Sign in or
FUN FACTS about the Tudors
The Tudors (in history, the actors & the series)
If you know something FUN
ie. amusing, odd, quirky, unusual, different and maybe strange
that might make us smile or that we might not know about
add it here!
click the easyedit button
| King Henry VIII|
- Henry had a fondness for fart Jokes and other less sociable body functions
- He built a 2-story, communal public lavatory with 14 seats at Hampton Court.( The mind boggles at 14 people all sitting together doing their "business")
- He was a big gambler and in two years it was recorded he lost £3,250 on cards which by today's standards is an enormous amount and he would be a candidate for Gamblers Anonymous ( if he wasn't a king)
- Despite having his own mistresses, it was forbidden for a man to appear in public with his mistress.
- Henry had a remarkable memory and could remember the names of every servant employed in all the royal households.
- It is said, that even though he was a large man, he had a high pitched voice
- He loved to dress up in costume, and "was especially fond of bursting in upon Queen Katherine of Aragon and took boyish delight in these disguisings. Katherine seemingly never tired of feigning astonishment that it was her husband who had surprised her." He tried this unsuccessfully later with his 4th wife-to-be, Anne of Cleves who did not have the same reaction as her predecessor and he came out the room declaring : "I like her not!"
- Henry liked to mix with the "common people" and at the christening of his first son with Katherine of Aragon, who lived for only a few weeks, he allowed peasants at the celebration to rip his clothes off him, while he just laughed.
- He self-medicated and his prescription book shows methods for treating ulcers, some of them apparently devised by Henry himself. He was terrified of catching the plague, spending most summers away from London to avoid it.
- In an age, where few people bathed regularly, Henry was ahead of his time as he was fastidious and obsessed with cleaning due to his fear of germs.
- By the end of his life, his waistline measured 4 and half feet around and there were mechanical devices made to get him in and out of bed ....and on and off his horse.
- Henry was a big spender. His post-mortem inventory listed nearly 20,000 items, including the largest tapestry collection on record, 70 ships and 6,500 handguns. He died in massive debt.
-It is a myth that Katherine grew up in the Alhambra Palace in Granada - she spent more time in other cities such as Barcelona and Cordoba. For most of her childhood, she travelled the length and breadth of Spain following the itinerent court of her parents, which must have been good practice for moving from palace to palace with Henry.
-Katherine was known to have a low and resounding voice.
-Anne owned dogs and it was recorded that she had a Greyhound named Urian and a poodle named Purkoy reportedly named for the French word pourquoi, meaning,"why?" A pourquoi head tilt is a gesture particularly common to Havanese dogs.
The little dog fell out a window and was killed a few weeks before Anne's execution and no one wanted to tell her because they knew how much she loved the little dog.
-She was known to dislike monkeys and peacocks
- Jane was extremely talented at needlework.
- The bed in which Jane gave birth to Edward VI and later died in remained in Hampton court until the 1580's.
-Jane had very strict dress codes for her ladies, once replacing one of her ladies whole wardrobe just because it was in the french fashion.
|Actors on The Tudors|
| Jonathan Rhys Meyers|
- JRM owns a horse named "Belle" but he doesn't own a car
- He has a pet chihuahua called "Boo Boo"
- He "hates computers" (only uses it for itunes to download world music, like Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan)
- Has a knack for languages. Speaks nine languages, including Italian, French, Nepalese, and Russian.
- If he wasn't an actor he would have joined the Military Forces just like his brothers & father.
- Has an interest in Egyptology.
He has auditioned for various super hero movies (Superman Returns, Batman Begins) eventually winning the role of Superman, in 'Superman,,' Man of Steel, set for release in 2013. He also stars as Theseus in the 2011 epic movie 'Immortals,' currently in post production. (He also auditioned for Casino Royale but lost to Daniel Craig because Cavill was thought to young for the role.
- Owns her own record label named Mermaid Records.Below is a video of "Mother".
Taken from the Mermaid Records Album "MÜTTER" 2007.
- After learning a bit of Spanish for her role in "The Tudors", she took some more lesson's and moved over there for some time.
- Was pregnant for the second series and gave birth to a boy.
| Natalie Dormer|
- Speaks French
- Quite skilled at fencing and is a member of the London fencing academy
- Mezzo soprano singer & trained dancer
- Enjoys playing poker, favorite game is Texas Hold'Em, has the poker nickname "The Queen"
- Has a fascination with combat and weapons. She studied hand to hand combat and trained with all different kinds of swords and weaponry.
- Although Jane Seymour avoided the fate of being sent to the Tower, Anita's character in Dr Who almost died there when she nearly walked off the roof whilst being under a hypnotised state.
