emerald Collection.
This fashion of adding detachable gems was introduced by Queen Consort Alexandra during her reign.
The Queen Mother and one of her many brooches.
"CANADA DAY" DIAMOND LEAF BROOCH
The brooch was given to the late monarch, Queen consort Elizabeth, by the people of Canada in 1939.
It was passed down to HM queen Elizabeth II, who wore it herself as well on her first royal visit to Canada. The brooch is encrusted with glittering diamonds.
The leaf was loaned to The Duchess of Cornwall.
And it was loaned again to The Duchess of Cambridge on her visit to Canada in 2011.
|QUEEN MOTHER DIAMOND DROP EARRINGS|
Bequeathed to Queen Elizabeth, later The Queen Mother.
These earrings were made for the Hon. Mrs Ronald Greville, the well-known society hostess and friend of the Royal Family. On her death in 1942, she bequeathed her magnificent jewellery, much of it by Cartier, to Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother (1900-2002).
Instead of wearing the Jubilee diamond earrings along with the diamond necklace, HM went with her mother's Grenville diamond earrings at the Turkish Banquet. She is also seen wearing Queen Victoria's diamond fringe brooch.
| Mary of Teck, Queen consort of George V|
Queen Mary of Teck, the queen of the United Kingdom, the British Dominions and the Empress of India, during the reign of her husband King George V (1910-1936), developed a great passion for collecting objects of art, jewels and jewelry, and other objects with a royal provenance, such as porcelain, cameos, royal seals, Faberge animals and eggs, jeweled fans, gold boxes encrusted with jewels etc. She is credited with transforming the British Royal Family's jewel collection, both the crown jewels and the personal jewelry collection, into one of the greatest jewelry collections in the world. Among the notable jewelry collections she acquired were the Romanov jewels, that once belonged to Russia's Dowager Empress Marie Feodrovna, mother of Czar Nicholas II, the last Czar of Russia, and sister of England's Queen Alexandra, and jewels belonging to Grand Duchess Maria Vladimir Alexandrovich, the aunt of Czar Nicholas II. The Queen became famous for superbly bejeweling herself for formal occasions, and her crowning moment of glory came when she was hailed as the most spectacular royal guest at the wedding of Kaiser Wilhelm's daughter in 1913, which she attended heavily bedecked with jewelry. She also owned some spectacular pieces of pearl jewelry, that included the famous Cambridge Lovers Knot Tiara.
The stomacher is formed as three linked brooches which can be worn separately. Made for Queen Mary in 1920 with diamonds from two of her wedding presents: the ‘Kapurthala’ stomacher and the ‘Town of Swansea’ crescent, both given in 1893.
Queen Mary is pictured above wearing the stomacher during the visit of King Albert and Queen Elizabeth of Belgium in 1922.
Given by Queen Mary to Princess Elizabeth for her wedding in 1947.
The stomacher can be broken up and used as individual brooches as shown below.
|THE TECK NECKLACE/TIARA|
Queen Mary's Mother,
Princess Mary Adelaide of Cambridge wearing The Teck Necklace. Queen Mary inherited the jewels of her mother, the Duchess of Teck. Princess Mary was the daughter of Prince Adolphus, son of King George III making her a Princess of the United Kingdom by birth.
Princess Margaret, sister of
HM Queen Elizabeth II wearing
The Teck Necklace
|THE CULLINAN DIAMONDS I TO IV|
Worn by Queen Mary during her reign, they are now part of
Queen Elizabeth's Personal Collection.
The Cullinan Diamonds I to IV
The Cullinan's are hanging from
her necklace above.
Below, Queen Mary wears it as a brooch below her rows of diamond necklaces.
The Cullinan Diamonds
|THE TECK EMERALD AND DIAMOND BROOCH|
Originally used as separate and detachable parts of a stomacher made for the Duchess of Teck in the early 1890s.
The Duchess of Teck, Princess Mary, mother of Queen Mary wears the stomacher above.
Queen Mary joined the two elements (comprising two of the Cambridge Emeralds) into a brooch which she wore pinned below the Delhi Durbar Stomacher. The two Cullinan's can be seen attached to the stomacher.
The Brooch is now part of
The Royal Collection of
HRH Elizabeth II Jewels.
THE AMETHYST COLLECTION OF QUEEN MARY
Queen Mary won the amethysts
at a charity auction and had them
set into the parure you see in the photo.
*(The picture of the full purare is a re-creation through photo shop of what the collection might have looked like before it was sold off)*
Evidently, she only wore the parure
once and then gave it to
The Queen Mother as a gift.
The Queen Mother never wore it and auctioned the parure after The Queen
declined it for the royal collection.
The necklace is now property of Vogue's Editor Anna Wintour. Anna is a descendant of Lady Elizabeth Foster, the Duchess of Devonshire who married the 5th Duke, the former husband of Lady Georgiana Spencer.
THE CULLINAN IV BROOCH
The unusual heart-shaped stone of 18.8 carats, given by the Government of South Africa to Queen Mary in 1910, is one of the nine numbered Cullinan diamonds. In its diamond and platinum setting, it was designed both as a brooch and as the detachable centre of the emerald and diamond stomacher made for the Delhi Durbar in 1911. For the 1937 coronation, Queen Mary used this brooch in her coronet in the place of the Koh-i-Nûr, which had been transferred to Queen Elizabeth’s crown. It was bequeathed to The Queen by Queen Mary in 1953.
Two of the Cullinan's are attached to Queen Mary's Delhi Durbar Tiara. The Cullinan VI and VIII are pinned onto the middle of her dress.
THE CULLINAN VI AND VIII
The marquise pendant of 11.5 carats, Cullinan VI, purchased by King Edward VII from Asschers, was set by Queen Alexandra on her regal circlet. It is now suspended from Cullinan VIII, an emerald-cut stone of 6.8 carats given to Queen Mary in 1910 by the South African Government. Like the Cullinan V, the Cullinan VIII brooch, was also designed to be used in the Delhi Durbar stomacher. The brooch was inherited by The current Queen in 1953.
|CAMBRIDGE EMERALD AND DIAMOND BROOCH|
The brooch incorporates two of the Cambridge Emeralds, one a gold-set cushion-shaped stone, the other a detachable pear-shaped pendant. The brooch could also be fitted into the Delhi Durbar stomacher. When so used by Queen Mary, the two emeralds were separated by the Cullinan VIII brooch.
|DIAMOND FRINGE NECKLACE|
from Queen Victoria;
Given to Queen Mary as a
wedding present in 1893.
THE DIAMOND AIGRETTE CHOKER
The giver of the important diamond choker worn in the photographs is not known. It is an all diamond choker displaying amatory trophies of arrows and quivers.
Queen Mary is also wearing the Jubilee necklace and wedding pin of Queen Victoria.
|DIAMOND AND SILVER-GILT AMETHYST AND DIAMOND BROOCH OF KING GEORGE IV|
Siberian amethyst, diamonds; gold collet mount, framed by open scroll-shaped mounts in silver set with smaller brilliants, interspersed with eight larger cushion-cut diamonds, silver-gilt open back and brooch pin.Mary, Duchess of Gloucester (?); by whom bequeathed to Augusta, Duchess of Cambridge(?); by whom bequeathed to Queen Mary(?)
Intaglio bust of George IV (1762-1830) in profile to the right. He is bare headed and wears classical drapery around his shoulders. Signed in reverse below drapery: R . B & R . F t ., (for the Royal goldsmiths, Rundell, Bridge and Rundell from 1797 to 1840). This brooch is not recorded in any royal inventories and thus its provenance remains uncertain. However, it may be identifiable with the ‘large Amethyst set with diamonds with George the Fourth’s head engraved upon it’ bequeathed by Princess Mary, Duchess of Gloucester, to Augusta, Duchess of Cambridge, in 1857. It may therefore have entered the Royal Collection through Queen Mary, who was the granddaughter of the Duchess of Cambridge.
|Queen Mary's Emerald Cross|
Obverse: cross formed of seven emeralds in varying shaped table-cuts and box settings. Along the side panels is a frieze in black enamel with a stylised leaf pattern. The cross is inserted into a white enamel frame with opaque blue, translucent green scrollwork and strapwork and a translucent red enamel rosette. With integrated white enamel suspension loop and three pearl pendants.