-Earlier this year (2009), Anita appeared in The Airborne Toxic Event’s music video for “Sometime Around Midnight”
| Annabelle Wallis|
- On her resume, her performance skills include modern dancing and athletic skills, hip hop and rollerblading.
- She speaks Portuguese, French, Spanish & Armenian.
-Annabelle was part of set of women who auditioned for Jane Seymour in the second season of The Tudors, but Anita Briem recieved the role. When Anita dropped out before the third season, Annabelle was called back to play Jane Seymour.
| Joss Stone|
| Tamzin Merchant|
- In "Pride and Prejudice" Tamzin played the piano forte herself
- Tamzin appeared in the Groove Armada/Mutya Buena Music Video - 'Song 4 Mutya'
- Tamzin appears briefly in Jamie T's 'If You Got The Money' Music Video.
- Has two poems published for Platforms Magazine: “Ode to a Toilet” and “Where Does Revent Stop?”
- Has played a queen before in The Affair of the Necklace as Marie Antoinette.
- Her ex-husband is Tim Bevan who is one of the producers of the show.
- Before she became an Actress, Joely was on her way to becoming a Tennis Star after receiving a scholarship to Harry Hopman Tennis School in Tampa, FL. Her father put a stop to it and Joely followed in her sisters footsteps as an actress.
-Joely's mother, Vanessa Redgrave, has played two prominant figures in Tudor history before her: Anne Boleyn in A Man For All Seasons, and Mary of Scotland in Mary, Queen of Scots.
|The Tudors series|
| Steven Waddington's character is de-capitated. The model of his head created for that scene was flown in and used again for Buckingham's beheading in Season 1, episode 2 |
| Katherine of Aragon|
- Maria Doyle Kennedy was pregnant during the filming of the second series so they had to use trick lighting, camera angles, good use of costuming and props to conceal the bump.
- Callum Blue broke his arm during the filming of the first season so his line's had to go to other characters making him not as prominent as scripted as they did not have casts in Tudor Times!.
- In order to be more believable as Anne of Cleves, Joss Stone had to learn how to play the harpischord.
- Joss also had to have heavy make-up to cover her nose-peircing and tattoos.
The Many Thomas' of The Tudors.
Have ever noticed that there were a lot of men in the court of King Henry VIII who bore the name Thomas?!
Here are just a few to name:
Thomas Cromwell, Sir Thomas Boleyn, Thomas Cranmer, Thomas Tallis, Thomas Howard, Thomas Wyatt, Thomas Wolsey, Thomas More to name a few.
The interesting fact is that,Anthony Knivert's first name was really 'Thomas' and was changed for what ever the reason in The Tudors series, quite possibly because of the amount of Thomas' in King Henry's Court!
Latest page update: made by Merlie
, Aug 5 2011, 3:51 PM EDT
(about this update
About This Update
update on Henry Cavill
34 words added
6 words deleted
- complete history)
More Info: links to this page
|Started By||Thread Subject||Replies||Last Post|
|royalfalcon||Its A Fact - The Actors (page: 1 2)||30||Sep 29 2011, 12:33 PM EDT by LadyTudorsFan|
Thread started: Sep 9 2011, 10:19 AM EDT Watch
Last year I started a game where we put ten facts about Henry his wives and courtiers. I thought we could have a new version with members of the cast. Starting with JRM, Henry Cavill & James Frain and then going onto other cast members. I will start us off with facts about JRM. If each person playing can copy the list and then write their fact and also put a number by the side when we have 10 facts we go onto the next actor which will be Henry Cavill. when we have 10 facts about him we go onto James Frain. .
1) JRM was born Jonathan Michael Francis O'Keefe on the 27.7.1977 in Dublin
2) The family moved to Cork when Jonathan was nearly one year old
|royalfalcon||A New Tudor Game - It's A Fact (page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... last page)||282||Feb 21 2011, 3:38 AM EST by royalfalcon|
Thread started: Aug 3 2010, 7:37 AM EDT Watch
I have come up with an idea for a new game which I will call It's A Fact. The idea is that we write ten facts about King Henry VIII and then ten facts about his six wives. We write them in an impartial way (no haters please) just as if we were reporting them on a news broadcast. When we have written ten facts about Henry we then go onto the six wives - taking them in the order that they became Queen. We could always add on a few more important Tudor Characters such as Thomas Wolsey and Thomas Cromwall at a later date. If everybody could put a number before their comment that would be helpful. When we get to the final fact on the last wife. We then go back to Henry again. I will start things off. .
1) King Henry VIII was made Defender of the Faith by Pope Leo X in 1521
|CathiiLiiciiouz||how funny||0||May 3 2010, 3:03 AM EDT by CathiiLiiciiouz|
Showing 3 of 3 threads for this page