Reverse: gold backplate with rounded cross ends, outlined in translucent green enamel with foliage and red rosettes. Two rampant heraldic lions face one another in the oval-shaped cross end. Remnants of a hinge on the backplate indicate that it originally opened, possibly revealing compartments for relics. The surrounding edge of the frame was adapted to fit the backplate. This cross is a marriage of three earlier elements which may have been assembled in the nineteenth century or later. Whereas the ornamental decoration and enamel colours of the frame are late sixteenth century, the backplate with its symmetrical ornament with crossed lines in combination with birds, rosettes and lions is typical of the early eighteenth century. The stylised frieze along the sides of the inserted emerald cross lacks any distinctive features and the settings of the emeralds merely imitate the Renaissance type; this element may therefore be a nineteenth century addition. It was possibly at that time that the cross was assembled into its current form.
|The 'Ladies of Devonshire' Earrings|
Purchased by the Ladies of Devonshire, headed by Lady Clinton, as a wedding present for Princess May of Teck (later Queen Mary) and made to match a pearl and diamond necklace presented by the ‘Ladies of England’.
The earrings were a wedding present from Queen Mary to Princess Elizabeth in 1947. The Queen wears them quite frequently.
The Emerald and Diamond Brooch
Presented to Queen Mary
at the Delhi Durbar by the
Ladies of India and inherited by Queen Elizabeth in 1953. The large hexagonal emerald, in a gold and silver setting encircled by brilliant-cut diamonds, is carved with a rose on the front and a plant on the back.
Diamond Jewels|Queen Mary Marriage Presents Wedding jewels reflect the taste and style of the time and often the preferences of the groom, but May of Teck was an jewel victim and and she had her own taste. Although most antique wedding jewelry has been dismantled and remade, select pieces have survived.
In 1893 the Duke and Duchess of Teck had given the three 1850 turquoise brooches, a tiara, a necklace and earrings to their daughter, as a
wedding present. These six pieces are
now part of the Gloucester parure
and over the years another drop necklace was added. Princess May's parents gave her in addition to the turquoise pieces a brooch, necklace, pendant, sprays for the hair, earrings and breast-pin. Above in the picture we see the original version of the tiara worn by the Queen consisting of turquoise and diamonds arranged as rococo scrolls and a sunburst. Later Queen Mary found the composition too high, and it was lowered by E. Wolff & Co. in August 1912.
The three brooches [one can be seen above] had originally been a confirmation present in December 1850 to Queen Mary. Queen Mary wore the 3 brooches arranged as a stomacher pinned at the corsage.
The Tiara was later a wedding gift to her daughter-in-law Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester.
The collection is now with the current
Birgitte, Duchess of Gloucester
|History of The Cambridge Emeralds|
The story of the Cambridge Emeralds goes back to the early 19th century, when King George III's seventh son Adolphus, the Duke of Cambridge got married to Princess Augusta of Hesse, in 1818. The newly wedded couple visited Germany for their honeymoon, and happened to visit Frankfurt, where coincidentally a lottery was being held to raise funds for a charitable cause. Prince Adolphus and Princess Augusta purchased a lottery ticket, with a view of helping a worthy cause, but to their utter amazement it so happened that the Princess became the lucky winner of the prize box of 40 large emeralds, that was offered as the top prize of the lottery. The lucky couple reached England after the honeymoon, and the Princess then went about getting her newly acquired emeralds set in different pieces of jewelry such as necklaces, earrings, pendants etc. and
Francis who inherited all the emeralds gave them to his mistress, and he died suddenly at the age of 40. Following his death, Queen Mary sent an emissary to Francis' mistress, with a strong warning note and demanding the return of the emeralds. She obliged, and the emeralds originally owned by the Duchess of Cambridge thus came into Queen Mary's possession. The collection of emeralds came to be known as the Cambridge Emeralds.
It was finally left to the artisans of Garrard & Co, the Crown Jewelers, to employ their skills and experience gained over the years, in fashioning one of the most exquisite suite of jewelry ever created in the history of the British Monarchy, that came to be known as the Cambridge and Delhi Dunbar Parure.
|THE DUCHESS OF TECK DIAMOND COLLET NECKLACE|
Seen here is the many rows of diamond necklaces that Queen Mary would wear.
The long diamond collet necklace [longest one worn here] was inherited from her mother, the Duchess of Teck.
QUEEN MARY'S PENDANT EARRINGS
These earrings were converted by Queen Mary from a pendant necklace. Each has an oval pearl suspended from a collet diamond hanging in an ornate frame of scroll design, set with diamonds.
|QUEEN ALEXANDRA'S DIAMOND COLLIER RESILLE|
Queen Mary...in 1947 is wearing Queen Alexandra's Diamond Collier Résille
Made by Cartier in 1904.
(FULL DESCRIPTION IN ALEXANDRA'S JEWEL COLLECTION)
Rose of York Brooch
1893 Gold, enamel, diamond 2.8 x 1.7x1
This brooch originally formed the centrepiece of a bracelet.
At the wedding of the Duke and Duchess of York (the future King George V and Queen Mary) in 1893 each bridesmaid received one as a present from the bridegroom, whose emblems are integral to the design.
The diamond anchor recalls Prince George’s naval career and the white flower is a Rose of York, highlighting his recent creation as Duke of York.
Pair of Gold and Diamond Bangles, late 19th century
A wedding present to Queen Mary in 1893 from the Bombay Presidency, and from Queen Mary to Princess Elizabeth (Elizabeth II) in 1947.
AN ANTIQUE DIAMOND PENDANT
Designed as a marquise-cut diamond drop within a graduated double border of old-cut diamonds to the scroll surmount, circa 1870, 4.6 cm. high.
This pendant was given to H.M. Queen Mary by her husband H.M. King George V as a birthday present on 26th May 1918.
This pendant was part of the collection of HRH Princess Margaret (her granddaughter) and was sold in an auction at Christie's in London, 2006.
|COUNTY OF CORNWALL DIAMOND AND RUBY ROSE BRACELET|
The County of Cornwall gave the bride, when she married the Duke of York in 1893, a ruby and diamond bracelet incorporating a detachable centrepiece in the shape of a rose.
She was given a number of jewels in the shape of the Rose of York, in honour of her new title.
She wrote a letter to Lady St Germans, about the ruby diamond gold-cuff bracelet:
"When you came to bring me the present from the people of Cornwall I felt quite unable to express the deep gratitude I felt at receiving the very beautiful ruby and diamond bracelet. II ask you kindly to convey to them my warmest and utmost grateful thanks for the very lovely gift from Cornwall...believe me, yours very sincerely MAY."
In 1898 Queen Mary, at this time Duchess of York, wore the diamond and ruby centerpiece as a brooch on her collar.
She gave this ruby and diamond gold cuff bracelet as a wedding gift to her granddaughter, the future Queen Elizabeth II.
|RUSSIAN SAPPHIRE PEARL NECKLACE of MARIE FEODOROVNA|
The Empress Marie Feodorovna, Queen Alexandra’s younger sister had one of the most valuable collections of jewellery. Interspaced in this 4 row choker of 164 pearls, are 20 diamond studded vertical bars, between every two pearls at the front and then between every three pearls at the back. The necklace is made to convert into two bracelets. The octagonal clasp is a large sapphire surrounded by two rows of diamonds. Marie wore the choker with the sapphire at the back, as seen in this picture above. Following her death in exile in Denmark in 1928, after the Russian revolution, her jewels were sold in England by Hennell & Son.
Queen Mary bought the necklace in 1931.
The Queen inherited it upon the death of Queen Mary in 1953.
The necklace is not worn on a regular basis but it has been worn by HRH Princess Anne, Princess Royal (only daughter of Elizabeth II) as seen in this picture.
|CARTIER PEARL NECKLACE|
Provenance: The Collection of HRH Queen Mary, gifted to her beloved son the Duke of Windsor
The Jewels of the Duchess of Windsor, Sotheby’s Geneva, April 2, 1987, lot 65.
The single-strand natural pearl and diamond necklace is a signature piece of Cartier's of Paris, designed and executed by the company for Queen Mary of Teck, during the reign of her husband King George V, from 1910 to 1936. The necklace is composed of 28 natural pearls ranging in size from approximately 9.2 mm to 16.8 mm. The length of the necklace is 14 inches, which under the modern system of classification of necklaces, adopted by Mikimoto, based on their length, falls under a "choker."
The Duchess of Windsor pearl and diamond necklace was also part of her valuable pearl jewelry collection, which she later gave to her eldest son Edward, who ascended the throne of the United Kingdom as Edward VIII.
This single-strand natural pearl and diamond necklace was a gift from Queen Mary. It is said that it was a final gesture of reconciliation to her beloved son and his wife whom she never knew.
The pearls were bought by the Klein family when they went up for auction in the 60s along with other jewels of the Duchess of Windsor.
|THE ROSE OF YORK|
One of the gifts from Prince George, the bridegroom, was a diamond rose brooch in the style of the "Rose of York".
As well, the present of the West Yorkshire Regiment was a diamond rose brooch, designed and executed by the Goldsmiths' and Silversmiths' Company.
The brooch given by the West Yorkshire Regiment was later presented to the Queen Mother as a wedding present upon her marriage to the Duke of York and - later passed to Princess Margaret and was described in the auction of her jewels: AN ANTIQUE DIAMOND ROSE OF YORK BROOCH
Naturalistically modelled, the overlapping cinquefoil petals set with cushion-shaped and rose-cut diamonds, mounted in silver and gold, circa 1860, wide 3.9 cm, price £42,000 ($77,280)
Princess Mary wore the rose-brooch of Prince George on her arm as a bracelet.
The Queen’s collection of diamond bracelets includes a set of two matching bracelets composed of chain links between diamond plaques which came from Queen Mary’s stash. Mary bought the first from Garrard in 1932, and then had a matching one made three years later to hold a 9.75 carat diamond from the Premier Mines given to her during a visit to South Africa.
The bracelets were made to join together to create a choker. They are nearly identical, one having a larger plaque for the South African diamond.
The Queen inherited the bracelets from her grandmother in 1953, and she wears them regularly – though she does not use them in choker fashion. She generally wears only one, typically on her right wrist while her left holds an evening watch.
|THE DIAMOND SAUTOIR NECKLACE|
A very long diamond necklace that Queen Mary often wore, features large diamonds, separated by smaller ones.
The necklace can barely be seen in this photo which also features the Teck collet diamond necklace.
MORE BRITISH JEWELS ON PAGE 2
Includes Queen Alexandra, Queen Victoria, The Duchess of Windsor, and other nobility.
Includes Queen Alexandra, Queen Victoria, The Duchess of Windsor, and other nobility.
Some jewels already have the source in the box, for others:
Alexander Palace Time Machine Forums
Christie's of London ONLINE
Cartier by Hans Nadelhoffer
Internet Stones website
Mandy's British Royalty Blog: British Jewels
The Official Royal Collection website
"The Royal Jewels" -REVISED- by Suzy Menkes
"The Queen's Jewels" by Leslie Field
The Royal Magazine website
The Royal Forums
Some jewels already have the source in the box, for others:
Alexander Palace Time Machine Forums
Christie's of London ONLINE
Cartier by Hans Nadelhoffer
Internet Stones website
Mandy's British Royalty Blog: British Jewels
The Official Royal Collection website
"The Royal Jewels" -REVISED- by Suzy Menkes
"The Queen's Jewels" by Leslie Field
The Royal Magazine website
The Royal Forums
|Started By||Thread Subject||Replies||Last Post|
|GoldenAged.ER||Firefox||2||Nov 12 2010, 2:15 AM EST by MsSquirrly|
Thread started: Nov 11 2010, 7:48 PM EST Watch
If you are having trouble viewing this page -- try using firefox as it is updated and made by using the firefox browser -- if you are using Internet explorer which is not considered to be as secure as firefox, it will cut off the right side of the pages done by me, Goldenaged.er
Showing 1 of 1 threads for this page